Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Thomas Reportedly Meeting With New York Knicks...

"FIU basketball coach Isiah Thomas reportedly has had meetings with New York Knicks officials in the past few days about possible job openings with the organization."

Full Story
Back to the top

Re: Thomas Reportedly Meeting With New York Knicks...

Fingers crossed on this move…with his reputation he'll be able to grab a few great players (he's already got some signed) and it only takes two blue chippers to run the Belt…I can't believe someone else wants to give him a job higher up, but more power to him! Take it take it take it!!!
Back to the top

"Luckily for Knicks fans, good news has been confirmed. The NY Post reports that a source close to the Knicks confirmed "there is no job for him there now." The door isn't completely closed, but with Walsh repeatedly confirming he will not be hiring a GM this summer and Allan Houston a leading candidate, it looks like Knick fans don't have to worry about the return of the franchise destroyer."

Damn
Back to the top

as a long time knicks fan and friends who are long time season ticket holders, he was only coming back to the knicks if lebron was coming to the knicks. it was a last ditch effort.

i'm really surprised it took this long for everyone to find out, its kind of old news in ny.

it was just a pitch for lebron because lebron apparently likes the guy.

he's a complete mess but he's got a amazing eye for talent.
Back to the top

Exit39 said

he's a complete mess but he's got a amazing eye for talent.

Which is exactly why I want him out of FIU
Back to the top

The guy spells nothing but trouble for FAU with a long haul…especially if half of his players come in.

Of course staying eligible for more than a year is suspect for some of them.

The good thing is that's all he will need to move on to greener pastures elsewhere….whether is be professionally or at another NCAA program (likely).
Back to the top

AAAHAHHHHH!!! my knicks.
Knicks name Isiah consultant; NBA reviewing deal

Knicks name Isiah consultant
| More  Print
1:07 PM, August 6, 2010 ? By MARC BERMAN

The Knicks have named Isiah Thomas a part-time consultant to the team but he will keep his job as head coach of Florida International.

Thomas was cited during the Amar'e Stoudemire press conference for helping in the recruitment of the Suns forward. Thomas also was dispatched on the eve of LeBron James' decision to meet with one of the members of his entourage whom he knew.

“I’m excited to once again be a part of the New York Knicks organization. I was honored to have been asked to help during the recent free-agent recruiting process, and believe that this new role takes full advantage of my skill set as an evaluator of basketball talent," Thomas said in a statement released by the team. "

While I will of course continue in my role as FIU’s coach, I look forward to working with Donnie (Walsh), Coach (Mike) D’Antoni and all of the Knicks staff to help bring a championship back to New York.”

The team's statement says Thomas "will assist the team’s senior management in various capacities, including player recruitment."

Since he left the organization as a consultant to team president Walsh to head the FIU program two years ago, Thomas has remained close with owner James Dolan and kept his house in Westchester. Thomas' involvement with recruiting Stoudemire has led to speculation he could return to the Knicks as GM, a job which is vacant.

“Isiah Thomas brings unique experience as a Hall of Fame player, coach, executive and owner, and we believe having him as part of our organization will be extremely beneficial to the team’s success," Dolan and Walsh said in a joint statement.

"Isiah was helpful to the team’s senior management during our most recent recruitment efforts, including assisting with the acquisition of Amar’e Stoudemire. He will provide valuable insight and analysis of young prospects from around the world. Isiah will remain head coach of FIU, and that will continue to be his primary responsibility.”

Thomas has been on a campaign to try to rebuild his image for a return to the NBA, but Dolan risks the backlash of the fans if he gives Thomas a prominent role. Dolan, however, clearly wants to help Thomas.

The Post reported two weeks ago Thomas was at 2 Penn Plaza meeting with Dolan and others. The Knicks denied at the time it was a job interview, but at the very least, Dolan is bent on helping Thomas restore an image that was mired by the sexual harassment lawsuit defeat against former employee Anucha-Browne Sanders.

Thomas was 56-108 coaching the Knicks in the 2006-07 amd 2007-08 seasons, and was president of basketball operations from 2003-08.

Walsh maintains he is not hiring a general manager any time soon, with Allan Houston and recently fired Mark Warkentien of the Nuggets potential candidates.
Back to the top

Dang!  Only part time!

Sorry Exit, but we need him to go more than you ;D
Back to the top

How is this possibly allowed under NCAA rules?  Seems like a big conflict of interest to have a coach employed by an NBA team recruiting high school kids.  Not to mention the fact that he is telling kids to come to Miami, but trying to steer NBA players to New York.  The whole situation seems shady to me.  I've said it before and I'm still convinced….This isn't going to end well for FIU. 
Back to the top

Thomas Reportedly Meeting With New York Knicks...

My post in the Sun-Sentinel site;

How in the hell does he think he can coach at FIU AND be a consultant to a pro team???

First, there is an obvious conflict of interest, getting paid by both pro and amatuer teams in the same sport. And dealing with and having access to pro players and their agents or "representatives".

Second, does he not think he should be using 100% of his time to help build his program at FIU and not being distracted or whatever term you might want to use, spending time  on "projects" for the Knicks.

Or is this how he expects to get an edge with recruits who will know of his current contacts within the current pro basketball ranks and maybe feel his edge will give them an "edge" if they play for him at FIU.

Either way, this is as always Isiah looking out for Isiah. definately not putting his kids first!
Back to the top
Control functions: