Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FEARLESS PREDICTIONS WEEK NINE FAU VS. FIU (SHULA BOWL IX)

Halloween is all about costumes, and mascots wear costumes, so here are my mascot themed Fearless Predictions for this week.

10/30 Western Kentucky vs. North Texas

WKU put an end to a 26 game skid with a 54-21 win last week against Louisiana (Lafayette). The Hilltoppers have turned a corner and they look to put together a nice little winning streak against the Mean Green of North Texas. Based on the intimidation factor possessed by their respective mascots this should be a pick-em game. Hilltoppers and Mean Green have never been mascot names that inspire fear in opponents. The Hilltopper mascot inspires even less fear when you see it. In fact, if anything it inspires a warm fuzzy feeling and an urge to start a tickle fight.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Mascots aside, WKU is on fire and I picked them last week so I will pick them again. They had gone 26 straight weeks prior to last week without tasting victory and now that the aftertaste lingers on the WKU campus don't expect them to let it go easily. Western Kentucky (Hill) tops UNT.

Fearless Prediction:
Western Kentucky 38
North Texas 27

Louisiana Monroe vs. Troy

Troy leads the SBC with a 3-0 conference record. ULM has a 2-2 record, but still holds onto the hopes of a winning season and possible bowl birth. ULM has averaged less than 16 points per game and they bring the baggage of a 38-10 loss to MTSU into their game against Troy. The Trojans average nearly 35 points per game including a 42-13 beating of MTSU. Troy will be too much for ULM and QB Cory Robinson will continue to put up big numbers for the 9th best passing team in the country. Unfortunately Troy doesn't have the mascot power to compete with ULM's Warhawk.

Fearless Prediction:
Troy 42
Louisiana Monroe 14

Louisiana (Lafayette) @ Ohio

Normally, I would not include this one, but since I am focusing on mascots I cannot resist a game that includes ULL and their Ragin Cajun. ULL represents the SBC with a 2-5 record and Ohio represents the MAC with a 5-3 record. The Bobcats win on the field, but Louisiana wins the sideline war with this:

Fearless Prediction:
Ohio 35
Louisiana (Lafayette) 24

Florida Atlantic vs. Florida International

The IX Annual Shula Bowl pits bitter rivals FAU and FIU in a battle for bragging rights. FAU is struggling this season while FIU has shown some signs of potential. The Golden Panthers are 2-0 in the SBC while the Owls are 0-3. FAU leads the series 7-1 with 4 consecutive wins against FIU. The Owls will look to continue the tradition on Saturday. This is going to be a tough one to pick. If the mascots have anything to say about this one FIU will win. However, I like the Owls to keep the streak alive.

Fearless Prediction:
Florida Atlantic 24
Florida International 21

All told, the SBC has some of the most unique and odd mascots in the country. Enjoy the mascots, and the football, on Saturday.

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: FEARLESS PREDICTIONS WEEK NINE FAU VS. FIU (SHULA BOWL IX)

22-14 FIU hate to do it but this team won't win another game all season

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Well, Digger is picking FIU, and so am I.
Here's how you beat FAU – put two guys on Lester Jean and blitz like hell. Pretty simple and effective.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/blog/2010/10/friday_prediction_post_fau_vs_8.html
Back to the top

That makes three…have to be objective.

FIU 24 FAU 17
Back to the top

I throw stats and records out the window when it comes to rivalry games. You guys still own this series, which gives you a big advantage, especially if you get some early breaks and the "here we go again" mentality sets in. I am hoping that we just run the ball all day and keep your offense on the sidelines.
FIU 31
FAU 21
Back to the top

FEARLESS PREDICTIONS WEEK NINE FAU VS. FIU (SHULA BOWL IX)

FIU 38

FAU 3

They will come in with a chip on thier shoulder for the last decade and we have no fight in us, dont play well at crunch time and cant stop anybody on defense.  Recipe for disaster, cant wait to spend my Saturday night crying.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Their D will have trouble with Housler.... FAU 26 FIU 24

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

eh. owls win by 6 in the upper 20's.

this season is just awful. can't wait for it to be over. i just hope nobody has career ending injury the rest of the season, that's the only thing you can hope for. I'm pretty sure either us or Akron are the worst teams in the country. That's pretty sad and pathetic.
Back to the top

I'm impressed Hooter Hater gave us 21 lol. I don't see us getting 3 TDs.

Only advantage we have is FIU has never played in the sand pit before

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

Their D will have trouble with Housler…. FAU 26 FIU 24

If this post was meant to be a joke, bravo.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: