Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BYU Going Independent in Football

Add topic

Brigham Young University will leave the Mountain West Conference for the 2011-12 season, go independent in football and join the West Coast Conference in all other sports, notably men's basketball.

The WCC confirmed the addition of BYU effective June 30, 2011, on Tuesday but said neither it nor BYU would comment until a press conference scheduled for Wednesday.

BYU had originally agreed to go to the Western Athletic Conference in all sports and go independent in football before the MWC squelched the move by inviting WAC members Fresno State and Nevada two weeks ago.

BYU had until Wednesday to notify the MWC if it was going to leave for the 2011-12 season.

The WCC held a conference call Monday with all eight presidents to approve the move. WCC presidents wanted only private institutions in the league and weren't interested in any other WAC member. The WCC wasn't limiting its search to only faith-based schools, but BYU does fit the profile since the other eight members are all faith-based universities and colleges. When WCC commissioner Jamie Zaninovich first got to the WCC in April 2008 he had looked into adding Big West members Pacific (private) and UC Santa Barbara but the moves were rejected, notably for adding a public school.

Full Story

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: BYU Going Independent in Football

Look for the Mtn. West to act by adding Houston and SMU for their media markets and to hold a conference championship game) thereby opening two spots in CUSA who will then add (IMHO) N. Texas (to replace losing two Texas schools and most importantly, the Dallas media market) and FAU (to add the S. FL. media market and give UCF a local partner! Some say La. Tech from the WAC but honestly, do you want the media markets I have listed or La. Tech (Ruston, LA - nearest larger town is Monroe - need I say more???).
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Look for the Mtn. West to act by… opening two spots in CUSA who will then add… FAU (to add the S. FL. media market and give UCF a local partner!)

I think this is a reasonable scenario but I'm wondering why they'd want to take us over FIU. Despite their whole 'never having as winning season' issue, they have >40k students, an OCS, a better academic reputation and the Miami market… anyway, let's hope you're right.
Back to the top

BYU Going Independent in Football

owlcountry said

GeorgiaOwl said

Look for the Mtn. West to act by… opening two spots in CUSA who will then add… FAU (to add the S. FL. media market and give UCF a local partner!)

I think this is a reasonable scenario but I'm wondering why they'd want to take us over FIU. Despite their whole 'never having as winning season' issue, they have >40k students, an OCS, a better academic reputation and the Miami market… anyway, let's hope you're right.

by the time the move would be made we'd have an OCS, nicer football facilities and plans in place to update basketball and baseball stadiums. They have the Miami market but they also share that with UM, we have the entire West Palm Beach market with no competition from any other college

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

owlcountry said

GeorgiaOwl said

A smart conference would take all 3 of us.  UCF, FIU and FAU would be a smart move for the Big East.
by the time the move would be made we'd have an OCS, nicer football facilities and plans in place to update basketball and baseball stadiums. They have the Miami market but they also share that with UM, we have the entire West Palm Beach market with no competition from any other college

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

And why would they not take Troy or Middle Tenn.
Back to the top

I could see MTSU.

They are in a pretty good market and area. The problem they have is OVER saturation of sports IMHO. Lots of competition for thier program. I feel this is also true for FIU

MTSU Competition

Titans
Preadators
Vandy
UT
MTSU

FIU Competion

Dolphins
Heat
Panthers
'Canes

Troy is a VERY good program, its just not in a major city. CUSA has a history of liking Large Urban based schools in Major TV markets. I dont see Troy having that allure in any form.

I dont know if FAU would get taken or not, and frankly I would rather stay in the 'Belt with teams we have a rivalry with then move to another non-AQ.

Just my opinion that the 'Belt is getting stronger every year and we have been a part of that.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I agree that the Sun Belt is improving, but the other Conferences have more money and more exposure.  This will only help us if we can become a part of that, in this dog eat dog world of college football.  Besides we will create new rivals where ever we go.  We already kind of got one with UAB and I think that we can all agree that UCF SUCKS and wouldn't mine kickin there butts every year!!
Back to the top

And for attendance at home games, I would rather see E. Carolina , UCF and S. Miss. any day than ULM, L-L and Arky St. I think you are talking a jump of 10K per home minimum!

All of the conference expansion moves really hinge on media contracts and Troy offers zip! The Belt only has three schools with decent to major media markets; FAU, FIU, MTSU (Nashville) and N. Texas (Dallas). We offer the best with the least sports competition.
Back to the top

I agree.  I heard that UCF doesn't want to play us because there is too much of a risk if they loose to us. I would love to see FAU beat UCF in the New Orleans Bowl.

Also, we would probably have some rivalry with Memphis since we beat them in New Orleans.
Back to the top
Control functions: