Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU rated the worst of the worst

Add topic

Worst combined NCAA football/basketball schools - CBSSports.com

Worst combined NCAA football/basketball schools

Among the BCS schools, there aren't many that are absolutely atrocious in both sports. Bad in one and average to good in the other or simply mediocre, but not awful.

Washington State is part of the former. They're very bad in football, going 18-42 over the past five seasons and 3-22 the last two years. But in basketball they're nothing better than average after reaching the tournament in 2007 and 2008. Prior to those breakout seasons, the Cougars had 10 straight losing seasons. They've been 17-16 and 16-15 the past two seasons.

Indiana is another team you can throw into the mix for BCS worst. The Hoosiers are 23-37 in football over last five years, but we'd be remiss if we didn't point out that the team was hit by tragedy in 2007 when coach Terry Hoeppner succumbed to complications from brain cancer. Recruiting violations under former coach Kelvin Sampson has rocked the basketball program. Tom Crean has been tasked with trying to dig out from the rubble, but it's not an easy process. The Hoosiers were 6-25 in 2008-09 and 10-21 last season.

Inconsistency has dogged the Michigan program. Lloyd Carr's final season as coach in 2007 was marred by a stunning loss to D-I FCS team Appalachian State. Rich Rodriguez took over and he's 8-16 in two season (3-9 in 2008, 5-7 last season). Though the Wolverines basketball team did reach the NCAA tournament in 2009, they were 10-22 during the 2007-08 season and 15-17 last year.

We could be here all day picking on non-BCS schools. Among the worst we came across …

Eastern Michigan: 12-47 in football over the past five years, 0-12 last year and 1-11 in 2006. The basketball team was actually pretty decent last year going 17-15. It was the first time they finished above .500 in 10 years.

FIU: The Golden Panthers are 14-45 in football over the past five years. They went 0-12 in 2006 and 1-11 in 2007. They haven't had a winning season in basketball since 1999-2000 and have averaged only 10 wins a season the past five seasons.

Tulane: The Green Wave are 15-44 in football over five years, 3-9 and 2-10 the past two seasons. The basketball team has also take a nosedive, falling to 8-22 last season.

Hawaii: At the start of the decade, the Warriors were actually a pretty decent hoops team with eight straight winnings season. But the last three years performance has dropped with finishes of 11-19, 13-17 and 10-20.  The football team enjoyed a resurgence under head coach Junes Jones. It's tough to say where the program is headed under Greg McMackin, who is 13-14 in his two seasons since taking over for Jones, who left for SMU.

I couldn't bring myself to add Army to the list. Yes, they've been bad (very bad) in both sports, but they also operate in a different manner than most other schools. I wasn't sure it was a fair comparison.

So who are some other schools who deserve to be on the worst list?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Re: FIU rated the worst of the worst

…but next year they think they will be awesome in everything and compete against the canes  ;D

The sleeping giant…is still in a coma.
Back to the top

I'll keep them in the cellar for foootball, but hoops is a different story…don't be surprised if they make some noise…
Back to the top

FIU rated the worst of the worst

There is no reason why they should not be ok in both, but until they show something, they have nothing.  They have to get better at some point, and one day they will beat us in football.  It has to happen at some point and some years.  They just have done absolutely nothing to this point, but talk about how great they are going to be.  I give their 200 fans props for hanging in this long.
Back to the top

Rick said

I'll keep them in the cellar for foootball, but hoops is a different story…don't be surprised if they make some noise…

SOMEONE offer Isaiah a job! Those recruits will turn tail faster than you can spell NLI, but if he stays, they will be strong in basketball. Hopefully he continues to prove that he's a terrible coach (a good recruiter from what we can tell) and they aren't able to get it together.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Rick said

SOMEONE offer Isaiah a job! Those recruits will turn tail faster than you can spell NLI, but if he stays, they will be strong in basketball. Hopefully he continues to prove that he's a terrible coach (a good recruiter from what we can tell) and they aren't able to get it together.

Watching Jarvis and Thomas battle for years to come would be fun though.  I hope both get paid what they deserve so we can watch the programs grow.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Rick said

His first step is officially out the door, he is now a "consultant" with the Knicks.  I would be shocked if he lasts one more year.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: