Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NBC "Today Show" Segment on HBOI Scientists Available Online

Add topic

To view NBC News correspondent Kerry Sanders' "Today Show" report on the oil spill-related work of Harbor Branch scientists in the Gulf of Mexico, go to TODAY Video Player - popup

Also

NBC, CNN and BBC Covering HBOI’s Efforts in the Gulf

NBC correspondent Kerry Sanders will be broadcasting live from the Harbor Branch research vessel Seward Johnson on the Today Show beginning at 7 a.m. today (Thursday, July 22) as well as on MSNBC throughout the day and on the NBC Nightly News beginning at 6:30 tonight. He will report on the work the Harbor Branch science team is doing in the eastern Gulf of Mexico.

CNN and the BBC also will be broadcasting live from the Seward Johnson with additional coverage throughout the day on Saturday, July 24.

The HBOI team is in the Gulf to gather baseline data against which to measure change if oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill reaches the area. The expedition will use a submersible, a remotely operated vehicle and other technology to assess and record conditions in the water column and on deep coral and live-bottom reefs.  Make sure to tune in to see Harbor Branch’s scientists and researchers in action in the Gulf!

Back to the top

Re: NBC "Today Show" Segment on HBOI Scientists Available Online

This is great!  :)

After I read this I watch 2 different segments broadcast live from the Gulf on the Seward Johnson on MSNBC. When they mentioned the institution they used the full name, "Harbor Branch at Florida Atlantic University". Kerry Sanders was preparing to make a dive in one of the submersibles and film it. I would assume that it will be televised sometime later today. Possibly on the NBC national news, I hope.

Its a shame these vessels had to be sold.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

NBC News correspondent Kerry Sanders will be broadcasting live this evening (Thursday, July 22) at 6:30 p.m. on the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams from the Seward Johnson ship in the Gulf of Mexico to report on his day spent on the submersibles with researchers and scientists from Harbor Branch.

Kerry also will be broadcasting live tomorrow morning (Friday, July 23) beginning at 7 a.m. on the Today Show from the port in St. Petersburg to talk more about the oil-spill related research that took place in the Gulf.
Back to the top

To have our president make a statement a few weeks earlier.

"We get attached to things which may be emblematic, but science does not stand still," said newly named FAU president Mary Jane Saunders. Saunders pointed out that safer, more cost effective ways of ocean exploration now exist that do not depend on aging technology.

And this week we are in the National News Coverage using our aging technology.
Maybe she shouldn't have made that statement too quickly or even refrained from using it.

I guess we have to suck up the attention while we can since were not going to have the submarine long. I just don't think that submarines are aging technology. The sea is one of the last unexplored worlds and yes technology has come along way in forms of Autonomous and Remote vehicles but they can only do so much, there is still a need for human interaction when exploring the deep. AUV's and ROV's may be cost effective but do you get to see the whole picture? And I have herd plenty of horror stories of tethers getting tangled and loosing expensive equipment. On the safety issue I would think that the policies and procedures in place for using subs would be pretty stringent due to human life being at stake. Yes an accident could happen but the redundancy in these sub systems should be adequate for safe journeys. This oil spill has shined light and gave a glimpse on the uses of our sub and what it does for research. I hope our Administrators that run this University take note and work forward to finding a way to replace this well used asset.
Back to the top

NBC "Today Show" Segment on HBOI Scientists Available Online

Well, not only are the subs going, the 204' Seward Johnson is going with them to a Brazilian company.

Back to the top

If its aging technology then why is a Brazilian oil company wanting to buy our dinosaurs? It doesn't make sense.
Back to the top

boozie132 said

If its aging technology then why is a Brazilian oil company wanting to buy our dinosaurs? It doesn't make sense.

I think the Seward Johnson and subs were procured by Harbor Branch to be leased out on research grants and excursions. I read somewhere the vessels were "losing money". What that means to me is there is no or little demand for their services (until now).  Probably due to the economy right now. The maintenance, insurance, etc on the vessels have no revenue to offset.

Back to the top

The Vessel and Sub were infrastructure to HBOI before FAU's takeover of the facility. The Seward Johnson participated in UNOLS to help with having more missions booked. I just think the statement made by MJ should have been more based on finance than saying our assets are aging. It makes us look like were second rate because were using "outdated technology". I hope she understands that Engineering Technology and Science go hand and hand. If she wants to grow as a heavy hitter in the science community then you also have to invest in your polytechnics also.

"Dr. Saunders, who began work as FAU's sixth president on June 7, said FAU will not become a polytechnic university but will focus on the sciences because that's where future jobs will be concentrated."

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.fau.edu/hboi/OceanTechnology/rvsj_specs2008.pdf
Welcome to UNOLS!
Steer FAU toward sciences: Three areas: Neuroscience, aging, clim | www.palmbeachpost.com
Back to the top

I watched the national evening news. Nice report from the Seward Johnson. Harbor Branch was mentioned but FAU wasn't. Most of the dialog was their findings and not much background. When viewers google Harbor Branch they'll see it is a part of FAU.

Back to the top

There will be a longer Dateline special that should run in early August. As I know more I'll keep everyone posted, but apparantly they ended up with a lot of footage so they put something longer together. Should be great press for us.
Back to the top
Control functions: