Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New Stadium Will Pay Dividends in Recruiting

There's not much to say about playing football games in a facility that was built in 1959, is well behind current amenity and atmosphere standards, and is located 15 miles from your campus.

That's exactly why the FAU coaching staff has been steering clear of their current home at Lockhart Stadium at times; knowing that there would be no tempting value in showing the predominantly high school game facility to potential prospects.

That can hurt though, when the premier offering cupboard is left bare after signing day. FAU has lost some of their better prospects in the last two classes to larger programs.

"Last year we got down to the last couple of days with some great players we ended up losing", said Kurt Van Valkenburgh, who serves as both defensive coordinator and head of the Owls' recruiting efforts. "But we were in battles with Wisconsin, Louisville and programs like that. If we had landed one or two of them we would have landed a phenomenal class, but we didn't."

With time, comes change, as the Owls' will officially break ground on "FAU Stadium" on Friday afternoon.

From a recruiting standpoint, it will mean the ability to showcase a full weekend game experience, highlighted by a contest that takes place in a brand new venue residing within the heart of the University.

It should also mean commitments from better talent.

"It makes your game week, and will be something that will impress them" said Van Valkenburgh of future recruits. "A showcase to be in, and a real asset to us all around."

Van Valkenburgh expects the project to have an immediate impact, while helping avoid the line snaps which allowed some of the bigger fish to get away in the past.

"When we start bringing them in January, it (stadium) will be far enough along that you can go out there and they can see it. That should be a big plus. From an overall recruiting standpoint, it's the last piece of the puzzle to come in."

Thoughts from current Owl standout running back Alfred Morris confirm the notion.

"It would have made a bigger impact", said Morris. "It would have made me more eager to come."

He's a solid benchmark, for sure.
Back to the top

Re: New Stadium Will Pay Dividends in Recruiting

Good stuff. Like it or not the stadium and facilities in general are significant for recruiting. Players want to play in front of big crowds and they like shiny and new. FAU will be a much more attractive option once the stadium is in place. I think it is safe to say that recruiting will improve exponentially.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I will tell you a lot of local talent will stay around....

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

I will tell you a lot of local talent will stay around….
I hope so…too much local talent goes outside the state, we need to hit Palm Beach and Broward county hard this yr lots of good recruits this year
Back to the top

owlmart said

Silver_Bullet32 said

I hope so…too much local talent goes outside the state, we need to hit Palm Beach and Broward county hard this yr lots of good recruits this year

We only have four offers out to recruits living in Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Looks like we are going after Dade county boys and kids in central FL.
Back to the top

New Stadium Will Pay Dividends in Recruiting

^^^Understandable, there's talent all across the state but I feel we have 4 or 5 of the top football programs in the country within the 2 counties we really should be going after them instead of letting them go to the Minnesota's and Iowas.
Back to the top

I have to update that listing…it's been a while…some changes to add to it…
Back to the top

Captain said

owlmart said

Silver_Bullet32 said

We only have four offers out to recruits living in Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Is there a reason that only one D-lineman is being offered? It seems as though we should have multiple offers out with the hopes of signing one or two in every class.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Is there a reason that only one D-lineman is being offered? It seems as though we should have multiple offers out with the hopes of signing one or two in every class.

According to Rick, there have been some changes to this list.

But perhaps ESPN's list is more current: College Football Recruiting Schools - ESPN
Back to the top

Captain said

owlmart said

Silver_Bullet32 said

Nine are from Broward & Palm Beach.  Focus should be from Palm Beach south.  Lots of great talent in Dade that doesn't go to the Big 3 that go OOS, USF, UCF, even MTSU.

No reason we shouldn't be picking up those kids.
Back to the top
Control functions: