Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

One step forward, two steps back (UCF could be Sun Belt Bound)

One step forward, two steps back (UCF could be Sun Belt Bound)

By now, most of us have heard the rumors surrounding the Big East and UCF. But here's a rumor that just got started by Orlando Sentinel sports reporter and UCF beat writer, Mike Bianchi. (http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_bianchi/2010/11/should-ucf-join-big-east-in-football-only-no-way.html)

"If UCF were to join the Big East in football only,the result would be this: Conference USA would not want UCF without football, and UCF’s all-sports program would be forced to go back to the dark ages of playing in the Atlantic Sun or Sun Belt."
Back to the top

Re: One step forward, two steps back (UCF could be Sun Belt Bound)

Im like 90% sure that the SunBelt has a rule that if you school plays FBS football you must have it in the Confrence in order to have your other sports here as well.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Well, HIGHLY unlikely, but would provide a step up competition wise for the league, and also give us another Florida game...
Back to the top

Just asked on the 'Belt board about having to play Football in confrence if you want your other sports in.

Arkstfan, (who is the most knowledgable guy I know in regards to the confrence) stated….

"Yes. we have such a rule.

Would we change the rule or do some sort of hybrid special membership to get UCF as a bridge between FIU/FAU and the rest of the league? Got me. Depends on what the presidents and chancellors want to do. "

So I guess its something that COULD happen.

I wouldnt mind playing UCF at all. Easy to travel to and from.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Agree with all of you, that UCF most likely won't be joining the Belt in any capacity; however, since we are exploring the possibilities; how about this:

UCF football goes to the Big East and all other UCF athletics go to the Belt. This means there is now a spot available in C-USA for all sports programs.

C-USA would probably be interested in filling that void with another Florida University (FAU or FIU), and since the Belt already has an odd # of teams in football, the Sun Belt could afford to lose a football program within the conference, while maintaining the same # of teams in all other sports with the addition of UCF.
Back to the top

I feel like the Big east will take ECU and UCF. Thus opening 2 CUSA spots....Im like yall, I feel like CUSA will want to keep their hands in the FLA market (FAU or FIU). I also feel like CUSA would really look at TROY as the other replacement. TROY gets more recruits out of the state of Florida than any other school outside of FLA. TROY also has nice facilities (New Basketball arena is currently under construction and opens for the 2012 season). Only thing I could see hurting TROY would be the Market. Dothan/Montogomery.
Back to the top

I wouldn't mind going to the CUSA with Troy.
Back to the top

the big east doesn't want ECU or Memphis.

Back to the top

All this means is that UCF will most likely stay in CUSA. They are not going to make a move to the SBC.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Captain said

Agree with all of you, that UCF most likely won't be joining the Belt in any capacity; however, since we are exploring the possibilities; how about this:

UCF football goes to the Big East and all other UCF athletics go to the Belt. This means there is now a spot available in C-USA for all sports programs.

C-USA would probably be interested in filling that void with another Florida University (FAU or FIU), and since the Belt already has an odd # of teams in football, the Sun Belt could afford to lose a football program within the conference, while maintaining the same # of teams in all other sports with the addition of UCF.

I would think FIU has an advantage here because their soccer team is part of C-USA.
Back to the top
Control functions: