Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

KEYS TO TURNING THIS SEASON AROUND

The board has been awfully quiet this week. That is proven by the fact that the 2011 bonfire is getting the most attention on this board. Time to reflect a bit on the season and to what needs to be done in order to improve with 7 games left.

1) Confidence - This goes for both players and coaches. When the coaches demonstrate confidence in the players the players will gain confidence in themselves. Lots of people are pointing to Detroit and the "vote of no confidence" as having a significant negative impact on this team. Time to get the confidence back.

2) Discipline - FAU has historically lacked discipline. Too many penalties and too many mistakes (dropped balls, missed blocks, etc.). This team needs to gain some discipline in a hurry if they hope to be competitive.

3) O-Line - The play of the O-line needs to improve. This is a difficult one to fix since the line has little experience and is a patchwork of reserve players who are largely undersized. Even so, they are the starters and they need to get better. The right offensive calls would help to put them in a position to succeed as well. Keep blocking schemes basic so that the line can have some success and gain some confidence in themselves (see #1).

4) Spice up the playbook - At this point in the season there is no reason not to mix things up a bit. This falls on the coaching staff. Throw in some wrinkles and maybe just maybe that will be the spark needed to ignite this team.

5) Find legit #2 and #3 receivers - Lester Jean is going it alone at WR. He has 413 yards receiving and the next closest WR has 70. Jean also has more catches than all other WRs combined. FAU needs to develop multiple receiver threats. If this means bringing in some younger players so be it.

6) Improve the run defense - The FAU defense is better than last season. However, there is still room for improvement especially against the run.

7) Get the running game going - FAU is ranked 113th in rushing yards per game. With Morris returning after a stellar sophomore campaign hopes were high for the run game. Morris looks to have gotten on track against ULM. He needs to continue to improve. This will also depend heavily on the O-line (see #3).

GO OWLS!!!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

The board has been awfully quiet this week. That is proven by the fact that the 2011 bonfire is getting the most attention on this board. Time to reflect a bit on the season and to what needs to be done in order to improve with 7 games left.

1) Confidence - This goes for both players and coaches. When the coaches demonstrate confidence in the players the players will gain confidence in themselves. Lots of people are pointing to Detroit and the "vote of no confidence" as having a significant negative impact on this team. Time to get the confidence back.

2) Discipline - FAU has historically lacked discipline. Too many penalties and too many mistakes (dropped balls, missed blocks, etc.). This team needs to gain some discipline in a hurry if they hope to be competitive.

3) O-Line - The play of the O-line needs to improve. This is a difficult one to fix since the line has little experience and is a patchwork of reserve players who are largely undersized. Even so, they are the starters and they need to get better. The right offensive calls would help to put them in a position to succeed as well. Keep blocking schemes basic so that the line can have some success and gain some confidence in themselves (see #1).

4) Spice up the playbook - At this point in the season there is no reason not to mix things up a bit. This falls on the coaching staff. Throw in some wrinkles and maybe just maybe that will be the spark needed to ignite this team.

5) Find legit #2 and #3 receivers - Lester Jean is going it alone at WR. He has 413 yards receiving and the next closest WR has 70. Jean also has more catches than all other WRs combined. FAU needs to develop multiple receiver threats. If this means bringing in some younger players so be it.

6) Improve the run defense - The FAU defense is better than last season. However, there is still room for improvement especially against the run.

7) Get the running game going - FAU is ranked 113th in rushing yards per game. With Morris returning after a stellar sophomore campaign hopes were high for the run game. Morris looks to have gotten on track against ULM. He needs to continue to improve. This will also depend heavily on the O-line (see #3).

GO OWLS!!!!!

Back to the top

Re: KEYS TO TURNING THIS SEASON AROUND

The defense is in fact improved, no doubt about that.

However Coach was right when he said we will need to be able to score 3-4 times per game to win this season…

So far, that has been spot on.

Folks lose site of just how good our offense was last season amidst the fact that we gave up so many points.

If you just had one more TD per game, we are 3-2 and not 1-4.

Regardless, we can still turn it around, but need to score more points immediately to do so…
Back to the top

However Coach was right when he said we will need to be able to score 3-4 times per game to win this season…

Folks lose site of just how good our offense was last season amidst the fact that we gave up so many points.

Regardless, we can still turn it around, but need to score more points immediately to do so…
Back to the top

Rick said

Very true about scoring more points. Scoring points will be the product of FAU accomplishing everything on the list aside from #6.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

I try to stay away from posting after a loss. There is just to much emotion, both on my own end and also from other posters, for me to express how I feel about the loss and the program.

That being said after a few days I've come to the following conclusion…

We as a fan base are SPOILED by our programs success.

We've had a Conference Championship and 2 Bowl wins in 5 years of FBS Football. Almost every other conference team fan base would give their left and right testicle, plus a pinky or two, to have that kind of success.

A few know that I post on almost every 'Belt teams board and am a moderator on the Sun Belt Board. I do this because I enjoy talking to other conference fans, learning about their programs, and enjoying some friendly banter. After reading those boards and talking to other 'Belt fans, I make the above statement with firm conviction.

Ask ULM fans, who have NEVER been to a bowl let alone won one.
Ask ULL fans who's last bowl was 40 YEARS ago.
Ask FIU fans who have only had one winning season, and that was vacated by the NCAA.
Ask UNT fans who hired a HIGH SCHOOL coach and have only 5 wins in 5 years.
Ask WKU fans who are on a 23 game LOSING streak going back over 2 years.

Am I happy about the fact that we as a program did not capitalize fully on the 2007 season in terms of recruiting and facilities? HELL NO, but I'm no bad wagon jumper. Ive been here since the beginning along with most of you here. I will be here even if we don't win another game this year. (Which is likely with the way the Oline is playing and hurt)

Have mistakes been made by the coach's and players this year? HELL YES. But that happens, one must move on, correct them, and do your best not to repeat them. However they will. Its the nature of the beast.

Things WILL get better. The Stadium WILL help recruiting. The O'line gains experience on every play. The Defense had its best outing yet.

Yes you may criticize, yes you may rage against bonehead mistakes, yes you may whine and moan about vanilla play calling. That is your right as a fan. But it is your DUTY as a fan to do the below at the same time…

Keep the faith, SUPPORT your team, Be PROUD TO BE AN OWL.

Sorry for the novel, but this has been brewing inside of me ever since the ULM loss. I finally found the words I wanted to express it.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Owlfamily,

Thank you for that, I think we all needed to hear that.  I never thought we (as the FAU fanbase) were gonna be that spoiled brat bunch, especially after the relatively minor accomplishments we've made, but I think your right.  Without even knowing it, I think we have gotten a little spoiled.  We expect to have atleast a decent conference record everyseason, when in reality we all know that there is no consistency at all in the SBC and every year its pretty much a crap shoot.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, while some of us may whine and moan, and say "we quit", none of us on here ever will.  I like to think that atleast the majority of posters on this board are hardcore, lifelong fans who bleed FAU.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

Owlfamily,

Thank you for that, I think we all needed to hear that.  I never thought we (as the FAU fanbase) were gonna be that spoiled brat bunch, especially after the relatively minor accomplishments we've made, but I think your right.  Without even knowing it, I think we have gotten a little spoiled.  We expect to have atleast a decent conference record everyseason, when in reality we all know that there is no consistency at all in the SBC and every year its pretty much a crap shoot.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, while some of us may whine and moan, and say "we quit", none of us on here ever will.  I like to think that atleast the majority of posters on this board are hardcore, lifelong fans who bleed FAU.

Agree totally.

-Go Owls…Forever FAU!
Back to the top

owlfamily said

I try to stay away from posting after a loss. There is just to much emotion, both on my own end and also from other posters, for me to express how I feel about the loss and the program.

That being said after a few days I've come to the following conclusion…

We as a fan base are SPOILED by our programs success.

We've had a Conference Championship and 2 Bowl wins in 5 years of FBS Football. Almost every other conference team fan base would give their left and right testicle, plus a pinky or two, to have that kind of success.

A few know that I post on almost every 'Belt teams board and am a moderator on the Sun Belt Board. I do this because I enjoy talking to other conference fans, learning about their programs, and enjoying some friendly banter. After reading those boards and talking to other 'Belt fans, I make the above statement with firm conviction.

Ask ULM fans, who have NEVER been to a bowl let alone won one.
Ask ULL fans who's last bowl was 40 YEARS ago.
Ask FIU fans who have only had one winning season, and that was vacated by the NCAA.
Ask UNT fans who hired a HIGH SCHOOL coach and have only 5 wins in 5 years.
Ask WKU fans who are on a 23 game LOSING streak going back over 2 years.

Am I happy about the fact that we as a program did not capitalize fully on the 2007 season in terms of recruiting and facilities? HELL NO, but I'm no bad wagon jumper. Ive been here since the beginning along with most of you here. I will be here even if we don't win another game this year. (Which is likely with the way the Oline is playing and hurt)

Have mistakes been made by the coach's and players this year? HELL YES. But that happens, one must move on, correct them, and do your best not to repeat them. However they will. Its the nature of the beast.

Things WILL get better. The Stadium WILL help recruiting. The O'line gains experience on every play. The Defense had its best outing yet.

Yes you may criticize, yes you may rage against bonehead mistakes, yes you may whine and moan about vanilla play calling. That is your right as a fan. But it is your DUTY as a fan to do the below at the same time…

Keep the faith, SUPPORT your team, Be PROUD TO BE AN OWL.

Sorry for the novel, but this has been brewing inside of me ever since the ULM loss. I finally found the words I wanted to express it.

Nice post Owlfamily :)
Back to the top

100% agree Owlfamily, hit the nail on the head. We can bitch, but we have to support the program all the way. Go Owls
Back to the top
Control functions: