Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Equestrian Team

Add topic

In spite of its campus sitting just south of one of the most popular equestrian destinations in the world, Florida Atlantic University never has had an equestrian team. This semester, newly elected President Laurel Sendach and Vice President Katie Baker hope to organize and motivate students, join the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association and take the first steps toward becoming a varsity sport at FAU.

Read more here.

Interesting idea. Probably makes more sense at the Jupiter campus, right?
Back to the top

FAU Equestrian Team

In spite of its campus sitting just south of one of the most popular equestrian destinations in the world, Florida Atlantic University never has had an equestrian team. This semester, newly elected President Laurel Sendach and Vice President Katie Baker hope to organize and motivate students, join the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association and take the first steps toward becoming a varsity sport at FAU.

Read more here.

Interesting idea. Probably makes more sense at the Jupiter campus, right?
Back to the top

Re: FAU Equestrian Team

There are lots of equestrians competing west of Boca and Delray. Wellington is the wintertime equestrian capital of the world, with more horses (thousands) and riders than in any other competitive place and with arguably the best equestrian facilities for hunter-jumper, grandprix, dressage, polo and more in the world!

Many FAU students are and were some of the top equestrians in the country. FAU should be able to put together a national championship caliber team, with the right sponsorship and financial support, in little time.

There are all kinds of fund-raisers in and around Wellington starting in the late fall through late spring. I hope a few of them will fund this team and then FAU can find itself on the national equestrian map very quickly.

See: Equestrian Sport Productions, LLC

Back to the top

There are lots of equestrians competing west of Boca and Delray. Wellington is the wintertime equestrian capital of the world, with more horses (thousands) and riders than in any other competitive place and with arguably the best equestrian facilities for hunter-jumper, grandprix, dressage, polo and more in the world!

Many FAU students are and were some of the top equestrians in the country. FAU should be able to put together a national championship caliber team, with the right sponsorship and financial support, in little time.

There are all kinds of fund-raisers in and around Wellington starting in the late fall through late spring. I hope a few of them will fund this team and then FAU can find itself on the national equestrian map very quickly.

See: Equestrian Sport Productions, LLC

Back to the top

While I think its a neat idea and the as Bmarkey says Wellington is the Winter capital for the spots, I cant even BEGIN to imagine how expesnive this sport could be with the mainteance and upkeep of the animals alone being staggering.

Still it would be cool to have a "unique" sport that FAU excells in.

I think stAte has a championship Bowling team!

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

While I think its a neat idea and the as Bmarkey says Wellington is the Winter capital for the spots, I cant even BEGIN to imagine how expesnive this sport could be with the mainteance and upkeep of the animals alone being staggering.

Still it would be cool to have a "unique" sport that FAU excells in.

I think stAte has a championship Bowling team!

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

It's not as expensive as one might imagine. The riders own or lease horses. They ride year-round. They personally ay a hefty price to participate in their sport.

They pay their own way, mostly, for required lessons. The horses don't travel, just the team. The visiting teams use the home team's horses. I believe some top programs own their own horses ad have their own bars, pastures and such, but in this case, fine facilities and horses coud be borrowed/leased nearby. There are costs for judges, insurance and so on.

It's a female-intensive sport, so I suppose it coud have FAU with Title 9 issues.

404 | Women's Sports Foundation

BTW, Troy has a national championship rodeo team.

Back to the top

It's not as expensive as one might imagine. The riders own or lease horses. They ride year-round. They personally ay a hefty price to participate in their sport.

They pay their own way, mostly, for required lessons. The horses don't travel, just the team. The visiting teams use the home team's horses. I believe some top programs own their own horses ad have their own bars, pastures and such, but in this case, fine facilities and horses coud be borrowed/leased nearby. There are costs for judges, insurance and so on.

It's a female-intensive sport, so I suppose it coud have FAU with Title 9 issues.

404 | Women's Sports Foundation

BTW, Troy has a national championship rodeo team.

Back to the top

Here is a September article on the formation of the equestrian team. Daphne has joined and will ride in a pre-season show on Sunday.

FAU equestrians aim to build a varsity show team | www.palmbeachpost.com

Daphne, in some Winter Equestrian Festival shows a number of years ago

Back to the top

FAU Equestrian Team

The FAU Equestrian Team (or formerly known as "The Equestrian Team at FAU", per FAU's new rule about the name coming before FAU) will be competing in it's first Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) show on Oct. 30th at Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). We will have about 5 girls showing this time and more next semester. We are looking for donations and sponsors!

AEA
Back to the top
Control functions: