Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Series Thread: FAU vs FIU

Add topic

Thursday's Match-up:

Florida Atlantic (31-19, 19-8) @ Florida International (30-20, 16-11)

May 20th @ 6:30pm ET

FAU: Projected starter - RHP Ryan Garton (6-2, .83 ERA)
FIU: Projected starter - LHP R.J. Fondon (4-2, 3.54 ERA)

The Series: The series is evenly split at 37 games apiece and the last time these two teams played, the Owls knocked the Panthers out of the conference tournament with a 16-6 win in eight innings.

Gametracker: HERE
Listen Live:  HERE
[br]
Inside the Panthers Dugout

• [li]The Panthers will look to play spoilers, if they complete a three-game sweep of FAU coupled with multiple losses from ULL and MTSU could possibly find themselves at the top of the conference standings when the dust settles.[/li]
    [li]The Panthers Garrett Wittels is riding a 45 game hitting streak, longest in the NCAA this season and ranks third all time (#1 Robin Ventura of Oklahoma St. in 1987 with 58 and #2 Phil Stephenson of Wichita St ,in 1981  with 47).  Wittels recently made a appearance on ESPN’s First Take with Dana Jacobson back on May 10th about his 45 game hitting streak.[/li]
    [li]FIU heads into the series leading the conference with a team batting average of .335 which is also 25th best in the country…The Panthers have seven players hitting .313 or better.[/li]
    [li]Tonights starter R.J. Fondon has been a breath of fresh air for FIU. For a pitching staff plagued with injuries, Fondon boasts a team-best 3.54 ERA, 6th overall in the conference, has posted a quality starts in six of his last seven starts and leads the team with almost a strikeout per inning. [/li]
    [li]Freshman Jabari Henry leads the Panthers in home runs (11), slugging percentage (.589) and RBI (50).[/li]

[br]
Inside the Owls Dugout
  • [li]The Owls control their own destiny heading into the conference series finale against FIU.  Win the series and will become the Sun-Belt Regular Season Champions and earn the No. 1 seed for the Sun-Belt Tournament in Murfreesboro, Tenn. May 25-29. [/li]
    [li]The Owls will be well rested and have stumbles a little as of late, going 6-4 in their last ten game and having won only once in their last four games.  Will look to end a two game losing streak and end the season on a high note.[/li]
    [li]The Owls are led by Andy Mee's .396 (3rd in the conference) with a team leading 86 hits and has 47 RBIs, 8 home runs and 15 doubles and leads the conference with 11 saves.[/li]
    [li]Dan Scheffler (.393) is the team leader with 57 RBIs and 14 home runs and leads the conference in slugging percentage at .758.[/li]
    [li]The Owls pitching staff hold a combined ERA of 4.81, anchored by Mike Gipson (3.30).[/li]

[br]
Quote of the Day:
"It's always been a good rivalry, they have a nice program and do a very good job. They have good players and we face them every year so we look forward to a good weekend."

"WE need to continue to do what we have been doing.  Our goal at the beginning of the year was to win the regular season of the conference…and continue to win two of three each weekend,  You win two of three each weekend you are going to put yourself in position to do what we have an opportunity to do."

"You don't want to harp on it…don't want to look over your shoulder…keep looking forward and winning games, like we've been doing."

-Coach McCormack, commenting on the upcoming series against Florida International

Back to the top

Re: Series Thread: FAU vs FIU

The other side from the Miami Herald this morning…….

"We still, somewhat, have our fate in our own hands,'' said FIU's Turtle Thomas, who is pursuing his first NCAA regional appearance as a manager. "It's up to us to play FAU and be successful against them."

"We need some help [to win the Sun Belt], but if you can finish top two or three, that gives you an opportunity to maybe continue after the conference tournament.''

Full Story

Back to the top

Here we go first pitch of the game for Garton is a strike!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Garton starts the inning out with a k looking. 1 down for FIU

Back to the top

Series Thread: FAU vs FIU

Wittlet with a deep fly ball to the warning track extends his hitting streak to 48 games. Runner scores on the double.

1-0 FIU

Back to the top

Correction hitting streak is at 47 I believe

Back to the top

Groundball in between ss and 3b scores another run. Owls down 2-0 now. 2 outs for FIU

Back to the top

High pop up ends the inning.

Halfway through the 1st. FIU 2 Owls coming to bat

Back to the top

Jab979 said

Correction hitting streak is at 47 I believe

Jab, the streak is 46 today, u can repost that number tomorrow  :)
Back to the top

Church gets on with an error and then is picked off at first. 1 out

Back to the top
Control functions: