Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

CBS Sports - What a Joke

CBS Sports is either stupid, dumb, ignorant or all the above.
According to NCAA College Football Rankings - CBSSports.com

CBS Sports ranked FAU #107 to start the season. FAU wins first game, Owls are now ranked #106.

CBS Sports ranked Ark. State # 100 to start the season. Ark. State loses first game, Red Wolves are now ranked #99
CBS Sports ranked ULL # 103 to start the season. ULL loses first game, Rajan Cajans are now ranked #102
CBS Sports ranked N. Texas # 104 to start the season. N. Texas loses first game, Mean Green are now ranked #103
CBS Sports ranked FIU #105 to start the season. FIU has yet to play first game, Golden Panthers are now ranked #104

"The CBSSports.com 120 rankings take into account the CBSSports.com strength of schedule ranking and votes from our staff of writers, editors and producers. All of these elements combine to give you the most authoritative, definitive ranking of all 120 Div. FBS teams in the nation"

I realize the BCS ranking system is flawed, but how can an impartial poll put a winning team behind losing teams within their own conference? Granted we don't have a strong schedule this season, and UAB isn't a very good team, but again, how does a 1-0 team rank worse than 0-1 teams?

Back to the top

Re: CBS Sports - What a Joke

The only poll that matters is the one at the end of the season. As the senior leaders state we will go bowling again in twenty ten". 8)
Back to the top

CBS Sports - What a Joke

Please, let's not turn into fans like those of FIU where we criticize every article that shows us in a bad light and applaud every article that says something positive…believe me, it is all equally garbage.

To say CBS Sports is stupid because they don't rank us high is ridiculous.  We beat UAB so far, that's it.  Good for us, but does not mean anything in college football.  How about we go out and beat someone and gain the respect of others instead of expecting it for no reason.
Back to the top

Part of the problem….we play in the SBC which gets little respect.  Troy has done its part of earning some respect and we need to follow suite.  Troy did it by beating and/or scaring the crap out of BCS team with near upset bids.

We need to start playing better & be more consistent…period.  We have a hard time doing that within are own conference.

The SBC overall is improving, slowly but the overall talent level is getting better and the conference will get better….it is only in it's tenth year as a football conference (still a baby compared to other conferences that have well establish traditions, sound familiar).

We will get there. 
Back to the top

I'm not saying that just because FAU beat UAB, we should be ranked with the top 50 or even top 100. And I'm not even saying that we should move up more than one spot from our previous ranking.

My issue is how does a team's rank improve after a huge loss?  Ark. State, ULL, and N. Texas all had huge losses, yet they all improved in the rankings. And based on CBS's logic, shouldn't W. Kentucky improve after their loss to Nebraska? Why did they stay stagnant at #120?

Perhaps my choice of words (stupid, dumb, ignorant) were inappropriate, but the fact remains, that CBS's system is flawed.
Back to the top
Control functions: