Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

WAC Realignment

Sources: Denver University, Texas-San Antonio and Texas State to join WAC - ESPN

The University of Denver, Texas-San Antonio and Texas State will join the WAC in 2012-13 to offset the departures of Boise State, Fresno State and Nevada to the Mountain West, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

UTSA, which still needs official approval from the board of regents, and Texas State will join in all sports. Denver will join for all sports except for football, since the Pioneers don't play at the FBS level.

The WAC will have eight football members, nine for men's and women's basketball. The WAC would have had six members in 2012-13 if nothing had been done, with Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, Idaho, New Mexico State, Utah State and San Jose State.

An announcement is expected from the WAC on Thursday.

Montana could also join the WAC in all sports, especially if the Grizzlies decide to bump up from FCS to FBS in football. Montana, a FCS power, is expected to make a decision in the next few weeks. If the Grizzlies decide against the move then Seattle would likely step in with all sports except football.

The WAC's perfect scenario, according to multiple sources, is to get to nine football schools, including Montana, and 10 basketball schools.

UTSA will start its football program as an FCS independent in 2011. UTSA won't be in the Southland Conference in football that season. UTSA is then expected to make the jump to FBS football in 2012. UTSA will play in the Alamo Dome, home to the Alamo Bowl.

Texas State and UTSA will leave the Southland Conference and pay an estimated exit fee of $250,000 per school. Denver, which has been in the Sun Belt since 1999-2000, won't have a penalty for leaving, according to sources.

The WAC's automatic berth to the NCAA tournament wasn't in jeopardy since the league had until 2014 to get to seven members.

The WAC was prepared to add BYU to its membership for all sports except football in late August before the MWC's invitation to Fresno State and Nevada blocked the move. BYU went independent in football but then chose to put the rest of its sports in the WCC.

Fresno State and Nevada wanted to leave the WAC next season but struck a deal to stay until June 30, 2012, in exchange for paying a lower exit fee of $900,000 per school.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Re: WAC Realignment

Congrats to UTSA, our neighborhood public school!

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Thank God!

I am so sick of that trip to Denver, and I dont even go!

They are like on thier own little Island…

;D
Back to the top

But it's a very nice little island….folks here are very pleased to be getting back with Western schools (plus Texas) rather than SE schools. Meanwhile, as I understand things, the basketball Owls will make a couple more visits to test the mile-high air.
Back to the top

grayowl said

But it's a very nice little island….folks here are very pleased to be getting back with Western schools (plus Texas) rather than SE schools. Meanwhile, as I understand things, the basketball Owls will make a couple more visits to test the mile-high air.

I know, I know…

Just being selfish since the game's don't start until 9:00 at night…….

It is a nice place :)
Back to the top

Texas-San Antonio
Texas State
Hawaii
Louisiana Tech
Idaho
New Mexico State
Utah State
San Jose State

Denver* non-football

Looks like the SBC just graduated, no longer the FBS whipping post.

Back to the top

NCowl said

Texas-San Antonio
Texas State
Hawaii
Louisiana Tech
Idaho
New Mexico State
Utah State
San Jose State

Denver* non-football

Don't underestimate UTSA.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

NCowl said

Texas-San Antonio
Texas State
Hawaii
Louisiana Tech
Idaho
New Mexico State
Utah State
San Jose State

Denver* non-football

Don't underestimate UTSA.

I think they said the same thing about WKU
Back to the top

I heard a rumor that Southern Utah was also being considered as a team to move up from FCS to join the WAC.

I hate to say it, but that conference to going to be so watered down in football. Look how much WKU has struggled with the move from FCS. Add 2,3, or 4 teams from FCS to the WAC and it will be pathetic.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

WAC Realignment

Really lame for the beginning but thoses two Texas schools will have the chance in five years to DOMINATE that conference.

Not sorry to loses Denver either, way out of the way in terms of travel. A small time conference geographically stretching from the Atlantic Ocean to the Rocky Mountaind was just rediculous!
Back to the top
Control functions: