Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Baseball: McCormack Named SBC Coach of the Year; Four others Honored

Add topic

The Florida Atlantic University baseball team has announced that five members of the program have received All-Sun Belt honors in 2010.  FAU Baseball Head Coach John McCormack headlines the group as the second-year skipper to be named the Sun Belt Conference (SBC) Coach of the Year.

McCormack showed significant improvement from his first season to his second, as FAU went from eighth in the conference in 2009 to champions in 2010.

The Owls (33-20, 21-9) were picked to finish seventh in the SBC during the preseason selections but after winning 9-of-10 series, McCormack guided his club to the top seed for the SBC Tournament, beginning on Wednesday, May 26.  Juniors Dan Scheffler and Andy Mee also received high praise as both were named to the first team All-Sun Belt.

Mee, who was selected as an outfielder, led FAU with a .390 batting average.  The junior college transfer also led the SBC with 11 saves out of the bullpen.  Mee started all 53 games for FAU in the regular season.

Scheffler led the Owls and was among the leaders in the SBC in most power categories including home runs (14), RBI (57) and slugging percentage (.720).  The junior college transfer also started every game for FAU at first base this season.

Shortstop Nick Delguidice and starting pitcher Mike Gipson also received All-Sun Belt honors and were both named to the second team.

Delguidice has been the everyday shortstop for FAU all-season long and has started all 53 games.  The Miami native posted a .311 batting average with nine home runs and 47 RBI.  The shortstop only committed 11 errors in the field compared to 18 a season ago.

Gipson finished the season as the ace of the Owls pitching staff, posting a 7-1 record and a 3.24 ERA.  Gipson finished among the SBC leaders striking out 85 batters and posting a .227 batting average against.

The top seeded Owls will begin the 2010 Sun Belt Conference Tournament on Wednesday with a first round matchup against the No. 8 seed Western Kentucky University.  First pitch is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. EST from Reese Smith Jr. Field in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.  The game can be heard live on www.fausports.com.

Source: FAU Media Relations
Back to the top

Re: Baseball: McCormack Named SBC Coach of the Year; Four others Honored

Congrats to Coach!! Well deserved.  Congratulations to the Owls baseball team for a great season.
Back to the top

Congrats on the honors, but Gipson 2nd team???WTF?????????????
Back to the top

Rick said

The top seeded Owls will begin the 2010 Sun Belt Conference Tournament on Wednesday with a first round matchup against the No. 8 seed Western Kentucky University.  First pitch is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. EST from Reese Smith Jr. Field in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.  The game can be heard live on www.fausports.com.

Source: FAU Media Relations

Listen live to an FAU game, hahaha that's funny

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

That's funny!!!!!!!!But true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

Coach Mac is very deserving of the honors…no one expected the year the Owls had.  Now lets finish the season with a title dance.
Back to the top

Baseball: McCormack Named SBC Coach of the Year; Four others Honored

I have never had any issues listening to baseball games live on www.fausports.com

However, think if you are listening via an app on a blackberry, or i phone, you may get some chop…
Back to the top

People post on here all the time about the HORRIBLE feed problems!
Back to the top

Rick said

I have never had any issues listening to baseball games live on www.fausports.com

However, think if you are listening via an app on a blackberry, or i phone, you may get some chop…

I can't get it on my blackberry. I listen from my home computer in fact I have 3 computers here and they all have the same issue. You can hear about 2 seconds at a time before it breaks up. It's very choppy and it seems like it's constantly buffering

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Some days I get good connections & then not so good.  I knew they where having difficulties at the beginning of the season when they made some equipment changes.  I've heard some have never had a problem…

I have a pretty quick connection & have had my issues as well.

:'(
Back to the top
Control functions: