Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Nearly 2,000 UP Papers Trashed...

Add topic

Here we go again…….

"After a mostly crime-free semester, the thieves are suddenly back en masse within collegemediatopia.  Earlier this week, close to 2,000 copies of the current issue of The University Press at Florida Atlantic University were grabbed from newsstands across campus and tossed in the trash."

Link
Back to the top

Re: Nearly 2,000 UP Papers Trashed...

I dont even see why they print so many copies…its a waste of money I say focus on the viral aspect and print less copies that would end this problem. 
Back to the top

Well, the only way people read this crap the school calls is a newspaper is via hard copy. No one is going out of their way to see what new nonsense the UP has to write. Putting the bins conveniently around school is a much better idea for them than just posting it online.
Back to the top

nextdoorSTB said

Well, the only way people read this crap the school calls is a newspaper is via hard copy. No one is going out of their way to see what new nonsense the UP has to write. Putting the bins conveniently around school is a much better idea for them than just posting it online.
If people want to read about school stuff they can go online and view it, I find it to be more efficient use of funds opposed to literally throwing it away, plus Im not saying do away with the newspaper but do we really need nearly 4000 copies?
Back to the top

Nearly 2,000 UP Papers Trashed...

owlmart said

I dont even see why they print so many copies…its a waste of money I say focus on the viral aspect and print less copies that would end this problem.

It is not a waste of money if the copies are being read.  It is basic supply and demand.  If they know 4000 copies are being read, then that number dictates the advertising costs to advertisers.  There is money in that, no matter what the number may be.

As with everything, it is not always about the end product, it is about what advertisers are willing to pay and what they expect in return for the money.  If putting out x number of papers is what generates a certain amount of dollars then so be it. 
Back to the top

The most troublesome part about this is the implication that, if the issues were trashed due to the content exposing a faculty member and the dean, then it wasn't drunk freshmen doing this - it was members of our academic community.

Back to the top

fauowl said

owlmart said

It is not a waste of money if the copies are being read.  It is basic supply and demand.  If they know 4000 copies are being read, then that number dictates the advertising costs to advertisers.  There is money in that, no matter what the number may be.

As with everything, it is not always about the end product, it is about what advertisers are willing to pay and what they expect in return for the money.  If putting out x number of papers is what generates a certain amount of dollars then so be it.
If they are being stolen, then they are not being read. 
Back to the top

owlmart said

If they are being stolen, then they are not being read.

I was arguing the need to print so many copies from a business perspective, not because of a couple episodes of thievery.
Back to the top

I actually saw the paper at 620-SUBS today…so they distribute off campus as least there…

They couldn't get to those!
Back to the top

Rick said

I actually saw the paper at 620-SUBS today…so they distribute off campus as least there…

In a bin or just in a pile by the register?
Back to the top
Control functions: