Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Isiah Thomas rejoins Knicks; still at FIU

Add topic

Isiah Thomas to serve as New York Knicks consultant - ESPN New York

Isiah Thomas wants to get back in the NBA as a general manager, but until then, he'll be a consultant to the New York Knicks while still coaching Florida International.
Back to the top

Re: Isiah Thomas rejoins Knicks; still at FIU

How can he do both???????????

Even if allowed  by the NCAA  (or FIU for that matter!), should he not be putting 100% of his time and efforts in his program and kids down there.

Personally, if I were FIU, his ass would be out the door NOW!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

How can he do both???????????

Even if allowed  by the NCAA  (or FIU for that matter!), should he not be putting 100% of his time and efforts in his program and kids down there.

Personally, if I were FIU, his ass would be out the door NOW!

Isn't this a conflict of interest? He's helping out with recruiting for the Knicks yet he's still the coach of FIU? uhhh yeah that's not shady

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Isiah Thomas rejoins Knicks; still at FIU

Great blog about this whole thing from ESPN.com
Florida International coach Isiah Thomas was hired Friday as a part-time consultant for the New York Knicks.

His job description, in part, includes assisting the “team’s senior management in various capacities, including player recruitment.’’

And the folks in Indianapolis wonder why people don’t take them seriously.

In the New York phone book-thick NCAA rulebook, there are rules telling a coach he can’t give a kid a hamburger or, heaven forbid, call a recruit too many times.

Those are considered competitive advantages.

So it’s not a competitive advantage for Thomas to say to a potential recruit, 'Hey, I know you’re trying to get to the NBA. Guess what? I work for an NBA team and better yet, the Knicks may end up in the lottery. Why not sign with me at Florida International and see what happens?'

Story Continued

Back to the top

Jab979 said

Great blog about this whole thing from ESPN.com
Florida International coach Isiah Thomas was hired Friday as a part-time consultant for the New York Knicks.

His job description, in part, includes assisting the “team’s senior management in various capacities, including player recruitment.’’

And the folks in Indianapolis wonder why people don’t take them seriously.

In the New York phone book-thick NCAA rulebook, there are rules telling a coach he can’t give a kid a hamburger or, heaven forbid, call a recruit too many times.

Those are considered competitive advantages.

So it’s not a competitive advantage for Thomas to say to a potential recruit, 'Hey, I know you’re trying to get to the NBA. Guess what? I work for an NBA team and better yet, the Knicks may end up in the lottery. Why not sign with me at Florida International and see what happens?'

Story Continued

My sentiments exactly, but I still cant imagine a lot of one n dones going to FIU just because Isiah works for the Knicks doubt he has much control over who they draft
Back to the top

His recruiting has been pretty good at FIU without his new job description. Now, if allowed to operate in this manner, watch out, you may see the next Memphis!

But I have a feeling the NBA won't approve of this position. Another reason the NCAA sucks!!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

His recruiting has been pretty good at FIU without his new job description. Now, if allowed to operate in this manner, watch out, you may see the next Memphis!

But I have a feeling the NBA won't approve of this position. Another reason the NCAA sucks!!!!

I am not too concerned.  He clearly does not want to be at FIU.  I hope he stays because this is another "Don Strock-type" move that has entertainment value.

Do you honestly think major players are going to flock to FIU under the guise they have a shot at being on the Knicks?  A major player would have to have some unknown issues or just be really stupid.

The only thing that matters is the product he puts on the court and the result of that product.  I will await the masterpiece in the making… ;)

Isiah only cares about one thing.  It's not the kids, it's not FIU, and it's not the Knicks.
Back to the top

fauowl said

GeorgiaOwl said

I am not too concerned.  He clearly does not want to be at FIU.  I hope he stays because this is another "Don Strock-type" move that has entertainment value.

Do you honestly think major players are going to flock to FIU under the guise they have a shot at being on the Knicks?  A major player would have to have some unknown issues or just be really stupid.

The only thing that matters is the product he puts on the court and the result of that product.  I will await the masterpiece in the making… ;)

Isiah only cares about one thing.  It's not the kids, it's not FIU, and it's not the Knicks.

If he stays this year, and his recruits show and start, I'd be concerned. Last year he was working with what FIU had on the bench, this year, he's got some kids coming in that could potentially dominate the belt. Lets be serious, we don't play in the big east. They have a top 50 recruit coming in to play this fall and it only takes two studs to make a great team in the Belt.

If you are a "one and done" player, then I say going to play for an NBA legend is a positive thing, even if he's not at Kentucky.
Back to the top

Looks like he isn't going to take the Knicks job afterall….

Isiah Thomas is not taking the consultant's job with the New York Knicks after all.

"After speaking with Commissioner [David] Stern and Knicks executives, it has become apparent that my new agreement violates certain NBA bylaws," Thomas said in a statement. "Because of this, I have decided to rescind my contract with the team. I have nothing but the utmost respect for [owner] Jim Dolan, [general manager] Donnie Walsh, [coach] Mike D'Antoni and the entire Knicks organization, and I want to thank them for affording me this opportunity."

Full Story

Back to the top

Well…

That solidifies his place at FIU all the more - for now.
Back to the top
Control functions: