Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rusty Smith agrees to Multi-year deal with Titans

Add topic

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Tennessee Titans have agreed to terms on a multi-year contract with quarterback Rusty Smith.

The Titans selected Smith out of Florida Atlantic with their first of two sixth-round selections (176th overall) in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Full Story

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Rusty Smith agrees to Multi-year deal with Titans

Rusty Smith agrees to Multi-year deal with Titans

YES!

So that means hes on the roster of 53 for the season yes?

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I would assume so. No reason to sign him if they plan to cut him

Back to the top

Well, NFL contracts aren't guaranteed….as a 6th round pick, he probably got a small signing bonus which is guaranteed, but his contract can be terminated whenever they want. So this doesn't mean he has a roster spot yet, he'll still need to win one in training camp most likely.
Back to the top

Contracts aren't guaranteed in the NFL but I feel like with a late round selection, why bother signing him to a multi-year deal if you're only going to end up cutting him before the season starts?

Back to the top

Jab979 said

Contracts aren't guaranteed in the NFL but I feel like with a late round selection, why bother signing him to a multi-year deal if you're only going to end up cutting him before the season starts?

Because if he pans out and makes the team, they have him signed cheap for the next 4 years.  If not, they cut him and it doesn't cost them anything.  If they only give the player a 1 year deal and he makes the team it'll cost more to re-sign him because he'll be a free agent again and they'll have more competition for his services.

Plus, I guarantee that most of the money in Rusty's deal is in the last year. 
Back to the top

Rookie minimums:

Seasons 2008 2009 2010

0 $295,000 $310,000 $325,000

1 $370,000 $385,000 $400,000

2 $445,000 $460,000 $475,000

3 $520,000 $535,000 $550,000

4-6 $605,000 $620,000 $635,000

7-9 $730,000 $745,000 $760,000

10+ $830,000 $845,000 $860,000

Back to the top

Jab979 said

Every rookie will sign a multiyear deal.  Most teams try to get them to sign at least a 4yr deal, some try to push it to 5 or 6 yrs. 
Back to the top

The Titans reached a deal with Smith, the first FAU football player selected in the NFL Draft.

Palm Beach Post Wire Services

NASHVILLE — The Tennessee Titans have agreed to terms on a multiyear deal with former Florida Atlantic quarterback Rusty Smith.

According to a league source, the contract is for four years with a total base value of a little more than $1.9 million and a signing bonus of $114,000.

Smith, the first FAU player ever drafted, was selected in the sixth round at No. 176 overall.
Back to the top

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100623/COLUMNIST0202/6230361/2162/SPORTS01/David+Climer++Titans++rookie+quarterback+embraces+his+long+odds

"It is unlikely the Titans can keep all four quarterbacks, even if they were able to stash Smith on the practice squad. Roster spots are just too valuable.

Who is the odd man out? After an earlier practice, Simms acknowledged that a red flag went up when the Titans had drafted a quarterback in the sixth round.

"How could I not pay attention?" Simms said. "What they have planned for him, I don't know. I've got to do the best job I can."

Certainly Smith has a lot of catching up to do. But he has prototypical NFL size (6-foot-5, 230 pounds) as well as an eye-catching arm. His strike to Damian Williams on a deep sideline pass was one of the noteworthy moments in Tuesday's practice.

"There's no question he's got some upside," Johnson said. "He's definitely got the arm, and he works hard."
Back to the top
Control functions: