Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Introducing...The Taylor Bell...

Stopped by the Alumni Center yesterday to tie up some lose ends, and when walking in to the second floor office complex, it was hard to miss this:

Back to the top

Re: Introducing...The Taylor Bell...

Good timing, as I was able to spend some time with Paul Metcalf, Asst. Dir. for Alumni Relations about the new dinger which will be rang after victories at home football and basketball victories…

Paul yanked the striker a couple times, and will tell you that this thing packs a wallop…

He said that in case the football team makes a bowl, the bell will be shipped to the location to ensure its participation…for games at Lockhart, a pick-up will do just fine…

Now, Paul is not a small man…he is 6’-7”, and would guess about 285 lbs…below, he is sizing up the competition while holding a traditional hand hell bell which might be seen on a hotel counter…

Back to the top

Introducing...The Taylor Bell...

Here’s a close up of the bell…

Back to the top

Crash Taylor, who sponsored the bell and gave it its name, did a fine job on building the cart the bell is attached to…it even comes with a nice steering rod, inflatable tires, and has a parking block to match…

Looking forward to hearing this bad boy ring "officially" in the Fall…

Back to the top

I love it. Hopefully this will be the start of a great new tradition. When they talk about FAU they will talk about the ringing of the Taylor Bell after every victory

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Very nice, I was wondering how much that sucker weighs, including the frame and cart?
Back to the top

Not that bad actually…it moves quite easily with the wheels, etc…

"36" H x 15" W, 50 Pounds in weight, ridge polished brass bell with shackle"
Back to the top

I guess that is the weight of the bell alone? It looks real good but when you mentioned pick-up truck to the local games, it looks heavy, wood frame and wheels and all, to load lift into the back of a pick-up. Thanks for sharing and the info! Looking forward to hearing it rung A LOT in the future!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Thanks for sharing and the info! Looking forward to hearing it rung A LOT in the future!

Agreed - I was really looking forward to seeing this thing! I'm wondering where this would be rung, for instance, outside the stadium somewhere? I'm sure they're not going to bring it out to the center of the field after the players have cleared off and ring it then…
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I guess that is the weight of the bell alone?

Yep, bell alone…
Back to the top
Control functions: