Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaches Gave Up On You, Players - I Am Sorry

The last FAU series of the game at Detroit was one of the most disgraceful displays of coaching I've EVER seen in college football. And I'm not even talking about the poor play that kept this from being a winnable game.

Howard Schnellenberger - as much as I like and respect him - just embarrassed his Owls more than even the offense did with its 11 or 12 drive-killing penalties, or the special teams' lack of tackling and blocking.

Not to go for that touchdown (which should not have been necessary because Lester Jean was in-bounds and scored initially, and FAU failed to challenge the play!) was unbelievable.

To replace the starting QB on what would become the most critical drive of the game (to give the second or third string QB experience?!) showed incredibly bad judgment.

But to show such little regard for your team and players, that you would kick a meaningless FG rather than go for a TD and 2-point conversion, kick it offsides and get the ball back to do it again, shows lack of pride. The coach and/or his staff should seriously consider resigning. Today.

The coach used to say these were his "advanced training" games, but stopped talking about that last year or the year before. He has apparently changed his mind.

He gave up. He mailed it in. He insulted and disrespected the men who busted their asses since last year but not trying to win when winning was very possible. Ask West Virginia about TDs and 2-point conversions late; ask Jax State about not giving up! They showed pride and it paid off.

I am so disappointed in Coach Schnellenberger - even more so than I was at Florida when he pulled Rusty in the early third quarter when the game was still in hand.

The coach traded a tiny bit of experience for his second or third string QB for the pride of his team.

Your coaching staff let you down, Fighting Owls! They took the fight away from you. They very well may have demoralized you for the rest of the season and beyond. The coach and coaches must be held accountable.

The sick feeling I have is too difficult to describe.
Back to the top

Re: Coaches Gave Up On You, Players - I Am Sorry

I couldn't agree with Owlshooter more. Jean was said to be throwing his helmet down is disgust on the sidelines, a feeling which must have been shared with not only the stunned players but Owl fans watching at home.
Back to the top

I completely agree that our coaches gave up on our players!  It's time for us to take our "little boy" pants off and try on some "big boy" pants!  We need to play to WIN!  This program is in it's 10th year now–time to grow up.   Sorry, you can tell I have kids!!!

I guess I am saying that we have to hold everyone to a higher standard–even HS!  Coaches, time to do a self evaluation!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

There was an asterisk in the contract stating we needed to loose the game in order to receive the revenue from ticket sales. Did we bet our money against us to raise even more funds for the stadium?? This was worse than watching the dolphins going 1-15.
Back to the top

I have tried to figure out what the angle was taking the field goal and I can't come up with any scenarios that it would make any sense.  It makes no sense why we wouldn't take the shot, what was the downside to going for the TD???

I really want to believe this coaching staff knows what they are doing and they know more about college football than me but that was inexcusable, there was absolutely no reason not to go for the TD, hopefully we make it, go for the 2 pt conversion and an on side kick.

Can someone give me a scenario where that made any sense ??? ????

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Coaches Gave Up On You, Players - I Am Sorry

I can't agree more with Owl country, this game was still on the line. Very dissappointed Owl fan.
Back to the top

I would hope on the plane ride home Coach S gives our team an eliquent speech on how proud he is of our team and a " Tebow - llike" apology for letting them down.      
Back to the top

OwlShooter said

To replace the starting QB on what would become the most critical drive of the game (to give the second or third string QB experience?!) showed incredibly bad judgment.

dusky256fc said

I have tried to figure out what the angle was taking the field goal and I can't come up with any scenarios that it would make any sense.  It makes no sense why we wouldn't take the shot, what was the downside to going for the TD???

Can someone give me a scenario where that made any sense ??? ????

We currently have a minuscule amount of game time clocked collectively by Wilbert & Kooi - let alone in critical situations - and will rely on them both next year.

As for this year, what if JVC has an injury??  Then what??  Either would be thrown into the fire, and we could bitch about having an incapable back-up and why they didn't get any time to prepare them?

Coach chose to plan for the future in a situation where he felt we could not win (down 30-14 with 4 minutes to play) and, even if we did, must have felt it was more important to address the back-up experience problem.

BUT, agree with you both in that if he really wanted to give them a chance to grow/produce, why not go for it on the fourth and goal situation instead of pulling the plug with a FG…What better way to test a QB than that?

Obviously he had no confidence in a passing play, which it would have had to be given our inability to move it consistently on the ground and needing six yards, so…….

Took the three points.

On a side note:

The special teams could have been tested as well with an on-sides kick after the FG, but that did not happen either.

Just my two cents…….

Back to the top

Putting Wilbert in isnt the issue for me.

Not having him go for the TD is the bad call.

Nothing to lose by having him run the 2 minute drill.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Saboteur.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: