Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU’s Garrett Wittels Nominated for 2010 ESPYs Award

Photo fiusports.com

FIU All-American infielder Garrett Wittels has been selected as an ESPY nominee in the Best Male College Athlete category. Wittels finished the 2010 season with a 56-game hitting streak, second all-time in Division I baseball to Robin Ventura who hit safely in 58-straight games in 1987. The streak will continue at the start of the 2011 season.

“This is an unbelievable honor to be nominated for an ESPY,” said Wittels. “I never dreamed that I would be up for such a prestigious award. This wouldn’t be possible without help from my teammates, coaches and my family. Each and everyone one of them is a big part of this and I want to thank them for everything.”

Wittels was honored by Baseball America, Louisville Slugger and PING! Baseball as an All-American after hitting .412 with an FIU record 100 hits along with team-highs in doubles (21) and RBI (60). Wittels and his teammates captured the 2010 Sun Belt Tournament Championship for the first time since 1999.

­­­­­­The ESPYs are LIVE this year and this is the one night where athletes from all sports join together to celebrate the best moments of the year. The ESPYs take place on Wednesday, July 14 at 9 p.m. ET at the Nokia Theater in downtown Los Angeles and will be hosted by Saturday Night Lives’ Seth Meyers.

Source: FIU Media Relations

Best Make Athlete Nominees

Garrett Wittels, FIU Baseball

Finished the 2010 season with a 56-game hit streak, the second-longest in Division I history.
Had at least one hit in every game he’s appeared in during the season.

Blake Geoffrion, Wisconsin Hockey

Won the Hobey Baker award as top collegiate hockey player.
Led Badgers to the national championship game.

Mark Ingram, Alabama Football

Ran for 1,658 yards, averaging 6.1 yards per carry. Scored 20 touchdowns (17 rushing, three receiving) as the Tide won the national championship. Became first Alabama player to win the Heisman Trophy.

Evan Turner, Ohio State Basketball

Won the Wooden Award and Naismith Award. Averaged 20.4 PPG and 9.4 RPG in the 2009-10 season.

John Wall, Kentucky Basketball

Helped lead Kentucky to 35-win season as a freshman. Led the Wildcats in scoring (16.6 PPG), assists (6.5 APG) and steals (1.8 SPG) while setting the school single-season assist record.
Back to the top

Re: FIU’s Garrett Wittels Nominated for 2010 ESPYs Award

FIU’s Garrett Wittels Nominated for 2010 ESPYs Award

Yikes, tough competition especially in a sport very few care about. I hope he wins and I'll vote for him but it'll likely go to John Wall or Mark Ingram

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Congrats to that kid.  Isn't 56 games the same number of games Dimmagio went for?  A hit in EVERY game in a season is incredible.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Congrats to that kid.  Isn't 56 games the same number of games Dimmagio went for?  A hit in EVERY game in a season is incredible.

Yup. Dimmagio went 56 consecutive games. I think the closes anyone has come since has been in the 40's. I think that's a record that will never be broken

Back to the top

Don't think he should be in that category.  Best Male Athlete?  How many people have him being the best baseball player in the NCAA?
It was a good story, but he is not the best male athlete.
Back to the top

mh2os said

Don't think he should be in that category.  Best Male Athlete?  How many people have him being the best baseball player in the NCAA?
It was a good story, but he is not the best male athlete.

They should change the name of the category to best season performance by a male athlete. I think he belongs in that category. I still don't like the rule of having his hit streak continue next season. I wish him luck but same goes for the majors, in my opinion if someone hits in 40 consecutive games to end the season then starts out the next season with a hit in 17 straight, to me that's not breaking Dimaggio's record of 56

Back to the top

"They should change the name of the category to best season performance by a male athlete."

I would agree with that completely, Jared.
Back to the top
Control functions: