Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Innovation Village - It's a GO!

Add topic

Re: Innovation Village - It's a GO!

owlcountry said

The complex will increase on-campus housing by 50% and provide students a lush courtyard with green spaces, an outdoor pool, sand volleyball court, BBQ grills and outdoor seating. Other amenities will include a fitness center, convenience store, computer lab, smart technology conference rooms and multipurpose meeting areas.

I guess the millions the university just spent to put a pool and fitness center down the street wasn't enough.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

New, top of the line housing can become a major tool to draw new students to FAU over all the old, crappy housing offered at most schools. Come to FAU, live in Boca, live  in S. Fla. and enjoy the nicest housing and amenities available at any college in America! Experience the BEST on-campus living ANYWHERE!
Market this aggressively and FAU will draw excellent students from all across the country and can become much more selective and increase our academic stature as well. FAU will no longer be called a commuter school very soon!
Back to the top

If you're going to talk asbestos you can't forget about Modoc lol

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

FAUtuba said

owlcountry said

The complex will increase on-campus housing by 50% and provide students a lush courtyard with green spaces, an outdoor pool, sand volleyball court, BBQ grills and outdoor seating. Other amenities will include a fitness center, convenience store, computer lab, smart technology conference rooms and multipurpose meeting areas.

I guess the millions the university just spent to put a pool and fitness center down the street wasn't enough.
When I read that I just assumed they were refering to the new wellness center which would be a short walk right accross the street. With funds so hard to come by, I seriously doubt they would be duplicating anything like that.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

FAUtuba said

owlcountry said

When I read that I just assumed they were referring to the new wellness center which would be a short walk right accross the street. With funds so hard to come by, I seriously doubt they would be duplicating anything like that.

It will be comparable to the average apartment pool + fitness center - a room with a couple of treadmills and a multipurpose free weight machine, that sort of thing - not the average LA Fitness or University Rec Center. It's a duplication of services because it's Crocker, not FAU, and Crocker wants to compete with the amenities offered by off-campus apartment complexes.

Don't be surprised if the second phase of the IV apartments does the same thing. We'd have four pools on campus.

That said, Campus Rec isn't concerned that it will affect attendance at their pool too much. Why should they? The Campus Rec pool can sustain maybe 100 people. When you have 1200 living back there, you're going to need additional pool and deck space anyway.

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

New, top of the line housing can become a major tool to draw new students to FAU over all the old, crappy housing offered at most schools. Come to FAU, live in Boca, live  in S. Fla. and enjoy the nicest housing and amenities available at any college in America! Experience the BEST on-campus living ANYWHERE!
Market this aggressively and FAU will draw excellent students from all across the country and can become much more selective and increase our academic stature as well. FAU will no longer be called a commuter school very soon!

One of the big problems we have is admitting students who live so close to home and then putting them into campus housing that essentially gives them no personal space whatsoever. GPT and HPT - the two main dorms for freshmen - have no personal living rooms or kitchens. They only have bedrooms, a hallway and a bathroom. It's just not a viable arrangement long term. The architects thought this would force socialization as students left their rooms to hang out in designated community spaces. Instead, their design motivates students to go home over the weekend and live in a "normal" space. That kills the campus on the weekends.

Every new dorm we build needs to be apartment-style and I'm glad these new dorms are taking that approach. I'm hoping Phase II is open to freshmen. We can't pretend like offering shoeboxes to freshmen, no matter how shiny, is ever going to have a positive effect on our retention and campus life.

Unfortunately GPT and HPT are already built and therefore "locked in" to the architecture. Once the two phases of IV are open, however, Housing needs to have serious discussions about taking the double suites in GPT and HPT and halving the capacity so that one room can be a living room.
Back to the top

Innovation Village - It's a GO!

when are the shovels in the ground for the new dorms?

Exit 39
Algonquin 98'
Back to the top

owlcountry said

GeorgiaOwl said

New, top of the line housing can become a major tool to draw new students to FAU over all the old, crappy housing offered at most schools. Come to FAU, live in Boca, live  in S. Fla. and enjoy the nicest housing and amenities available at any college in America! Experience the BEST on-campus living ANYWHERE!

One of the big problems we have is admitting students who live so close to home and then putting them into campus housing that essentially gives them no personal space whatsoever. GPT and HPT - the two main dorms for freshmen - have no personal living rooms or kitchens. They only have bedrooms, a hallway and a bathroom. It's just not a viable arrangement long term. The architects thought this would force socialization as students left their rooms to hang out in designated community spaces. Instead, their design motivates students to go home over the weekend and live in a "normal" space. That kills the campus on the weekends.

Every new dorm we build needs to be apartment-style and I'm glad these new dorms are taking that approach. I'm hoping Phase II is open to freshmen. We can't pretend like offering shoeboxes to freshmen, no matter how shiny, is ever going to have a positive effect on our retention and campus life.

Unfortunately GPT and HPT are already built and therefore "locked in" to the architecture. Once the two phases of IV are open, however, Housing needs to have serious discussions about taking the double suites in GPT and HPT and halving the capacity so that one room can be a living room.

They are somewhat dealing with this by only allowing Freshman to live in the residents halls. GPT, HPT and 3 floors of IRT are all Freshman. The idea is that the residents halls will be completely for freshman and the Village Apartments and new apartments will be for upper classmen and grad students. I don't think not having a kitchen keeps students from going home. Also, students who live out of a 50 mile radius get first dibs in the lottery so students who do live close have less of an opportunity to get a spot. Eventually as more and more students from further away come to FAU, this problem will be eliminated, but until then we'll have to deal with 3/4 full residents halls on the weekends.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

One of the big problems we have is admitting students who live so close to home and then putting them into campus housing that essentially gives them no personal space whatsoever. GPT and HPT - the two main dorms for freshmen - have no personal living rooms or kitchens. They only have bedrooms, a hallway and a bathroom. It's just not a viable arrangement long term.

What universities don't have housing like this that are "traditional" undergraduate schools? The school I work at has both styles of living arrangements. It makes living affordable to those that can't afford apartment-style living.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

owlcountry said

One of the big problems we have is admitting students who live so close to home and then putting them into campus housing that essentially gives them no personal space whatsoever. GPT and HPT - the two main dorms for freshmen - have no personal living rooms or kitchens. They only have bedrooms, a hallway and a bathroom. It's just not a viable arrangement long term.

smittysahoot said

What universities don't have housing like this that are "traditional" undergraduate schools? The school I work at has both styles of living arrangements. It makes living affordable to those that can't afford apartment-style living.

I have to agree with Smitty on this one. Traditional college housing has been a bedroom, study area and bathroom. It does make it more affordable. Thats is all we had when I lived in the dorms at FAU. They all were like that. Times have changed. A spartan lifestyle was no big deal. The parents of my generation grew up in the depression and they reminded us of that all the time.
It may have just been that span of time, but, the dorm area stayed fairly busy on the weekend when I was there. There were a bunch of out of state students living in the dorms. Many from NY and NJ. I was from North FL so I only went home once or twice a semester.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: