Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The state of our program

This is maybe the lowest point in our history change is needed more then ever. Howard has to go an you guys who don't see that you do not know football.

First I am so tired of reading on these broads every spring how stars don't matter and the way we recruit is just fine.
In 2007 we were 8-5
In 2008 we were 7-6
In 2009 we were 5-7
And now look were we are heading now.

Our poor recruiting is the reason why we are heading in the direction. You can not depend on just finding hidden talent and hope that works out. You have to steal some talent from bigger programs do i expect kids to chose us over UF no but there is NO reason we shouldn't be able to to convince a couple guys that are being recruited by USF, UCF Iowa State to come play for us and those few guys will make a huge difference in the Sun-Belt play.
Look at our basketball program they already have 2012 commits and our football program that has a history of much more winning has 1 for 2011. Don't use that stadium as an excuse there are program that have other huge issues that seem to do better then us.

That Fact is Howard has lost his touch. If he was a so called ''NAME'' we would not be 121 in the country in recruiting out of 120 Div 1 teams.
We also have to look at just how this team has made the same mistakes happens over and over again a lot of t is just simply on poor coaching.
There is a lot of changes going on in college football if we do not make the changes needed to get us back on map FAST we will get left behind.
Back to the top

The state of our program

The state of our program

This is maybe the lowest point in our history change is needed more then ever. Howard has to go an you guys who don't see that you do not know football.

First I am so tired of reading on these broads every spring how stars don't matter and the way we recruit is just fine.
In 2007 we were 8-5
In 2008 we were 7-6
In 2009 we were 5-7
And now look were we are heading now.

Our poor recruiting is the reason why we are heading in the direction. You can not depend on just finding hidden talent and hope that works out. You have to steal some talent from bigger programs do i expect kids to chose us over UF no but there is NO reason we shouldn't be able to to convince a couple guys that are being recruited by USF, UCF Iowa State to come play for us and those few guys will make a huge difference in the Sun-Belt play.
Look at our basketball program they already have 2012 commits and our football program that has a history of much more winning has 1 for 2011. Don't use that stadium as an excuse there are program that have other huge issues that seem to do better then us.

That Fact is Howard has lost his touch. If he was a so called ''NAME'' we would not be 121 in the country in recruiting out of 120 Div 1 teams.
We also have to look at just how this team has made the same mistakes happens over and over again a lot of t is just simply on poor coaching.
There is a lot of changes going on in college football if we do not make the changes needed to get us back on map FAST we will get left behind.
Back to the top

Re: The state of our program

I was at the UM game so I dont know much about what happened tonight but something obviously has to give
Back to the top

I was at the UM game so I dont know much about what happened tonight but something obviously has to give
Back to the top

We're definitely on a downward spiral.
Back to the top

We're definitely on a downward spiral.
Back to the top

I've been meaning to create one of these threads lately so..
My thoughts are :
-The stadium is going to mean squadoosh if we don't win. We'll be like every other bottom dweller in FBS, which is basically the Sun-Belt with some Conf. USA teams. We'll have a stadium on campus…that no one goes to.
-Coaching HAS to change. Now before I get bashed for saying "Coach is the only reason we are where we are."  Yes, I know that without a doubt, FAU would not have a conference championship and two bowl wins if it were not for Coach S and I am terribly grateful that I've been able to witness this. However, something is different. I love the whole "diamonds in the rough" idea for recruiting, but in the past few years our recruits have been "rated" as lower quality players and I think this year we may be seeing the results of that. In my opinion there is NO way we should have had the lowest rated recruiting class in the country last year, and we certainly shouldn't have been near the bottom the previous year. We had just won the conference and two bowl games! No other team in the Sun-Belt could say that. Not even almighty Troy. Also, we seem to make the SAME mistakes every year. Personal fouls, dumb mistakes and being just plain undisciplined. This is a CONSTANT problem that really needs to be addressed. One last thing about coaching…SPECIAL TEAMS. Holy crap, how can we continually struggle with special teams as bad as we do? PATs should not be "please let there be a good snap, please let us block the other team, please don't miss it, etc." And punts? Geeze, how many blocked punts have we had in the past 3 years? THIS comes down to coaching. No other way to put it. It seems as if Coach just ignores it likes its going to get better on its own. No wonder we've never had a punt or kickoff return for a TD. We probably don't even practice blocking! I will say that Groody has been pretty consistent this year and his rugby style of punt is helping alot. He's had alot of pretty impressive punts. Still, our special teams is a joke and it has to be fixed.
-I know there may be down years and rebuilding years, but how on earth can we go from 8-5 down to possibly 1-10?! I understand that '08 was bad because the team believed all the hype, but who does that fall on? The coaches should have not let that happen, even though it is the players' responsibility, I still think coaching had a lot to do with it. And even last year, we were literally 4 or 5 plays away from going 7-5 or even 8-4! (I'll explain that if you want me to) Point being, we should not have such a huge drop off.

There's probably some other things that I'll remember later on. I love this team and I'll still be at all the games and support them through thick and thin. I appreciate EVERYTHING Coach Schnellenberger has done for this university and I know we wouldn't even have these expectations if it weren't for him. However, something has to change. Maybe its just the WAY we coach or something like that, but something has to be done. With that said, when's basketball season start?  :P

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I've been meaning to create one of these threads lately so..
My thoughts are :
-The stadium is going to mean squadoosh if we don't win. We'll be like every other bottom dweller in FBS, which is basically the Sun-Belt with some Conf. USA teams. We'll have a stadium on campus…that no one goes to.
-Coaching HAS to change. Now before I get bashed for saying "Coach is the only reason we are where we are."  Yes, I know that without a doubt, FAU would not have a conference championship and two bowl wins if it were not for Coach S and I am terribly grateful that I've been able to witness this. However, something is different. I love the whole "diamonds in the rough" idea for recruiting, but in the past few years our recruits have been "rated" as lower quality players and I think this year we may be seeing the results of that. In my opinion there is NO way we should have had the lowest rated recruiting class in the country last year, and we certainly shouldn't have been near the bottom the previous year. We had just won the conference and two bowl games! No other team in the Sun-Belt could say that. Not even almighty Troy. Also, we seem to make the SAME mistakes every year. Personal fouls, dumb mistakes and being just plain undisciplined. This is a CONSTANT problem that really needs to be addressed. One last thing about coaching…SPECIAL TEAMS. Holy crap, how can we continually struggle with special teams as bad as we do? PATs should not be "please let there be a good snap, please let us block the other team, please don't miss it, etc." And punts? Geeze, how many blocked punts have we had in the past 3 years? THIS comes down to coaching. No other way to put it. It seems as if Coach just ignores it likes its going to get better on its own. No wonder we've never had a punt or kickoff return for a TD. We probably don't even practice blocking! I will say that Groody has been pretty consistent this year and his rugby style of punt is helping alot. He's had alot of pretty impressive punts. Still, our special teams is a joke and it has to be fixed.
-I know there may be down years and rebuilding years, but how on earth can we go from 8-5 down to possibly 1-10?! I understand that '08 was bad because the team believed all the hype, but who does that fall on? The coaches should have not let that happen, even though it is the players' responsibility, I still think coaching had a lot to do with it. And even last year, we were literally 4 or 5 plays away from going 7-5 or even 8-4! (I'll explain that if you want me to) Point being, we should not have such a huge drop off.

There's probably some other things that I'll remember later on. I love this team and I'll still be at all the games and support them through thick and thin. I appreciate EVERYTHING Coach Schnellenberger has done for this university and I know we wouldn't even have these expectations if it weren't for him. However, something has to change. Maybe its just the WAY we coach or something like that, but something has to be done. With that said, when's basketball season start?  :P

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Faufosho has the biggest point and we are falling quick.  The team has no confidence to win and it starts from the coaches and trickles down to the players.  Our recruiting is terrible…..i've seen some of the guys who visit the campus and man they are short, and not fit for D1 football.  We need to try and change the philosophy, and get some guys who know how to play this game not a bunch of scrubs.  Our coach has done the best he can for this team with the slim to none athletic budget, the 5 scholarships fau can give , the lack of total fan support, and facilities.  he is a legend and without him this operation wouldve never got going. Ok so we get the stadium but that's not going to bring the best recruits in the country to fau.  It starts with the culture of the team, the program and the direction this team is going……  We have made too many excuses so we don't put up a fight against michigan state and claim our goal is to win the sun belt , but what happens now when we lose back to back games against the worst teams in D1………someone needs to give their job up for example the offensive coordinator…he's a total joke the play calling is as predictable as a pop warner game.  The special teams is disastrous, mickey groody had a punt with no hang time whatsoever and it went like 25 to 30 yards….that's plain terrible and he got a scholarship, i know 5 guys in miami right now who can do better.  Plain and simple there needs to be some type of overhaul, and  we need to start from scratch.  I think there are a lot of things going wrong here.  The university is growing and sports programs  are a driving force for student involvement and a traditional atmosphere. In order to preserve this with fau we need to embrace it now.  Rusty was a gem and to think he was behind sean clayton  who was the starter and it was an act of faith to play him and the rest is history.  Van Camp is playing scared, and not performing at his best for us to win even though all the other factors are known(bad special teams, play calling).  He's gone after this year anyways, give someone else a shot that way they are prepared for our bodybag start in 2011.  If we lose to western kentucky and fiu then what do we got to say then.  If it doesn't get fixed quickly we will just be another losing program with a nice stadium thats half empty. 
Back to the top

Faufosho has the biggest point and we are falling quick.  The team has no confidence to win and it starts from the coaches and trickles down to the players.  Our recruiting is terrible…..i've seen some of the guys who visit the campus and man they are short, and not fit for D1 football.  We need to try and change the philosophy, and get some guys who know how to play this game not a bunch of scrubs.  Our coach has done the best he can for this team with the slim to none athletic budget, the 5 scholarships fau can give , the lack of total fan support, and facilities.  he is a legend and without him this operation wouldve never got going. Ok so we get the stadium but that's not going to bring the best recruits in the country to fau.  It starts with the culture of the team, the program and the direction this team is going……  We have made too many excuses so we don't put up a fight against michigan state and claim our goal is to win the sun belt , but what happens now when we lose back to back games against the worst teams in D1………someone needs to give their job up for example the offensive coordinator…he's a total joke the play calling is as predictable as a pop warner game.  The special teams is disastrous, mickey groody had a punt with no hang time whatsoever and it went like 25 to 30 yards….that's plain terrible and he got a scholarship, i know 5 guys in miami right now who can do better.  Plain and simple there needs to be some type of overhaul, and  we need to start from scratch.  I think there are a lot of things going wrong here.  The university is growing and sports programs  are a driving force for student involvement and a traditional atmosphere. In order to preserve this with fau we need to embrace it now.  Rusty was a gem and to think he was behind sean clayton  who was the starter and it was an act of faith to play him and the rest is history.  Van Camp is playing scared, and not performing at his best for us to win even though all the other factors are known(bad special teams, play calling).  He's gone after this year anyways, give someone else a shot that way they are prepared for our bodybag start in 2011.  If we lose to western kentucky and fiu then what do we got to say then.  If it doesn't get fixed quickly we will just be another losing program with a nice stadium thats half empty. 
Back to the top
Control functions: