Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Dave LaMont's FAU @ ASU On Air Outburst...

BMarkey mentioned this when it took place, but went back and listed to the audio archive of the call on the play, and must admit am surprised that one didn't make it on ESPN's top 10!

He definitely went off there for a minute!

=====================================================

The issue was Van Camp being hit with apparent helmet to helmet contact, and no call by the Sun Belt official afterwards - despite being whistle happy all game prior:

(Banging on the window and screaming)

"HE IS DEFENSELESS, HE'S DEFENSELESS!"

"Don't you understand, throw a flag!"

"You know what, I don't really care if you people look at me in the press box."

"You know what, I don't care. That's a flag, and I'll fight any one of you if you want it. That's the mood I'm in at the moment."

"Apparently the team is not only one melting down here."

(13 seconds of total silence)

To hear the audio, Go Here select the "On Demand" tab, then click on the FAU @ ASU link.

Fast forward to the 3:39:45 mark for the start the segment.
Back to the top

Re: Dave LaMont's FAU @ ASU On Air Outburst...

Does anyone think there will be any repercussion from the Sunbelt to the ref or refs that should have thrown a flag on the play?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

After listening it is not as bad as I expected.

He didn't bang on the windows right away which makes me think that he was trying to get the attention of someone right outside the press box. Who I don't know, because I can't imagine he thought the officials would hear him. But it seems to me that the delay on banging and really yelling means that he was trying to get the attention of someone in close proximity to the press box. Anyone know if Wright Waters was at the game?

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Dave LaMont's FAU @ ASU On Air Outburst...

I agree, not as bad as I thought but I hope he does not get fired or into too much trouble.

I did not see the play, but if as bad as it sounded, did Howard or any of the Coaches get into any refs faces. How about our players, any type of reaction from them to protect him or back him up? And what has happened since the game, any official actions by the school and staff protesting the lack of action by the officials. From what i do understand, that was one of the most one-sided officiated games anyone had seen.

I sure hope so, if you are gonna go down, at least go down fighting, with some honor!
Back to the top

Someone posted a link to the FAU radio team's game call on the Sun Belt BBS. It's worth a listen.

Go here (Live Events) and click "On Demand", then find the FAU-ASU football game and skip to around 3:30 or so.

Here's a rundown of what was said before, during and after the meltdown on WEFL-AM 760 …

Play-by-play man Dave Lamont ridiculed teams in the top 25 and the process by which teams are ranked. He specifically criticized Florida's former ranking and, of Texas (a FAU opponent), "Of course, they're terrible."

Earlier, he took some shots at the Sun Belt's quality of players and at the "quiet" town of Jonesboro and ASU's relatively small crowd.

"As far as this game is concerned, it can't end fast enough," he said before ASU scored its 28th consecutive point as the Owl's fourth-quarter meltdown was in full swing.

Just before Lamont's total meltdown, with around 7 minutes to play, he said:

"I know this is gonna sound mean … but Arkansas State is not that good. I admit I was spoiled in where I have been lately (calling last week's Oregon game for ESPN TV) and what I have been watching, but they're not that good … This was just a day when the Owls were their own worst enemy."

FAU QB Jeff Van Camp was hurt in the series just before the alleged helmet-to-helmet incident and came out of the game for one play. Backup QB David Kooi ran one play.

"Oh man, he took a shot," Lamont said. "That was almost helmet-to-helmet at the 15 yard line."

Van Camp then returned, tried to avoid a rush and tried to slide, was hit and the ball came loose. It was called a fumble (the call was questionable, Lamont said, suggesting a coach's challenge), ASU recovered at the 1 yard line and then scored.

Lamont then criticized ASU's lack of a replay video system and other apparently technical goodies.

On the next series for FAU, Van Camp was hit again, at the 27, and his helmet flew off.

"Oh! And he took a hit to the head on the slide! Where's the flag?! Where's the flag?! A hit to the head on a slide is a flag," Lamont screamed. "To the 27 yard line, Van Camp slow to get up. He does get up. His helmet came off. There is not a flag. You cannot tell me that is not a flag. That is not possible! Where's the commissioner?! Where's Wright, where's Wright Waters?! Where's Wright Waters?!"

The co-announcer/color man then repeated that Van Camp's helmet came off as he tried to slide and that there was no excuse for a non-call on the hit.

"That's ridiculous. That's embarrassing! That's embarrassing. That is embarrassing," Lamont jumped in. "That has to be a flag … He is sliding! He's (Van Camp) got to come out of the game now. It is ridiculous! I can't believe that! I cannot believe that!

"Why?! Aaaah. He's defenseless! ("Bam, Bam, Bam, Bam, Bam!" noises) He's defenseless! Don't you understand?! Throw a flag!"

The noise must have gotten the attention of people in the booths next to the FAU radio team, because Lamont then said: "You know what, I don't really care if you people look at me in the press box. I don't care. That's a flag and I'll fight any one of you if you want it. That's the mood I'm in at the moment now." He paused, adding, "Apparently the team is not the only one melting down right now. 5:58 to go."

Then, there were 13 comment-less seconds. Crowd noise could still be heard.

"I apologize. I have lost control and what I just did there was wrong," Lamont said. "It's just been that kind of a day to watch this game and to watch what's happened and to see what has happened in the NFL and what is going on with paralyzed people laying in hospitals, and you allow a hit like that to go unpunished without throwing a flag is inexcusable. That official should be suspended a game period for that effort."

"Luckily, the commissioner is here …" the color man interjected.

"You know what? What's he gonna do about it? He's not even sitting in the press box. And believe me, I looked," Lamont said.

"There has to be a flag and there has to be repercussions for that."

Lamont later called for the game to be ended by the refs due to, in his opinion, continued poor officiating decisions and frustrations breaking out on the field and sidelines.

"If the ref was smart - and we pretty much know he's a little short in that dept - I would pick up the ball and say, 'Get out of here'," Lamont said.

Minutes later, reflecting on the wild turn of events (FAU was winning by 7 with 14 minutes to play) Lamont said, "I started in 2001 with this program and I feel terrible there for losing my temper, I really do. I've sat through some great moments and some really tough games, and I don't remember ever feeling this frustrated about watching the Owls play … It's been a difficult season … I don't know if I've ever seen a more frustrating Owls defeat in 10 years. Even the Middle Tennessee State game, with the last-second pass in the end zone."
Back to the top

I was listening to the game on the radio, and it definitely sounded like Lamont was expressing a "vibe" at that game that couldn't adequately be described over the radio. A couple of breakdowns here and there, and I could see how it might have developed into a cheapshot-fest toward the end of the game. I hope they give this guy a break.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

My brother works in radio. He thinks Lamont will get canned.... That sucks.....We are all this frustrated.

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

He's fine…Ted reported he and Angelos had a chat and he will be on the air this weekend for Shula Bowl IX.
Back to the top

Haha, I love it!  It sounds like my melt down.  I almost went over and beat up my neighbor just to feel better after the game.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Like Rick stated earlier in one of the other threads, this wasn't a national espn radio broadcast or a game being listened to on the radio by hundredes of thousands of people.
Like the former UM player who wanted to fight FIU it was on a much bigger stage and a much bigger school and fan base.
I'm sure he was given a first and final by Angelos. Kind of like we appreciate your passion but you gotta cool it down and not have an outburst like this again or we'll have to replace you.

I wonder what Ken LaVicka's reaction was sitting next to him.

Personally I love the passion that LaMont had. I'm glad he spoke up and I'm glad we have a good radio team. LaVicka does a great job too. Look forward to hearing more of Ken during BBall season

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: