Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Breakout Star?

Breakout Star?

Unfortunately, I haven't really been following the Owls 2010 preseason. Just curious to see everyone's thoughts as to who has been impressive so far. This time last year, we were just discovering Alfred Morris. So do we have any breakout stars on deck, heading into our season opener next week?
Back to the top

Re: Breakout Star?

Here's what I got from camp:

Offense – WR DeAndre Richardson. He could start over Holley, if not at UAB, then shortly thereafter. Has a knack for getting open. Has had some drops, but could really emerge as a go-to guy.

TE Darian Williams – with Rob Housler in a "funk," the burden falls to Williams, a junior who said he learned a lot from Jason Harmon and Jamari Grant.

Defense – DT Jarvis Givens is not new, but the junior has had a great camp and was credited for 3 sacks in the FanFest scrimmage.

LB Randell Johnson – this is a redshirt freshman who I said to watch in the spring, and he didn't disappoint. He is hurt now with an ankle sprain, but he was pressing for a starting job and I expect to see him on the field a lot.

/ ted
Back to the top

Ted obviously has the inside track on these guys, he sees them every day so I'll defer to him. One person who's name has come up a few times this preseason has been Alex Fick. I'd always kinda felt bad for the guy and never thought he'd get time on our team, being a "conversion" but I was surpised to read he was fairly consistent in scrimmages. I don't know if we're getting a breakout star in him but if Housler is a fading star, he is an excellent backfill.

Corey Henry is another one to keep an eye on I think…I hope those older guys can get in the backfield this year but it seems like Henry is giving them a good run.

Ted: you traveling to B-Ham next week?
Back to the top

Speaking of breakout stars. Mike Hugenen,Rival. com college football editor on August 17, 2010 named, Lester Jean the breakout offensive star of the sunbelt for the 2010 season. He also named MICHAEL Lockley, as the breakout deffensive star of the 2010 season. We  know these names, very well, they both had oustanding camps, spring and fall. Has two players on fau's teem been named as the breakout players in the sunbelt before? We hope these players live up to the hype.  8) Just mention that,because we were talking about breakout player's
Back to the top

Lester Jean and Darien Williams. With the line being thin and undersized, running will be tough and I feel the oppsoing D's will "load the box" to take away Morris. This will give single coverage to Jean; one move a lead him downfield, we won't need a lot of time for that and then no time for safety to help either. That or quick passes and dumps to the TE, backs will have to help block unfortunately.
Back to the top

I agree with the blocking backfield…Alfred and X are going to spend a lot of time taking guys out but the good news is that X is a MONSTER and will do just fine back there shutting the rush down.

Jean has had the potential to be a stud since he arrived. NO Bowl 2007 he was the leading wideout on the team, the guy played great, he's just had some strong guys in front of him.
Back to the top

The sleepers may not be "stars", but could contribute in a very positive way…

Offensive break-out star: DeAndre Richardson

Offensive sleeper(s): Marcus Cunningham, Willie Floyd (AP yardage)

Defensive break-out star: Malik Eugene

Defensive sleeper(s): Keith Reaser, Martin Wright
Back to the top

From what I have seen in practice…

Offensively, like Ted and others have said, I think Darian Williams will have a big year. Another tight end who has looked good in practice, has been redshirt freshman Nexon Dorvilus. He’s clearly behind Housler and Williams on the depth chart, but Dorvilus has gotten reps in team drills with the first team. Dorvilus could have a year like Williams did last season (214 yards, 2 Tds) as the team’s third tight end.

Defensively, maybe Tarvoris Hill? He hasn’t gotten too much credit for what he has done over his career, but he enters the season as one of the Owls most experienced defenders playing in 35 games. Having impressed at summer workouts and fall camp, Hill appears ready for his senior season. Hill should benefit instanty from an improving pass rush and could be primed for a lot of turnovers this season.
Back to the top

All starter's and top backup's on Van V's Killer D. As stated by,Polo and Lockley last Winter."We will go bowling again in twenty ten." 8) 8) 8)
Back to the top

do Ted and I agree with each other?

I've been a big Givens fan since he signed. Would love to see him and Cyrille develop a legit pass rush. A little Thunder and Lighting action!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: