Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Lockhart Stadium future site of a water park?

Add topic

A national water park company could get the go-ahead Tuesday for its plans to take over Fort Lauderdale stadium and neighboring Lockhart Stadium.

City commissioners plan to discuss the $110 million proposal by Schlitterbahn Development Group. Its plan was the only one of four reviewed by the Federal Aviation Administration that the agency said could be acceptable for the property next to the Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport. Full Story

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Lockhart Stadium future site of a water park?

Lockhart Stadium future site of a water park?

I head this a while ago but forgot when the vote was coming.

I hope it is Slichtterbahn.

South Florida REALLY could use a first class water park. (Sorry, Rapids aint first class)

I would EAISLY have an annual pass for this. Hell I take a yearly trip to Orlando just to hit mainly hit up Aquatica.  ;D

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

This is a really smart move. Hopefully they make the right choice.

Regarding the Rapids not being first class: I'm not really sure how you qualify first class for a water park but I do know over a span of a decade it went from four slides and a lazy river to being one of the largest water parks in Florida. Moreover, it carries nearly every new water slide design available internationally with the exception of the boomerang and the inverted loop slide.

Back to the top

sweet.  I miss the six flags days.
Back to the top

Lockhart Stadium & Water Park... makes home games more fun.

Why couldn't they do this years ago, then fans could withstand the dump of lockhart.
Oh well, maybe get some water slides at our new stadium as well.

Lauderdale keeps stadium open; waterpark company makes proposal

A national waterpark company has its eyes on Fort Lauderdale Stadium and neighboring Lockhart Stadium for a $110 million waterpark-hotel-retail sports destination, the first of its kind in Broward County.

Schlitterbahn Development Group, which has water parks in Texas and Kansas, offered the plan to the city Friday, but it hasn't been publicly aired or discussed.

It is the latest of three proposals for use of Fort Lauderdale Stadium, left vacant in December when the Baltimore Orioles moved their spring training base to Sarasota.

The other two proposals: Traffic Sports USA, owner of professional soccer team Miami FC, wants to transform the stadium to a soccer academy; Federal League wants to open a baseball academy.

Any use has to get approval from the Federal Aviation Administration, original owner of the land under both Lockhart and Fort Lauderdale stadiums. The land was given to the city in 1947, for aviation use, along with the land under adjacent Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport. The FAA insists the Fort Lauderdale Stadium site be used for aviation uses, or that fair market rent be paid to the FAA.

It was that FAA stance that dashed the Orioles' hopes to build a new stadium there, and has hampered the city's search for new suitors for the site.

Commissioners debated the stadium's fate Tuesday, agreeing to keep it open another seven months, though it's losing money. Traffic Sports will pay rent so the Miami FC can practice there; the team's games are played next door at Lockhart. Other groups, including a motorcycle driver training program and a Federal League semi-pro baseball team, also rent Fort Lauderdale Stadium.

"We're at a crossroads,'' said Mayor Jack Seiler. "We either close this facility and never reopen it,'' or keep it open and "keep our options open.''

Northeast Fort Lauderdale resident Chuck Malkus urged commissioners to view the stadium as a public park, not a revenue-maker. Don't close or demolish it, he pleaded.

"It's a gem that's been underutilized,'' he said.

Schlitterbahn's proposal will be sent to the FAA for review. The company's lawyer, Jim Blosser, said the company is willing to pay fair market rent. The proposal described a sports complex, including hotel, with activities "from the mild to the wild.'' The stadiums would remain, with enhancements, and still could be used for "intramural team sports and local recreational team sports use,'' according to the written proposal.

The company says its name is a "made-up German word'' loosely translated to "slippery road.''

A major waterpark was proposed last year at the city's Aquatic Complex at the beach, but Blosser, who also represents that proposer, said the project has since been deemed not feasible, and has been altered to propose massive wave pools.

Article Here
Back to the top
Control functions: