Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Alumni Donations Lowest in State

Add topic

This is pretty concerning!  ???

Good thing the Medical Schools is right around the corner, we need to start bringing in some funds.

=================================================

If you've received your diploma from Florida Atlantic University, chances are good you've written your last check to the university.

Alumni giving is dismal, according to a report that FAU's Board of Trustees reviewed Wednesday. Just 1.6 percent of all FAU graduates donate to the school, the lowest of any public university in the state.

"This shows a lack of caring about the university. This is embarrassing," said Jeffrey Feingold, a new member of the trustees.

Story
Back to the top

Re: FAU Alumni Donations Lowest in State

FAU Alumni Donations Lowest in State

This is a convoluted problem that won't change overnight. The factors at play:

- We are not consistently national contenders in The Two Big Sports
- A large swath of the student body uses FAU as a "second chance institution" and has no desire to get involved in the kind of campus experiences that would help them connect with the university while another large swath of the student body needs to work 20-40 hours a week on top of attending classes full time, leaving them no time to get involved in the kind of campus experiences that would help them connect with the university
- Frustration with lack of parking, slim availability of classes and escalating fees make many students feel like its an ordeal to be here and they can't wait to finish
- No Greek Houses, no big parties on campus mean fewer good memories of the college years
- Campus Life has been a low priority of the FAU BOT for many, many years
- FAU's name has not helped alums get jobs so they don't feel indebted to the university after they score a great position

Knowing this, is it any surprise the donations are low?

The good news is that we're moving in the right direction with all the components of the Innovation Village. I wouldn't hold my breath on the med school alums… I'm not 100% on this but M.D.s tend not to give much back to their medical schools.

They definitely need to continue on the Senior Class projects though. People really like something tangible they can touch and feel and show off.

Back to the top

I agree with your points OwlCountry and I love that you used the word "swath" not once but twice in that post.  Bravo.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I remember reading on here people saying when called about donations they said fire Kirk Hozza and I will donate money. Well now it's build the football stadium and I will donate money. Once the stadium is built and innovation village is starting to take shape I think they will start to see an increase in donations.

As alumni, students, fans we're just tired of waiting for this stadium to be built. We have the pieces in place for an amazing basketball season in the next few years. Building the stadium for football can possibly do the same thing and then the money will start to come in

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

The article does mention the 70's and 80's alumns, which is when I attended. These are the alumns who are far along in their careers and should be giving generously. There were ~1,000 students living on campus back then. I would guess they are part of the 1.6% that do give. I lived on campus and most of us that lived on campus were high on FAU. Aside from that, there wasn't much for the commuter students that had daytime jobs and went to school at night. The students that made the long commute from Stuart, Port St Lucie, Jupiter, Ft Pierce and Palm Beach Gardens (no satelite campus in those days) were so far removed from the campus they didn't get involved. Most of the commuter students that attended during the day showed up for class and immediately went home. It was a quiet campus in those days.

There wasn't even a gymnasium. Just a small field house and a pool. There was no team sports until baseball started in 1981. All the planned activities basically were geared toward the 1,000 students living in campus housing.

I can sort of see why most of the FAU alumns felt no attachment to the university. They didn't care. It was a means of getting a better job. Most weren't there for the "college experience". For many, FAU was the most convenient place to go. Commuter campuses are not a very old concept. It takes interstates and large population bases. Most interstates were built in the last 50 years. There isn't too much experience to ride on. I don't think anyone could forsee this problem 50 years ago. Commuter campuses probably seemed like a good idea back then. If the BOT had campus life as low priority until now, I'm sure they want to move it to a front burner since alumni donations suck and FAU is dead last in the state. This commuter thing isn't working to keep the university funded. When money is involved, it gets peoples attention.

I would say most or all the commuter universities across the country are looking at their alumni giving and are having similar problems.

It just hurts that FAU is the poster child for alumni apathy.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I did the math.

Lets say 115,000 alumni. 1.6%

1,840 alumni  ??? are giving  ???

either this isn't right or very sad.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

For all the professors/academics that wonder why a football program is necessary and needs funds….watch what this number does if we ever get into the top 25.  I bet it goes up 10,000%

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I did the math.

Lets say 115,000 alumni. 1.6%

1,840 alumni  ??? are giving  ???

either this isn't right or very sad.

It's a horrible number whatever the exact number happens to be.  This is why I said we all should be thrilled that we are getting a stadium and there is a reason it takes so long.

Hopefully people start to donate but there will always be those that need an excuse not to get involved.  Human nature I guess.  There will be some that now will say: well now we have a stadium, I don't need to give anything, they are doing just fine without my help.  Hopefully people give to FAU not because of a stadium or football, but they want to give back to the university to improve the university in every facet.
Back to the top

…and when ticket prices and parking fees increase dramatically (in an effort to pay for the stadium), I hope that's not an excuse to not donate. 
Back to the top

this is what f'ing pisses me off about the school. I was looking to hire 3 people, a summer intern, a office assistant and a junior trader. i emailed the college of business and put 5 emails of professors and deans. One got back to me ab out 2 weeks later with an email and someone from the career center told me i had to fill out all these forms.

how f'ing dumb is that? you do them a favor and you try to give back and they just f it up.

i did the same thing at university of chicago school of booth, sent them job descriptions and in a week i had over 200 resumes. too many dumbasses at FAU. it needs a house cleaning.

it was the same god damn story when i tried to throw that alumni party in NYC. there must be 10,000 alumni in the area and i was the only one there for 3 quarters, then two other guys showed. pathetic.

i liked brogan but i hope this new president cleans house. I give money to athletics but i'm not giving a dollar to the college of business or anything else to i see some changes.
Back to the top
Control functions: