Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Austin Jensen’s triumph: Beating odds after near-fatal accident (with video)

Awesome! Check out the photos of him running sprints recently…guy looks to be in great shape.

============================================================
============

Austin Jensen stutter-stepped through the agility ladder and accelerated, sprinting another 20 yards across the track infield under the summer sun.

“Yes, Yesss, YESSS!” shouted Mike Smith, Manatee High School’s track coach. “Dude, that was pretty.”
Then he had Jensen run it again. And again.

The 21-year-old former Hurricane did so with abandon, despite the heat and humidity, flying down his grass comeback trail marked off by small orange traffic cones.

There was no crowd to roar its approval, like so many memorable Friday nights the two-time all-state linebacker enjoyed at Hawkins Stadium, but it didn’t matter.

Austin Jensen was euphoric.

“I feel freedom. Release. Being able to do what I really like doing,” said the senior Florida Atlantic University safety and special teamer. “I was skittish at first, feeling it out. But once I knew I was fine, it was exhilarating.”

Full Story
Back to the top

Re: Austin Jensen’s triumph: Beating odds after near-fatal accident (with video)

Great story, cannot wait to see him get back on the field.
Back to the top

Re: Austin Jensen’s triumph: Beating odds after near-fatal accident (with video)

He's a great player. Looking forward to him coming back. Like Bartels, he shows a knack for finding the ball.
Back to the top

owlmart said

Great story, cannot wait to see him get back on the field.

owlcountry said

He's a great player. Looking forward to him coming back. Like Bartels, he shows a knack for finding the ball.

Jensen is in class - started yesterday…

Shouldn't be too long before he pops up at the Oxley…
Back to the top

Nice article on Austin today from The Post's Tom D'Angelo…

===============

Jensen has not been told he'll never play again, which gives him hope he can be on the field next season when FAU plays its first game in its new on-campus stadium. He was a special-teams contributor in each of his three seasons and joined the rotation at safety last season. He is a senior but has one more season of football eligibility.

"I'm putting it in Austin's hands," Kim said. "No doubt in my mind he'll be back."

Full Story
Back to the top

Austin Jensen’s triumph: Beating odds after near-fatal accident (with video)

Nice article on Austin today from The Post's Tom D'Angelo…

===============

Jensen has not been told he'll never play again, which gives him hope he can be on the field next season when FAU plays its first game in its new on-campus stadium. He was a special-teams contributor in each of his three seasons and joined the rotation at safety last season. He is a senior but has one more season of football eligibility.

"I'm putting it in Austin's hands," Kim said. "No doubt in my mind he'll be back."

Full Story
Back to the top

Word out today from FAU that Austin will not play in 2011:

Head Coach Howard Schnellenberger and redshirt senior safety Austin Jensen announced to the team at the day’s conclusion that Jensen would not play football in 2011, due to injuries suffered in a 2010 car accident.

“Austin finally made the decision and he worked hard to get back but the doctor was skeptical,” said Schnellenberger.
Back to the top

Nice piece on Jensen considering the decathlon with football now ruled out…

“I’ll be the whole team,” he said. “I’ll be a one-man track team.”

“I just have to learn the high jump and pole vault, and I think I’m athletic enough to figure it out,” said Jensen, who graduates in December and plans to work toward a master’s degree next spring. “If I’m going to be the only one on the team, I’m not just going to do two events. Might as well do 10 events and be good in all of them.”

Story
Back to the top
Control functions: