Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Thread: Lynn @ FAU Nov. 8th, 2010 - 7:00PM

Add topic

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Lynn (0-0, 0-0) @ FAU (0-0, 0-0)

When: Monday, Nov. 8th - 7:00PM EST

Where: FAU Arena

TV: None

Live Video: None

Internet Broadcast: Here

Live Stats: Gametracker if Available

Lynn University Team Site: Here

Probable Starters:

Lynn

G Rodney Kennedy
G Chris Hall
G Jimmy Gaskins
F Craig Brown
F Bo Jukic

FAU

G Dennis Mavin
G Alex Tucker
G Greg Gantt
F Kore White
F Brett Royster

Last Time Out

The Owls won last year's contest 78-59 at FAU Arena. Brett Royster led FAU with 20 points while Greg Gantt pitched in 18. Lynn was paced by Chris Hall's game high 25 points. The Fighting Knights shot a paltry 29.2% from the field, which was the difference, despite keeping a -2 rebounding effort in tact. Forward Michel Vidal hauled in a game high 11 boards.

Lynn at a Glance

Monday will mark the first action of the season for the Fighting Knights. Last season they finished 3rd in the Sunshine State Conference, where they are once again tabbed to place again in 2010-11.

A familiar face will make their way onto the hardwood at FAU Arena in Chris Watson, who played for the Owls in the 2008-2009 season and averaged 4.2 points and 3.7 rebounds in 32 games. After suffering a preseason injury prior the Owls' 2009-10 slate, Watson transferred to Lynn where he is currently an Aviation Major.

The Fighting Knights are an upperclassmen laiden team with five juniors and five seniors on the roster, to just three underclassmen (2 FR, 1 SO). They competed well from long range last season, connecting at a 38.6% success rate, but that could change with the recent addition of true freshman Craig Brown. Brown, a 6'6" 230lb forward, averaged 21 ppg as a senior at North Miami Beach Senior High School. He is expected to provide an inside presence in 2010-11.

Vidal (11.5 rpg, 1st SSC) was tabbed Defensive Player of the Year in the Sunshine State Conference last season, while Hall (19.8 ppg, 3rd SSC) was named to the first team.

FAU at a Glance

The Owls are stinging from last Thursday's exhibition loss to Northwood University in which the iron was very unkind at 2-of-25 from long range.

"The only time that you lose is when you don't learn. If we don't learn from (tonight) then tonight was a loss. If we learn, then it was a victory", said Coach Mike Jarvis.

They will look to apply a number of changes, hopefully.

Enough said.

Latest Line:

N/A

Owl's Nest Prediction

Two things need to happen right away: shooting from long range must improve, and defense on the perimeter must get better.

Kore White, who had a game high 14 rebounds against Northwood, will help give FAU a more solidified advantage on the backboard this time around, but Lynn returns its top grabber in Vidal.

Additionally, having a quick 6'6", 230 lb small forward to deal with in Brown is something to be concerned about. The wing creates a mismatch given his size. Will be interesting to see how the Owls defend him, setting up a preview for later opponents, especially in non conference action.

Gantt was streaky at times last season, and had an off night last Thursday. Would expect him to return to form, with passion, and knock down a run of shots.

Ray Taylor is listed as "not likely" for the game.

Regardless, Owls roll in this one.

FAU -8+
Back to the top

Re: Exhibition Preview: Lynn @ FAU Nov. 8th, 2010 - 7:00PM

E-mail from Coach:

Dear Students,

You brought the “Burrow” to life last Thursday in an overtime thriller. We came up short in that game but I assure you the loss showed our shortcoming and things that we need to correct prior to our regular-season opener. We will have one more tune-up and that is against our cross-town rival Lynn University. The women will begin the night with a game scheduled for 5 p.m. Our game will follow at 7 p.m. We are in the final stages of our preseason preparation are you prepared for fun and dynamic basketball seasons?

See you tonight at the “Burrow”.

Coach Jarvis

I get the feeling he wants the Burrow to be something special this year. I've always thought that we could have one of the toughest places to play in the SBC just because our arena is so small. I think that if we're are contending for the title near the end of the season and have a decent OOC game or two (beating USF/a good game with UF) that the last couple games could be sold out. Go Owls!

Oh ya, about tonight's game…I think we'll be fine. Thursday's game exposed us and I have faith our players will come out strong and put this one away early.
Back to the top

Any word on when Taylor will be "likely"?  Hopefully by the first real game?
Back to the top

Any word on when Taylor will be "likely"?  Hopefully by the first real game?

Why is Taylor suspended? 
Back to the top

FAU said

Why is Taylor suspended?

"Violation of team rules"

Darren Stewart for the same reason…
Back to the top

Game Thread: Lynn @ FAU Nov. 8th, 2010 - 7:00PM

Its been a LONG time since I played basketball or watched it but….

I could of SWORN there was a position called the CENTER? Why do neither we nor Lynn have one of these?

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

We have a center - Justin Davis…

In the SBC it's not too common though…too hard to find quality at that spot.

"They become liabilities, big stiffs."

- Jarvis
Back to the top

Re: Game Thread: Lynn @ FAU Nov. 8th, 2010 - 7:00PM

19:30 from tip-off…

No sign of the Dirty Birds.

>:(

Back to the top

Re: Game Thread: Lynn @ FAU Nov. 8th, 2010 - 7:00PM

Rick said

19:30 from tip-off…

No sign of the Dirty Birds.