Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt towns

To those who have traveled and watched FAU play, what were your experiences in the Sun Belt towns:

Bowling Green, KY (WKU)
Denton, TX (UNT)
Jonesboro, AR  (ASU)
Monroe, LA (ULM)
Murfreesboro, TN (MTSU)
Troy, AL (Troy)

Back to the top

Sun Belt towns

To those who have traveled and watched FAU play, what were your experiences in the Sun Belt towns:

Bowling Green, KY (WKU)
Denton, TX (UNT)
Jonesboro, AR  (ASU)
Monroe, LA (ULM)
Murfreesboro, TN (MTSU)
Troy, AL (Troy)

Back to the top

Re: Sun Belt towns

Miami (FIU)

-it sucked
Back to the top

Sun Belt towns

Miami (FIU)

-it sucked
Back to the top

Denton, TX was kinda neat. The campus is cool - it has what appears to be Greek housing and student apartments build around the campus. UNT has a beautiful alumni center (not better than ours though! OK.. I'm a little bias :)  )

Denton is near Dallas, so Dallas had the "nightlife."

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Denton, TX was kinda neat. The campus is cool - it has what appears to be Greek housing and student apartments build around the campus. UNT has a beautiful alumni center (not better than ours though! OK.. I'm a little bias :)  )

Denton is near Dallas, so Dallas had the "nightlife."

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

I have only been to two of those… Bowling Green and Murfreesboro.

MTSU's stadium is not bad… it is bowled in which is nice, they have a nice video board in one endzone.  My complaint is that it is very erector set-ish and the outside is mostly chain link fence.  Those are asthetic issues though.  The thing with MTSU's facilities is that they need to dress them up a little more.  Not a total overhaul, just a little more window dressing.  I don't think MTSU fans would disagree with that too much.

Same thing with thier basketball arena.  I actually like the layout of the arena with about 4500 chairbacks in the lower bowl… a good number for most games… and then roll out bleachers at the top for big games.  But they have these sound baffles on the ceiling from the 60's.  Thier video monitors are small.  It just looks very old.  Needs a remodel.

The city of Murfreesboro is a nice town.  Not too big, not too small.  Only about 30 minutes from the Nashville airport.  Of course there is tons to do in Nashville.  Obviously all of the country music stuff.  2nd avenue.  The Parthenon.  The Titans.

I'm biased, but here is WKU/BG.

Stadium:  Small but nice.  The new side is top of the line.  The whole thing is concrete, no aluminum erector set structures.  The press box needs to be redone as it is open and subject to the weather.  The video board is top of the line.

Arena:  Arguably the best in the belt.  Good size for the draw… two huge video boards, luxury suites, newly added video ribbons under the scores tables.

City:  Bowling Green is a fairly small town, only about 100000 in Warren County.  There are some nice attractions in the area.  Mammoth Cave national park is just up the road, National Corvette museaum is nice even if you are not a car fan.
Back to the top

WKU_Slam_Dunk, thanks for the insightful post!

Was going to attend the upcoming game, but plans fell through with a "call of duty" from work recently.

Disappointed…

Curious though about the press box comment…hadn't heard that before?

Can you expound?

Back to the top

Rick said

WKU_Slam_Dunk, thanks for the insightful post!

Was going to attend the upcoming game, but plans fell through with a "call of duty" from work recently.

Disappointed…

Curious though about the press box comment…hadn't heard that before?

Can you expound?

Now keep in mind, I am not talking about the luxury box on the new side.  I am talking about the actual press box on the old side.  I have heard of more than one opposing media person or coordinator complain about it.

First of all, it is open air.  They have a roof over thier head, but the window is just open into the stadium.  You all may take your weather for granted but it gets cold up here.  So the people calling the game are cold up there.

Second, there is no private access to the press box.  You literally have to go up into the stands, and walk up to the stairs to the highest point.  I have been up there when I was younger and it was an exertion then.  That is quite a trek up there.  Especially if you have to carry equipment or laptops or what have you.

I think it would be good publicity to have visiting media people raving about how nice our facilities are.  As it stands the boxes need to be enclosed and climate controlled, and there probably needs to be an elevator installed if that is possible.
Back to the top

Oh, and one more thing about BG, we recently got a minor league baseball team.  The stadium is small but VERY nice.  I never thought I would see pro sports of any kind in BG, it is really cool.  WKU hosted the University of Kentucky there this past season and drew 6000 for it.

Rumor has it that WKU wants to have the 2012 Sunbelt tournament there.  If that happens it will be a fantastic venue for it. 
Back to the top
Control functions: