Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New Domino Fallen BYU Independent in Football- Gets WACky for everything else...

Utah Local News - Salt Lake City News, Sports, Archive - The Salt Lake Tribune

Brigham Young University will leave the Mountain West Conference, go independent in football and rejoin the Western Athletic Conference in all non-football sports beginning in the fall of 2011, The Salt Lake Tribune confirmed Wednesday morning.

According to a source in the WAC office, BYU will seek final approval for the moves from its owner, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, either today or Thursday. Pending approval, a press conference is planned for early next week. But because of media reports that broke late Tuesday night, that timetable may change.

That should shut the door on UNT to the WAC, but COULD open up UNT to the MWC.

Just when we thought confrence allignment was done.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: New Domino Fallen BYU Independent in Football- Gets WACky for everything else...

Fascinating. Don't rule out Texas-El Paso, or a New Mexico university for the Mountain West….
Back to the top

Re: New Domino Fallen BYU Independent in Football- Gets WACky for everything else...

MWC counter punchs…

Confirmed by MWC web site.

Aug. 18, 2010

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Mountain West Conference has extended an offer of membership to California State University, Fresno and the University of Nevada, Reno.

MWC Commissioner Craig Thompson is currently traveling and unavailable for comment.

Mountain West Conference

This is getting nuts!

Back to the top

Looks like Fresno and Nevada are heading to the MWC.  Not sure what happens to the WAC now…how can they possibly survive?  I wonder if that will leave La. Tech begging for a SBC invite??
Back to the top

Bring back the SWC !  ;D

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

Fresno and Nevada have officially accepted MWC invites.

The WAC is no on life support for FBS status having only 6 FBS football team members.

This is very similar to the situatin that the Sun Belt was in a few years ago that led to FAU and FIU being asked to accelerate there move up to FBS status.

Lots could happen today.

Back to the top

New Domino Fallen BYU Independent in Football- Gets WACky for everything else...

owlfamily said

Fresno and Nevada have officially accepted MWC invites.

The WAC is no on life support for FBS status having only 6 FBS football team members.

This is very similar to the situatin that the Sun Belt was in a few years ago that led to FAU and FIU being asked to accelerate there move up to FBS status.

Lots could happen today.

Ted was saying on his blog today that the WAC commissioner said they're not dead yet and will be looking to add at least 2 more members to make it an 8 team conference. It could be UNT which geographically would make sense for them and maybe a C-USA team.. Rice? SMU? Houston?

If UNT leaves we would have to find a replacement for them. I know a lot of people are saying La Tech but I wonder if the belt would maybe go another direction and ask a good I-AA sorry FCS lol program to move up quickly

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: