Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Chicago Tribune: "Isiah Thomas’ heart still in Chicago"; Interested in DePaul

Here we go again…

"Thomas is under contract to coach basketball at Florida International University — placing him in an awkward situation and understandably forcing that school to contradict a Tribune story about his interest in coming to DePaul. But his heart clearly is in Chicago."

Story
Back to the top

Re: Chicago Tribune: "Isiah Thomas’ heart still in Chicago"; Interested in DePaul

What are the odd's on Mr. Thomas being at FIU next season?? And if he leaves, should his "high ranking" recruiting class be allowed to follow him???
Back to the top

Re: Chicago Tribune: "Isiah Thomas’ heart still in Chicago"; Interested in DePaul

I think he's a goner. He went to FIU to get into the college game, he made a big splash and now he's going to move on. Kind of like what Doh did to us. If he leaves before these kids sign their LOI to play for FIU they can follow him if they want. If he leaves after they sign I think they have to petition the NCAA and say they chose FIU because of Thomas and he left

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Chicago Tribune: "Isiah Thomas’ heart still in Chicago"; Interested in DePaul

I think he will be at FIU next year.  There are coaches out there that have proven something.  Not saying Thomas won't be a good collegiate coach, but saying he has not proven anything on the court yet.  It would be difficult for a university to justify hiring him right now, unless you are in the same position as FIU and I doubt he would go somewhere that is another mid major.
Back to the top

DePaul is a program with some history and a much stronger basketball tradition. I think if he wants to be in Chicago and coach a team that has potential to be a tournament team then DePaul is a pretty attractive position for him. He is going to have to negotiate his way out of FIU, but I think he will do it.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I think he would go to DePaul in a second.  They have lots of cash to offer and it his home.  I am saying he will not be offered.  I have read where he may be interested (he has denied the claim), but have not heard DePaul is interested.  If you want a young up and coming coach, throw your millions towards Butler's coach.  I would be surprised if DePaul is interested, but who knows…

Now if he brings in those recruits and shows he can coach them and wins the Belt and gets to the dance, then he will have shown some value, and would be more attractive and less of a risk IMO.
Back to the top

What'd Rex do in his time at FAU? Not a heckuva a lot. I know there's a HUGE difference between SanFrancisco and Depaul but its not always about what have you done as a coach and more about name recognition.

Rex was hired away after 2 seasons of mediocre basketball at FAU

Back to the top

Jab979 said

What'd Rex do in his time at FAU? Not a heckuva a lot. I know there's a HUGE difference between SanFrancisco and Depaul but its not always about what have you done as a coach and more about name recognition.

I agree, but Rex didn't cost his previous employer $11M in a lawsuit, etc. Rex didn't bankrupt an entire league and run an nba team in the ground.  Just saying there are more risks with Thomas so if I'm a university, I want to see some actual performance on the court to balance the risk with potential.

But totally agree with you that Rex didn't do squat at FAU and got a huge raise for proving nothing.

It's not impossible; look what the Indiana Hoosiers did to themselves by hiring Kelvin Sampson.  Dumb move but it can happen.
Back to the top

fauowl said

look what the Indiana Hoosiers did to themselves by hiring Kelvin Sampson.

The Hoosiers have gone from elite, to defeat…….
Back to the top

fauowl said

Jab979 said

I agree, but Rex didn't cost his previous employer $11M in a lawsuit, etc. Rex didn't bankrupt an entire league and run an nba team in the ground.  Just saying there are more risks with Thomas so if I'm a university, I want to see some actual performance on the court to balance the risk with potential.

But totally agree with you that Rex didn't do squat at FAU and got a huge raise for proving nothing.

It's not impossible; look what the Indiana Hoosiers did to themselves by hiring Kelvin Sampson.  Dumb move but it can happen.

Definitely valid points! I agree that if you're an NCAA team this is something that you have to take into consideration when hiring him. Just how FAU passed on Jarvis years back and went with Doh and Rex because of his past. You can't disregard your past

Back to the top
Control functions: