Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Ranking the Sun Belt's Football Coaches...

According to dnj.com:

3. Howard Schnellenberger, FAU

Even above Blakeney, the 76-year-old Schnellenberger has the best résumé in the Sun Belt. He was a Bear Bryant assistant for three Alabama national titles and won his own as head coach at Miami in 1983. He built the FAU program from scratch over the last 12 years, guiding the Owls from FCS to FBS and ultimately a 2007 Sun Belt co-championship and two bowl wins. At FAU, Schnellenberger has been as much of a CEO and fundraiser as a head coach. He is still a good coach and has hired numerous top-notch assistants at FAU, but he is no longer in his prime on the sidelines. Schnellenberger also has a combined 2-8 record versus Blakeney and Stockstill.

Full Listing
Back to the top

Re: Ranking the Sun Belt's Football Coaches...

Haha, Howard might be one of the top 10 coaches in the country....he is no question the best coach in the Sun Belt.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Just to follow up before I hear all the stuff about how great Troy is and Blakely….

Howard recruited Joe Namath at Alabama under Bear Bryant….unless you can match that story dont post anything.  Levi whatever his name is doesn't compare.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Ranking the Sun Belt's Football Coaches...

Blakeney's days as a consistent winner are numbered. 1) He will now have to share recruiting up there with S. Alabama, and 2) his "practice" of over-recruiting (30-40 recruits per year!) and the "grayshirting" (10-20 per year) those no yet good enough to play for Troy is about to end. He is one of the prime exaples of programs who abuse the recruiting process and try to use the JC's as their own personal developmental league. Of course, only  the top 4 or 5 are actually offered to come back to Troy. The NCAA will put an end to this very soon.
Back to the top
Control functions: