Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Should FAU drop Owls and become the Blue Wave?

Owls
Blue Wave
Both: Owls & Blue Wave

You must select between 1 and 40 options

As per Ted's blog: Flip Flop Football | Should FAU drop Owls and become the Blue Wave?)

" Thinking about the new stadium and the Between the Palms and the Beach Club décor, the old Blue Wave surfaced in my head. And it stuck there, like that tune you hear when you wake up that won’t go away the rest of the day. Should FAU consider changing its nickname? And if so, shouldn't it be the Blue Wave?"

I don't know exactly how many universities have changed their nicknames over the years, but I know UCF went from the Golden Knights to just the Knights, as party of their re-branding strategy for the opening of their new on-campus stadium.

Does anyone else think this is the time to change names?
Back to the top

Re: Should FAU drop Owls and become the Blue Wave?

This is in the football forum. The change would affect all FAU teams accross the board. All sports would take on Blue Wave, if changed.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

NCbluewave doesn't sound as cool.

;)
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

This is in the football forum. The change would affect all FAU teams accross the board. All sports would take on Blue Wave, if changed.

I understand that the name change would be across the board for all FAU athletic teams. I just posted it in the football forum because I believe that is where the most online traffic is located.
Back to the top

I will always believe they should incorporate both.  If I could have it my way I would sort of copy Alabama and make our name the Blue Wave but have the owl as our mascot.  For those who dont know, Alabama is the Crimson Tide and their mascot is an elephant.

There are other teams out there with two names as well…Auburn is the Tigers and War Eagles for example.  Michigan is the Wolverines and Big Blue.  I think FAU should use the name "Blue Wave" to market our location geographically and I also think it sounds cool.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I forgot to request that you add an option to the poll "Incorporate both the Owl and Blue Wave"

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Alabama can get away with using two mascots but we are trying to create an identity and changing our name will not help that!!!!!
Back to the top

walty12 said

For those who dont know, Alabama is the Crimson Tide and their mascot is an elephant.

Have neve understood that, and never will…what the heck does an elephant have to do with AL??
Back to the top

I understand the reasons behind it and it does make sense.

However I would hate to retard the progress the school has made on the atheltics side by changing it up.

Were just now on the tips of peoples toungues as the FAU Owls. If we went to Blue Wave I could see people wondering why Tulane was on the schedule instead of FAU like it was supposed to.

Owls was chosen, and owls it should remain.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Proud to be an OWL!
Back to the top
Control functions: