Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fla. Tech passes football idea to president; Div II plan could come in January

Add topic

"The committee formed to explore adding football as a varsity sport at Florida Tech has completed its work and is passing its findings on to university President Anthony Catanese, who could make a go or
no-go decision next month.

Catanese expects to receive the feasibility report in January, study it and make his recommendation to the board of trustees. If the recommendation does not reach the board in time for its January meeting, it will wait until its next meeting in April."

Full Story

Back to the top

Re: Fla. Tech passes football idea to president; Div II plan could come in January

Who are they gonna play?  There aren't a lot of D2 teams in the south, and none in Florida.  Valdosta State is the closest I can think of.  Maybe Tony can drive his 'Vette there.
Back to the top

Re: Fla. Tech passes football idea to president; Div II plan could come in January

This has been in development for a while now, even a possibility of purchasing a High School campus across the street from FIT's campus. If the school gets the property it wants which is near the Washington Nationals training facility then FIT would have a shot at the campus. It has a 3 year old turf field, upgraded baseball and softball fields. As far as teams to play, within the conference it would be a little a nice road trip. OCC the have Ed Waters, Weber, Jacksonville Savannah State is about 4 hrs. Tony has impressed the community up here and I was very surprised. Although I was of the same thoughts this is going to be great we'll have a auction ever month but that hasn't happened. The Campus has taken on a new look added new programs, upgraded building added new ones including dorms. I have to admit so far he's done an excellant job and has a ton of support in the community.
Back to the top

Good luck and go for it!
Back to the top

Personally I would like to see a few DII and 1AA schools open up in florida. Keep more kids in the state
Back to the top

I almost went to FIT...they have a really nice campus and a pretty sweet rec center...not that this has anything to do with the subject,lol.
Back to the top

Friday is "D" day for the Panthers…….

==================================================

"The decision on whether Florida Tech pursues a football team will be made by the university's Board of Trustees on Friday.

f the board approves the proposal by university President Anthony Catanese, it is expected that it also will decide at what NCAA level the Division II school will compete since there are no Division II football programs in Florida. The closest are in Georgia and Alabama. There also are no Division III programs in Florida.

Also to be determined are when to begin competition and if Tech will offer scholarships like it does for its 14 existing NCAA-sanctioned sports."

Full Article
Back to the top

Fla. Tech passes football idea to president; Div II plan could come in January

Friday is "D" day for the Panthers…….

==================================================

"The decision on whether Florida Tech pursues a football team will be made by the university's Board of Trustees on Friday.

f the board approves the proposal by university President Anthony Catanese, it is expected that it also will decide at what NCAA level the Division II school will compete since there are no Division II football programs in Florida. The closest are in Georgia and Alabama. There also are no Division III programs in Florida.

Also to be determined are when to begin competition and if Tech will offer scholarships like it does for its 14 existing NCAA-sanctioned sports."

Full Article
Back to the top
Control functions: