Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Hypothetical - Beat Texas or Go Bowling?

Would you rather beat Texas or beat Troy & MTSU and go Bowling?

Beat Texas / No Bowl
Go Bowling

You must select between 1 and 30 options

$mitty posted this question in another thread, I think it is a great poll question. Obviously it is hypothetical because a crappy texas team is still ahead of us, but any given Saturday, anything is possible. So what would you rather have happen?
Back to the top

Re: Hypothetical - Beat Texas or Go Bowling?

Hypothetical - Beat Texas or Go Bowling?

Rather beat Texas. Winning bowl games vs. bottom feeders of C-USA/MAC hasn't done much for us in terms of recruiting. There's like 100 different bowl games, so winning one of the crappier ones isn't that impressive if I'm a recruit. If you can tell recruits we beat Texas IN Texas I think they'd be more impressed with that.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Without a doubt, going to a bowl would be better.  Bowl teams get to practice an extra month.  It pays huge dividends toward the next year.  I don't care what bowl it is, it makes a difference.

I disagree on the bowls have meant nothing to recruiting.  Go ask the players that picked FAU over FIU.  If you think our recruiting is not where it should be, without bowls it would be even worse.  Bowls (and new facilities) are huge!

That being said, I think Texas at their worst will be better than us at our best (this year).
Back to the top

fauowl said

Without a doubt, going to a bowl would be better.  Bowl teams get to practice an extra month.  It pays huge dividends toward the next year.  I don't care what bowl it is, it makes a difference.

I disagree on the bowls have meant nothing to recruiting.  Go ask the players that picked FAU over FIU.  If you think our recruiting is not where it should be, without bowls it would be even worse.  Bowls (and new facilities) are huge!

That being said, I think Texas at their worst will be better than us at our best (this year).

FIU has 1 loss in conference yes I know it was to us. If some of the guys we have on this team picked us over FIU because of our bowl wins, well then no offense to them I think they should have chose FIU. We are not a good team and probably wont be next year either. We will have a brand new QB with no game experience and all new WR's with limited game experience. All new TE with limited game experience.

If there weren't as many bowl games as there are and we made one that's more impressive, but the fact that all you need is 6 wins to get a bowl game and you struggle to do that in the worst conference in FBS that's not really impressive. Beating a historic Texas team IN Texas now THAT'S impressive!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

If there weren't as many bowl games as there are and we made one that's more impressive, but the fact that all you need is 6 wins to get a bowl game and you struggle to do that in the worst conference in FBS that's not really impressive. Beating a historic Texas team IN Texas now THAT'S impressive!

I agree with you from a fan's perspective.  From a football team perspective, the extra work that goes along with going to a bowl (no matter what crappy bowl it is) is invaluable to any team for development.  There are way too many bowls, but being one of the 50 teams that get left out is not a good thing at all.
Back to the top

I would love to beat Texas, but there is way too much free marketing with a bowl invite. I hope that in the near future we will be able to compete againts these teams, but for a young up and coming program like ours, we need all the exposure we can get. 
Back to the top

FAU said

I would love to beat Texas, but there is way too much free marketing with a bowl invite. I hope that in the near future we will be able to compete againts these teams, but for a young up and coming program like ours, we need all the exposure we can get.

It would be free marketing if we were to beat texas too because it would be all over ESPN.

I personally would have to take the Texas win despite it being a down year for them, and as much as I would love for the owls in a bowl game, a big win against a BIG 12 team is better than a win over a CUSA or MAC team in a bowl, IMHO.
Back to the top

NCowl said

It would be free marketing if we were to beat texas too because it would be all over ESPN.

As an Owl fan, we would enjoy it for a long time.  As a regular college football fan throughout the country, it would be a big deal for about 5 minutes and then everyone will say Texas was a horrible team this year and that's the only reason we beat them.

A bowl bid is talked about for a month with scrolls on ESPN and newspaper and internet coverage.
Back to the top

Bowling!
Back to the top

We've got to go into this game as if it IS OUR BOWL GAME. If we beat MTSU and Troy, then we are 6-6 and BOWL ELIGIBLE. No guarantee for a bowl (although we'll probably get an invite).

THIS IS OUR BOWL GAME. Beat Texas!

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: