Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Domino #4 - Utah to Pac-10 (Official)

Pac-10 invites Utah to join conference

SALT LAKE CITY (AP)—The Pac-10 invited Utah to become the conference’s 12th member on Wednesday, two days after being turned down by Texas, Oklahoma and three other Big 12 schools.

School officials did not immediately say whether the invitation would be accepted, but it would be shocking if the Utes didn’t leave the Mountain West Conference for the Pac-10.

The school’s board of trustees will meet Thursday to discuss the school’s conference affiliation. A news conference was scheduled at the university’s football stadium following the board’s meeting.

Utah has been a member of the MWC since the league was born in 1999—and one of its most successful in football and basketball.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-pac-10-utah
Back to the top

Re: Domino #4 - Pac-10 Invites Utah

Domino #4 - Utah to Pac-10 (Official)

Which might lead to North Texas leaving the Sun Belt per Mr. Hutton.  Which would increase our strength of schedule. ;D
Back to the top

Re: Domino #4 - Pac-10 Invites Utah

I dont think North Texas will be down much longer.  I see them competing for the Belt title again very soon.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Re: Domino #4 - Utah to Pac-10 (Official)

Utah excited by Pac-10 acceptance

SALT LAKE CITY – Utah's road to the BCS just became a lot less complicated.

As the newest member of the Pac-10, the Utes will be playing for a guaranteed spot in one of college football's elite bowl games rather than hoping to sneak in with an at-large berth – as they've done twice before.

Utah officially joined the Pac-10 on Thursday, leaving the Mountain West Conference for the prestige and more lucrative opportunities of a league where things such as the Heisman Trophy, Final Four and national titles are distinct possibilities instead of long shots.

"Today is an absolutely great day to be a Ute," athletic director Chris Hill said Thursday before he was interrupted by applause during a news conference.

The Pac-10 invited Utah to join the league on Wednesday and university President Michael Young officially signed on in front of a crowd of elated boosters a day later.

After playing one final season in the Mountain West this fall, Utah will join the Pac-10 – or whatever the expanded league's name will become – in 2011. There is a guaranteed BCS spot for the Pac-10 winner, but that will mean getting through a schedule of one of college football's most prominent conferences.

Story Continued
Back to the top

Re: Domino #4 - Utah to Pac-10 (Official)

NTU won't compete till they get rid of the H.S. coach!
Back to the top
Control functions: