Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

A new look at conference expansion

"With four teams gone from Conference USA, expansion will likely open up into the Sun Belt Conference and perhaps even some of the WAC. Louisiana Tech could be a target, as could Middle Tennessee, Troy and North Texas, which would give C-USA back its presence in the Northern Texas/Oklahoma area."

Sun Belt - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN

Granted this is only one projection for expansion and was written by Graham Watson of all people, but does anyone in Owl Country believe we will try to make the jump to another conference, if this expansion takes place in another year or two?

And when I say believe; I don't mean you want them to change conferences, I am asking do you think FAU has the resources to: money, fan base, facilities, student body, talent, experience, staff, etc. to do so?

I really don't think we do this time around.
Back to the top

Re: A new look at conference expansion

USF didn't have the resources to jump to the Big East but when an opportunity like that comes up you don't pass it up. If we have the stadium built by then I think its a given FAU/FIU will jump conferences before a N Texas/MTSU. Whether it be C-USA or another conference.

The fans will show up if its on campus and there's a good product on the field.

Look at basketball for an example. Before Jarvis attendance was horrible. He's put a great product on the court, people are starting to notice and they are starting to show up

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Getting those dorms built will matter greatly in attendance too. With the first phase of 1200+ beds being built now to be followed by another 1200+, if only 20% attend home games, that alone is another 500 seats filled!
And I agree, if the door opens, you can't afford not to jump. Especially if it is to one of the six superconferences (16 teams each) that will exist soon. They are doing this and HAVE TO in order to fend off the "playoff" proponents in the public and the government.
Back to the top

A new look at conference expansion

The question is WILL the door open for us?

No question that if the call comes in you go, whether your ready or not. Hell thats how we got in the SunBelt!  The Belt asked us to move up our time table to become FBS elligible (along with FIU) so that they could stay viable as a confrence. We werent really ready from a facility or fanbase perspecitve but we went anyway.

A raido station in Kansas city is reporting htat the big 10 has offers out to Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, and Rutgers. If Notre dame declines then they stop at Rutgers, If Notre dame Accepts then they pick up another team and go to 16.

The shake up could be very close. Lets just hope we get a seat at the AQ table.

IF we dont get a invite to a AQ confrenc, then Im perfectly happy to stay in the Belt.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Jab979 said

USF didn't have the resources to jump to the Big East but when an opportunity like that comes up you don't pass it up.

While USF made the jump from start-up to Big East in only 8 years, they also had more going for them then you think?
A student body of over 45,000
A pre-existing stadium with seating for more than 65,000
The school has been around longer and graduated more students = more alumni donor $

I would love for us to get out of the Belt, but I just don't see us getting a conference invite.
Back to the top

If the stadium is done it will be feasible for FAU to move into CUSA or another conference. If the stadium is not complete it will not happen.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

If a conference added FAU, FIU, USF and UCF it would have a foothold in Florida and 4 large television markets with potential rivalries…doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

The way many are laying this thing out in regards to the "super conferences" of up to 16 teams, the Big East and Big12 would possibly fold as many of their members are swept up by the Big10 and Pac10. That would only leave the SEC and ACC together with the Big10 and Pac10 as AQ conferences.

The WAC and Mtn. West could combine their remaining teams. Then what of CUSA, the MAC and the Belt? Possiblly the same. Do these "lower" conferences try to go the "super conference" route and try to forge into the AQ category or remain smaller?

IMHO, the Big East wants to remain in football which is why the retained Tagliabue, former commish of the NFL, to help them through this round of raids. I think they try to add to their remaining members with CUSA, MAC and Belt teams to keep their AQ status. And if they add UCF, FAU and FIU to USF, they have a HUGE footprint to the Florida media markets so needed for the media contracts, the lifeblood of all the conferences! That is unless they cave and merge with the remaining ACC teams, which they could very well do.

It is going to get very interesting and messy from here on guys. Let's hope we come out with a nice upward move to help our programs out!
Back to the top

C-USA will very likely be our next step…"the only variable is time"?

;D

Geography plays a part, can't see us going any higher than that, and agree with Captain Owlmerica's points on logistics…

The TV market is our trump for any invite.
Back to the top

I like the scenario that pulls all the remaining Florida non-AQ schools into a "Big Atlantic" conference. Otherwise - as much as I hate to admit it - I think UCF and FIU would get the nod for a BCS conference (in that order) before us.

Our facilities, our fanbase, our academics - it all needs significant improvement. A new football stadium is going to boost enthusiasm but it's not going to single-handedly save us.
Back to the top
Control functions: