Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Palm Beach Post's FAU Coverage = FAIL!

I noticed this Sunday but forgot to mention it. But the issue must be addressed.

It was bad enough when the Post and Sun-Sentinel (mostly the Post) did their best to ignore FAU sports. The Sun-Sentinel (at least Ted Hutton) has been much more astute at covering FAU in recent years, but the printed S-S still doesn't do enough.

Now, with the competing newspapers selling out and simply becoming carbon copies of themselves, FAU is getting even more short thrift!

Case in point: Sunday's post sports section offered just one FAU story, and that was on page 9 following numerous pages of Miami, Florida, Florida State and even out-of-state game stories. Bad, huh? But even worse, the story was written by Sun-Sentinel writer Hutton!

The Palm Beach Post - arguably the metro area's largest, best read and most successful newspaper - did not spend one ounce of effort to cover an important out-of-conference football game - with lots of interesting angles, especially afterward - by the metro area's only major college division (any division) football program. Nothing. Nada!

The Post just picked up the Sun-Sentinel's coverage.

It was a poor financial and journalistic decision. And slap to FAU's collective face.

It's a disgrace. Shame on the Post, really. It's not like this was some Tuesday night baseball game at South Alabama or something.

I am going to make my feelings about this unbalanced, chintzy coverage to both the sports and main editors, as well as the publisher. I'll post a list of contacts soon so, hopefully, any of you can do the same.

I am also not going to renew my Post subscription, and I will let the sales rep know why (as if that will make any difference). But maybe if we all did that - and all make a conscious effort to avoid Post advertisers, or even tell Post advertisers that and why we no longer read or support that paper - we might make a dent here.

Enough is enough.

Your thoughts?
Back to the top

I noticed this Sunday but forgot to mention it. But the issue must be addressed.

It was bad enough when the Post and Sun-Sentinel (mostly the Post) did their best to ignore FAU sports. The Sun-Sentinel (at least Ted Hutton) has been much more astute at covering FAU in recent years, but the printed S-S still doesn't do enough.

Now, with the competing newspapers selling out and simply becoming carbon copies of themselves, FAU is getting even more short thrift!

Case in point: Sunday's post sports section offered just one FAU story, and that was on page 9 following numerous pages of Miami, Florida, Florida State and even out-of-state game stories. Bad, huh? But even worse, the story was written by Sun-Sentinel writer Hutton!

The Palm Beach Post - arguably the metro area's largest, best read and most successful newspaper - did not spend one ounce of effort to cover an important out-of-conference football game - with lots of interesting angles, especially afterward - by the metro area's only major college division (any division) football program. Nothing. Nada!

The Post just picked up the Sun-Sentinel's coverage.

It was a poor financial and journalistic decision. And slap to FAU's collective face.

It's a disgrace. Shame on the Post, really. It's not like this was some Tuesday night baseball game at South Alabama or something.

I am going to make my feelings about this unbalanced, chintzy coverage to both the sports and main editors, as well as the publisher. I'll post a list of contacts soon so, hopefully, any of you can do the same.

I am also not going to renew my Post subscription, and I will let the sales rep know why (as if that will make any difference). But maybe if we all did that - and all make a conscious effort to avoid Post advertisers, or even tell Post advertisers that and why we no longer read or support that paper - we might make a dent here.

Enough is enough.

Your thoughts?
Back to the top

Re: Palm Beach Post's FAU Coverage = FAIL!

When they screw over FAU, they don't get much of a backlash. Upset fans have to write to the paper directly if we want more coverage.
Back to the top

It's not personal. It's just a sign of the times:

Fewer people are subscribing to newspapers to help conserve money. When circulation #'s go down, a newspaper's ad rates go down. When ad rates go down, newspapers make cutbacks, including a reduction in staffing. Therefore, newspapers are relying more on AP and shared news coverage. Which means the "less important" stories will go unwritten.

However, I think Ted's SS blog does an excellent job. PBP blog is lacking. But no more than the Miami Herald's blog on FIU.
Back to the top

It's not personal. It's just a sign of the times:

Fewer people are subscribing to newspapers to help conserve money. When circulation #'s go down, a newspaper's ad rates go down. When ad rates go down, newspapers make cutbacks, including a reduction in staffing. Therefore, newspapers are relying more on AP and shared news coverage. Which means the "less important" stories will go unwritten.

However, I think Ted's SS blog does an excellent job. PBP blog is lacking. But no more than the Miami Herald's blog on FIU.
Back to the top

What could they have possibly written about FSU?  I was a bit shocked but man that was a whooping.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

What could they have possibly written about FSU?  I was a bit shocked but man that was a whooping.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Pretty sure the Post is in a lot of trouble which is why the Sentinel prints their papers. It may have been that they use some of the same articles to cut costs.

Is there even a beat reporter for fau for the post?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Pretty sure the Post is in a lot of trouble which is why the Sentinel prints their papers. It may have been that they use some of the same articles to cut costs.

Is there even a beat reporter for fau for the post?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Once people were able to surf GoogleNews from their iPhone while riding the subway or getting Starbucks, a physical newspaper became irrelevant to everyone except technophobes and newspaper romanticists.
Back to the top
Control functions: