Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UTA Workout Notes 7-14-10...

With some of the offensive starters absent from Wednesday’s unofficial team workout, the defense took advantage and tallied four interceptions on the day.

Safety Antonio Rodriguez had the first interception of the 7-on-7’s thanks to a deflection by cornerback Demetrius Williamson, who had taken a high jump approach to the play.

You can’t count out Williamson in the battle for playing time at the cornerback position, as he is one of FAU’s biggest cornerbacks and is going into his third year with the team.

Although he did get roasted once by Grant Glover (see photo above)

Senior Tavious Polo undercut a Jeff Van Camp pass to Lester Jean, and took the ball in for a score (photo below).

For a second, it looked like Polo in his freshman season form, intercepting passes and making plays.

Linebacker Randell Johnson added to the list of interceptions against the offense and looked impressive all afternoon. The more I get to see of the athletic linebacker, the more I like him. I think he has the opportunity to do something for the defense this fall.

“We are doing good so far. We need to be a little more aggressive, but were attacking the ball at the point this season,” Johnson said of the defenses performance and the strategy to attack the ball.

When asked about his improvement this summer Johnson said, “I’m getting bigger, stronger and faster thanks to the strength coaches.”

More praise for Rod Payne's efforts.

Van Camp and the offense started to pick it up later in the day, and he found Jean wide open in the end zone for a score. Hopefully Jean and Van Camp can continue the connection going into the start of the season.

David Kooi worked with the third team offense for the first time this summer, and faired very well throwing a corner route to tight end
Nexon Dorvilus for a touchdown. Graham Wilbert worked with the second team offense and had an OK day. I still think Kooi is the better of the two, but that’s what fall camp is to decide.

With tight end’s Rob Housler and Darian Williams not a practice, redshirt-junior Alex Fick got some quality snaps and had a group of nice catches.

“I’ve never worked with the first team the whole practice, but today I got a chance,” Fick said after practice. “It’s just learning the little things about each route, knowing where your teammates are going to be and trying to get them open. Sometimes you get them open then and then I become open", Fick explained of his role in the offense and why he was getting the ball thrown his way.

Fick is a hard working walk-on, looking for an opportunity to play.  “Whatever gets me on the field, I want to help,” Fick remarked.

On the final drive of the practice, Van Camp was again intercepted, this time by senior linebacker Michael Lockley. Immediately after the play Van Camp approached wide receiver Byron Hankerson and cited he had run a wrong route. Better to get those mistakes out in July, not September.

The Owls will lift weights and run the remainder of the week and are set to return to the practice fields next Monday at 3:30.
Back to the top

Re: UTA Workout Notes 7-14-10...

UTA Workout Notes 7-14-10...

Lester Jean watches Tavious Polo field an interception…
Back to the top

Grant Glover readies to receive while Michael Lockley looks on…
Back to the top

Keith Reaser gets in front of DeAndre Robinson…
Back to the top
Control functions: