Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Four FAU football players were suspended for USF Game!

Four FAU football players were suspended by school, not NCAA

By Tom D'angelo Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Posted: 6:39 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 30, 2010

BOCA RATON — The four FAU players suspended for Saturday's game against South Florida for their part in an off-campus party were suspended by the school after FAU officials informed the NCAA.

The players - seniors Tavious Polo and Daniel Joseph of Lake Worth and redshirt sophomores David Terrell of Boca Raton and Demetrius Williamson - either were pictured or named on a flyer promoting a party that was distributed at Lockhart Stadium Saturday during the Owls' loss to North Texas.

Polo and Joseph were named as hosts.

NCAA bylaws prohibit an athlete's name or picture to be used to advertise or promote the sale or use of a commercial product. The party, held in Boca Raton following the game, included a cover charge but the players did not receive any money, according to a source.

The infraction was submitted as a secondary violation, which typically does not warrant a suspension, but coach Howard Schnellenberger decided to suspend the four.

Polo has started all three games this season at cornerback and Joseph, a defensive end, was promoted to a starter against North Texas.
Back to the top

Four FAU football players were suspended by school, not NCAA

By Tom D'angelo Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Posted: 6:39 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 30, 2010

BOCA RATON — The four FAU players suspended for Saturday's game against South Florida for their part in an off-campus party were suspended by the school after FAU officials informed the NCAA.

The players - seniors Tavious Polo and Daniel Joseph of Lake Worth and redshirt sophomores David Terrell of Boca Raton and Demetrius Williamson - either were pictured or named on a flyer promoting a party that was distributed at Lockhart Stadium Saturday during the Owls' loss to North Texas.

Polo and Joseph were named as hosts.

NCAA bylaws prohibit an athlete's name or picture to be used to advertise or promote the sale or use of a commercial product. The party, held in Boca Raton following the game, included a cover charge but the players did not receive any money, according to a source.

The infraction was submitted as a secondary violation, which typically does not warrant a suspension, but coach Howard Schnellenberger decided to suspend the four.

Polo has started all three games this season at cornerback and Joseph, a defensive end, was promoted to a starter against North Texas.
Back to the top

Re: Four FAU football players were suspended for USF Game!

We can't afford to have anyone out for this game…..guys need to step up…

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

We can't afford to have anyone out for this game…..guys need to step up…

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

These guys are seniors and have been playing FAU football for a long time.  Bad leadership.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

These guys are seniors and have been playing FAU football for a long time.  Bad leadership.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I wonder if it was at least a good party, any one go?
;D
Back to the top

I wonder if it was at least a good party, any one go?
;D
Back to the top

I know players go through NCAA rules and media training. What possesses them to be so stupid as to do something like this? It's got to be poor character miked with bad coaching.
Back to the top

I know players go through NCAA rules and media training. What possesses them to be so stupid as to do something like this? It's got to be poor character miked with bad coaching.
Back to the top
Control functions: