Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Early look at the Sun Belt bowl picture

Early look at the Sun Belt bowl picture - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN

The Sun Belt Conference is moving up in the bowl world.

After being the only conference with just one automatic tie-in for the past nine years, the Sun Belt secured two for the next four seasons with the New Orleans and GMAC bowls. The conference also has three secondary tie-ins.

So there are more opportunities for the Sun Belt, which will make for a more interesting race to the postseason.

Here’s a look at where I see the Sun Belt’s bowl bids going:

Count on it

Troy: The Trojans lost star quarterback Levi Brown to graduation, but they had a great competition this spring and should pick up right where they left off. Almost all of the key pieces of the offense return. The questions are on defense. The Trojans are still deciding between a 3-4 and a 4-3 and will tailor to their personnel.

Middle Tennessee: There are some folks out there who are predicting a down year for the Blue Raiders. I’m not one of them. Yes, they have two new coordinators, but I think the ideas will stay the same. Quarterback Dwight Dasher will have some help with the return of Phillip Tanner, and the defense should be strong once again.

Outside shot

Louisiana-Lafayette: In four of the past five years, the Ragin’ Cajuns have achieved the six-win bowl threshold only to be denied a postseason berth. That ends this year. With more bowl opportunities for the Belt, the Ragin’ Cajuns finally get to the postseason and keep coach Rickey Bustle’s job.

Arkansas State: I expected Arkansas State to not only be in the bowl picture a year ago, but also challenge for a conference title. That didn’t happen and the Red Wolves managed just four wins. But this spring was productive, especially on offense, and Arkansas State could make a surprising run to the postseason.

Florida Atlantic: Last season was a surprise considering the Owls were picked to challenge for the conference title. They lost six of their first eight and then lost quarterback Rusty Smith. A lot of the talent from last year returns and quarterback Jeff VanCamp will be better for his playing experience a year ago. I’d expect the Owls to give Troy and Middle Tennessee a run for their money.

Louisiana-Monroe: Todd Berry spent much of the spring assessing talent, teaching his system and trying to make his team tougher, and all of that might pay off in the end. This ULM team won six games last year and returns a lot of the talent from a year ago. It’s possible that they could make another run to six wins, but will it be enough for a bowl game?

Better luck next year

Florida International: Last season, I thought the Golden Panthers were going to turn a corner after their five-win season in 2008, but they actually regressed, which makes me a little gun-shy this year. FIU will be playing with a lot of emotion this season, but I’m not sure whether that will help or hurt in the long run.

North Texas: This is the decisive year for head coach Todd Dodge and it doesn’t help that his starting quarterback is now a receiver. Since Dodge took over, the problem has been with the defense more than the offense and that’s not going to change overnight. UNT will be better, but not yet good enough to make a bowl.

Western Kentucky: First-year head coach Willie Taggart has been charged with turning the Hilltoppers around, but it's going to take some time. He doesn’t quite have the players to contend with the top teams in the conference, and right now the Hilltoppers just need to know what it's like to win a game.
Back to the top

Re: Early look at the Sun Belt bowl picture

Rick,

I think we should take a vote on this board not to discuss any previews. Its completely obvious that nobody, coaches, players, scribes, fans, etc…. have any idea what FAU is capable of. A few years ago when Rusty was a soph the D said they weren't going to give up more than 13 points a game, the sucked and the offense was awesome and the team talked about the BCS the following year. 2008 we won the conference but it was still wasn't any thought. 2009 was suppose to be all cylinders clicking and was the worst year since going 1A, worse in my opinion because of the expectations.

So to keep the hair we have left. I think there should be zero speculation onto what this team can and will accomplish. Nobody can argue the facts. Ted Hutton himself can't. And if Teddy can't, nobody can predict what this team will do.
Back to the top

That's all of sports unless you are talking about a clearly dominate team, and even then things happen: See Butler's NCAA run for prime example.

Can't take the fun out of it by eliminating speculatory postings!

;D
Back to the top

plus it's the off season, so we'd have nothing to talk about except realignment, and that has already gotten on my nerves.
Back to the top

Good, now that we are all in agreement, here's another speculatory posting with us at #102!

Orlando Sentinel Count Down

Exit should like that spot better, with little expecations attached…….

;D

Just kidding with you Exit ;)

Back to the top

since it is the orlando sentinel, wonder if they will place ucf #1 or 2?  :o
Back to the top

no matter what the scribes and prognosticators say, the game will be played on the field. Fau will have a good team this year. " We will go BOWLING AGAIN IN 2010". We have a lot of question to answer however every season is not the same. We will prevail,and when we do we will move up the charts.
Back to the top

To be honest, the entire Belt has questions. Start low and finish high is the way to go!
Back to the top

burrowing said

Fau will have a good team this year. " We will go BOWLING AGAIN IN 2010".

I hope you have an Offensive Line in your pocket because I am not seeing this at all.

We will be a good team based on what?
Back to the top

I love how the only person that is talked about is JVC, enter Alfred Morris
Back to the top
Control functions: