Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner Has Died . . .

Add topic

The Yankees won 11 pennants and seven World Series titles during his tenure. . . .

George Steinbrenner, owner of New York Yankees, has died in Tampa at age of 80 after heart attack - NY Daily News
Back to the top

Re: Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner Has Died . . .

Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner Has Died . . .

Not a Yankees fan but he was great for the game of baseball.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I was born and raised as a Yankees fan. I am still a Yankees fan and will always be. With that being said I know A LOT of people hate the Yankees but there's no denying George was the greatest owner in the history of sports and he was great for the game of baseball for everything he's done. RIP Boss, baseball will miss you

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I think the only team I can't stand more than the yankees is the jets (suck) but he was a great business man and baseball will miss him.  

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

The Boss was apparently VERY charitable from all the reports that are going around, and was great on Saturday Night Live.  Sorry for the Yankees loss.

With him being one of the most powerful baseball owners ever, does this lead to a hard salary cap being more likely?  Or will it still never happen?
Back to the top

Even as a yankees fan baseball DESPERATELY needs a hard cap. Doubt it will ever happen.

Problem is they have revenue sharing in baseball. So teams like the Royals, Indians, even the Marlins they get plenty of money from teams like Yankees and Red Sox but their owners choose not to out the money back into the team, rather than into their own pocket.

What made Steinbrenner exceptional was every dollar he got from selling tickets etc… He put right back into the team buy signing big free agents and turning this team into a winner.

Other orginizations choose to just take that money and claim they've got no money and they can never win

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I actually heard a basball broadcaster on an interview before the allstar game on the radio stating how disgusted he was with LeBron James and how the Miami Heat signed all the good free agents this year, and how that would never happen in baseball since they don't have a salary cap (which is the only reason he said the players are in Miami), and that he hopes baseball never has a salary cap to prevent stuff like that from happening in baseball.

I haven't heard something that stupid from someone supposedly educated (but obviously a baseball homer), as wasn't that sort of like the Yankees offseason a few years ago when it got Sabathia, Burnett, and Texeira?

Althought that statement didn't go beyond the WTF?? quality of the question I got asked yesterday, I believe that this man was far more educated as he was a former baseball GM.
Back to the top

I dont think baseball needs a cap.  The money is guaranteed so when teams spend the big bucks they can get hit hard just as easy as they can sign a great player.  See Carl Pavano.

Baseball is too deep a roster and too complex a sport to truly buy a team anyway.  The Marlins have won 2 world series in less than 20 years with a dinky payroll while the Cubs and Red Sox went decades and decades without one while spending tons and tons of money.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: