Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Fires Longtime University Press Adviser Michael Koretzky

Add topic

Photo www.koretzky.com

"Florida Atlantic University's contentious, beloved, outspoken, and sometimes reviled student paper adviser, Michael Koretzky, was fired Friday. Officials announced the changing of the guard yesterday. Student Media Director Marti Harvey will replace him for the time being.

When we reached him by phone this morning,  Koretzky wouldn't comment about why he was fired other than to indicate he didn't see eye to eye with management about the direction and tenor of the paper."

Full Story
Back to the top

Re: FAU Fires Longtime University Press Adviser Michael Koretzky

thank god. FAU is improving with every move it makes in the next few years and all that comes from the UP is negativity. most of their articles are counter-productive in boosting the morale of the students and just because it's Boca doesn't mean that our school has to represent that superficial, gossip-filled lifestyle.
Back to the top

I'm shocked… this was a terrible move, IMO.

As Smitty can attest to, Koretzky's amazing. Cynical as hell, sure, but he exercised tough love, had the respect of everyone who worked for him (that I'm aware of) and he transitioned his best UP alum into industry jobs. If you worked your ass off for there and you were a halfway competent writer, he'd do whatever he could to get you a job as a journalist (and that's not easy), from tearing apart resumes to setting up networking events with editors. I always thought he was underutilized as the UP advisor when he should really be employed here as a professor.

That said, I believe this decision was made because the UP has been fairly stagnant in the past few years and FAU brass want the paper to transition into a full-fledged daily. That was the rumor going around before I left. Koretzky was a realist, which meant he often said "we can't" about a lot of things. "We can't compete with the Alligator", "We can't be a more traditional newspaper", "we can't be a daily." He probably conveyed these sentiments to the new Director of Student Media, who unfortunately was hired to change the direction.

Back to the top

He certainly gave me some tough love, and it was great. I appreciated it.

I don't know what happened, and it's none of my business, but it was noted in a comment to one of the newspaper articles about this that Owl TV station manager also was let go. About a year ago, there was talk about hiring a Director of Student Media to oversee all of the student media (which apparently happened). Whether or not that means the part-time advisers were let go, I don't know.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

FAU Fires Longtime University Press Adviser Michael Koretzky

Think you are on the right trail…

Just like when a new head coach takes over, there are staff changes…just part of the "game".
Back to the top

I wrote to Mike and offered him my condolences. He responded by sending me a link to the story of his demise, and perhaps, jailing …

Florida Autocratic University

You've got to give him credit for standing tall.
Back to the top

Absolutely. Thanks for the link!
Back to the top

Back to the top

FAU had better decide what it wants to do with its publications and move in that direction. Doing nothing, hiring no one, only  makes the media leaders look foolish.
Back to the top

Here's the latest on the saga:

Florida Autocratic University
Back to the top
Control functions: