Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Big East conference expansion mtg.

The BigEast conference will hold a meeting tomorrow regarding future expansion in football. See the links below for info;

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2010/11/big-east-presidents-to-meet-tuesday-reportedly-could-extend-invitations-by-end-of-football-season.html

Big East Looks 1,000 Miles West In Expansion Talks - Business Insider

Don't think we get invited to the BigEast any time soon (I wish) but it will probably open up slots in CUSA which we could be of prime interest to!

Go Owls!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

Re: Big East conference expansion mtg.

The only way our football team gets selected to go to a bigger conference right now us because of the man at the helm…you know, the guy you want fired.  ;)
Back to the top

I don't want him fired, I want him to get more involved and show more emotion at both the good and especially the bad he sees from his team.

I know without Howard, we don't have a team, a coming on-campus stadium and hopefully, a future in a better conference.

A move up to CUSA would seriously upgrade or schedule for better home attendance, and better recruiting. Of course we would have to upgrade there or become the new Memphis of CUSA.
Back to the top

I have long held the belief that if by some miracle we were invited to The Big East, that our recruiting would explode. I also think it would be good for their conference. Call me crazy.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

You always want to move up, thats the nature of things in life.  Our recruiting and facilities would improve.

The thing I think everyone misses is that it would still take us 8-10 years to bring us up to the consistent level of big east teams.  Not sure our fanbase is to a point where we can survive not being successful (although improving) in a BCS conference.

It will eventually be the thing to do and will happen.  For those that are fans during that era, it will not be pain-free. 
Back to the top

If the BigEast ads four to get to 12 teams, we don't get an invite unless others listed in the article turn them down. But when they finally go to the 16 team super-conference, we may get an invite then. But still, CUSA would be so much better than the Belt. More Bowl oportunities, more money, better opponents on the home schedule.
Back to the top

Sometimes I feel we are better off taking a smaller step up (CUSA) and then I think about what FAU has to offer the BIG EAST.

Selling Points for FAU

1. 30,000 Seat Stadium on campus.
2. Student enrollment estimated at 28,000 in 2010.
3. One of the fastest growing football programs in the country.
4. Well known and respected coach.
5. IN the Top 2 hotbeds for recruiting.
6. Great South Florida TV market.

The list goes on and on……

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

All terriffic points and why we have an ouside chance at a first expasion to 12 (again, if others decline) and, IMHO, a lock if they go to 16. And if they begin to expand, the dominos start to fall gain. Who would the ACC add to get to 16? Probably at least a couple from the BigEast, which further opens that door. Don't forget, USF was nothing, a poor CUSA team, when they got invited and took a huge step up to the BigEast. That move more about potential more than anything and they were invited even though it created a HUGE geographic gap in the conference. They are almost as far off geographically as La. Tech is in the WAC.
Back to the top

As much as our program has the problem is i feel like there is so many teams ahead of us. UCF ECU Southern Miss even MTSU just to name a few I feel we could sneak into c-usa  but after that we could be there for a while my hope would be after all this expansion i would they create some knew confrence with the lefterover C-USA schools and the stonger Sun-Belt schools(I'm hoping schools like Utep and Huston go to the MW I do not care to play a bunch of western schools)  I think we could create a nice solid little confrence simaler to C-Usa just not as spread out.
So could look a little like
FAU
FIU
Mtsu
Troy
Southern Miss
Tulane
Marshell ….etc

Back to the top

Big East conference expansion mtg.

I am always the optimist, but a week ago talk was how FAU was the worst team in the country and the sky was falling and now after 1 win all of a sudden talk turns to our chances of getting into the BIGEAST.

Funny how a win can change everything :D

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: