Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

St. Augustine Recommendations ?

We are headed to St. Augustine next week (staying in a condo on the beach).

Any cant-miss restaurants or things to do/places to see ?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for letting me put this on the football forum (at least for now).

You guys did a helluva good job on your rec's for my father's baseball trip to Boca. He is now a huge devotee to Cuban sandwiches !

Back to the top

Re: St. Augustine Recommendations ?

That's my home town. Plenty of things to do. Lots of good restaurants. Unfortunately I've been up here in Illinois for 10 years and haven't kept up with the restaurants. If you stay down town, you'll find plenty of good places to eat. Head over the Bridge of Lions towards the beaches and you'll find some good restaurants also.

One place I always go when I'm home is The Beachcomber. An ocean front beer and sandwich place literally right on the beach. It is on A street in St Augustine Beach. That's "A" street not "a street". The streets are in letter order on that part of the beach. Plenty of bikini clad girls walk up from the beach to eat there.

There are horse drawn carriages to tour the city. A stone fort built by the Spanish is right down town and has tours. There's the beaches. There is St George Street with shops and historical renovated buildings. The city overlooks Matanzas Bay. You can spend a whole day walking around down town. The light house is across the bay from down town. You can climb to the top. Then there is the Fountain of Youth. Nice historical site.

If you want to be the ultimate tourist, you can buy a package tour with one of the trams that will move you around the city and drop you off at different sites. They come by every 15 minutes to pickup people ready to go to the next. You'll see them running around all over town.

There are more places to visit and see than what I've listed. This will get you started.

Let me know how you liked St Augustine.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I've never been to St. Augustine but I know there is a supposed haunted light house there and it is the oldest city in the United States

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

KAjunRaider said

We are headed to St. Augustine next week (staying in a condo on the beach).

Any cant-miss restaurants or things to do/places to see ?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for letting me put this on the football forum (at least for now).

You guys did a helluva good job on your rec's for my father's baseball trip to Boca. He is now a huge devotee to Cuban sandwiches !

St. Augustine is a great place. One of the little treasures of Florida. If you are a history buff, it's even better. If you like Cuban sandwiches, then you should try Habana Village cafe in the historical section. Good food, nice location, decent prices. Of course you need to see the Castillo de San Marcos, the fort. Nice view, it's worth the ticket. I recommend taking a walking night ghost tour…They tell you some interesting history facts about the city. There's are also some really cool pubs off the main tourist street. I'll post more if I think of it.
Back to the top

Hey Kajun,
Lots of neat little places near the fort, its been a couple of years but St. Augustine has always been a can't miss place for a weekend getaway for us locals. One of the coolest things—– take the beach road north about 15-20 minutes and you will be right in the middle of a national seashore preserve. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

If you are looking for a special dinner when you're there, I'd HIGHLY recommend one of my favorite restaurants in the world, Opus 39. It's not cheap but it's an experience you'll never forget and the service is impeccable. It's a pre-fixe menu that changes regularly depending on whats in season and what the chef can get his hands on but the ride that they take you on is one you'll never forget if you have an open mind. They also have a very impressive cellar filled with mostly small unknown vineyards so take the sommeliers wine pairings for each course…sit back, drink 5 glasses of wine and go on a freaking awesome journey.

This is seriously one of those meals that you talk about for years, it's quite a place.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

sit back, drink 5 glasses of wine and go on a freaking awesome journey.

After five glasses of wine, probably won't matter where you go!  lol

On a side note:

No one has mentioned The Fountain of Youth??

Went there as a kid many moons ago…….

Back to the top

Rick said

Oh man. I should add that to my list too. Girlfriend and I are going to head up for a day trip, just park and walk around, so I also appreciate the suggestions. But she wants to go later in the year when it's not so damn hot.

Anybody know a good place to park downtown there?

As an aside, Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides will be about Jack Sparrow's journey toward the Fountain of Youth.
Back to the top

Rick said

TeamBeer said

sit back, drink 5 glasses of wine and go on a freaking awesome journey.

On a side note:

I mentioned it. Read my post.

Parking downtown is at a premium. The downtown is packed on the weekends. There are a few parking lots hidden around the downtown area. You'll just have to find them. There is one metered parking lot easy to get to. Right across the street from Scarlet Oharas and near the college.

For a nice lunch downtown, try the Columbian.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

St. Augustine Recommendations ?

illinoisowl said

I mentioned it. Read my post.

I did! Twice, not sure how i missed it - sorry :)
Back to the top
Control functions: