Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Mo Money, Mo problems

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fl-fau-texas-money-game-1116-20101115,0,6189015.story

While FAU would like to cut back on the amount of money games it plays each season to boost its chances of becoming bowl eligible, the Owls will have to play more of them to help pay for the new on-campus stadium that will open next season.

FAU's Athletic Department had to commit $1 million per year to the new $70 million stadium, and the easiest way to cover that expense is to play an extra money game, according to Athletic Director Craig Angelos.

Angelos is negotiating with several SEC schools, including Alabama, since those schools usually pay the most.

Next year FAU plays Florida, Auburn and Michigan State, and Angelos is still putting together the 2012 schedule, but expects to have three money games.

Since 2005 FAU is 0-17 in road money games, but the players like participating in them.

Back to the top

Re: Mo Money, Mo problems

We need to go the FIU route and start playing mediocre BCS teams that pay.  Lets play Miami and schools like that :)

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Mo Money, Mo problems

walty12 said

We need to go the FIU route and start playing mediocre BCS teams that pay.  Lets play Miami and schools like that :)

1-It warms my heart when people mention the words "mediocre" and "Miami" in the same sentence.
2-Im not so sure that Miami would be a big pay day. Maybe if we played them for a season opener.

Build Tradition
Tell someone "GO OWLS!"
Back to the top

walty12 said

We are already scheduled to play @ Navy in 2012. @ Alabama seems like it will happen in 2012. Probably host a C-USA team like Tulane in 2012. And finish with another SEC school like Georgia or Kentucky. Vanderbilt would be winnable, but not sure if they would pay as high as UGA or UK.

Miami is booked until 2013.
Back to the top

BocaCoop said

walty12 said

1-It warms my heart when people mention the words "mediocre" and "Miami" in the same sentence.
2-Im not so sure that Miami would be a big pay day. Maybe if we played them for a season opener.

Pretty sure that Miami wanted to play us in 08, but only wanted to pay like 500K. South Carolina Offered 800K+ so we went with that.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I recommend USC again, or Clemson, or UNC, NC St, or Wake Forest
;)
Back to the top

wouldn't an extra home game against a team that could travel well (USF, UCF, FAMU, etc) bring in pretty good money as well?
Back to the top

I just like that the money games boost our national recognition.  The more people talk about our program, the better.
Back to the top

owlmart said

wouldn't an extra home game against a team that could travel well (USF, UCF, FAMU, etc) bring in pretty good money as well?

Yes but not enough to offset the "bodybag" game.

We MIGHT have a sell out for those games but probably not. USF travelled real well to lockhart that year but they were also ranked #6 at the time of our game.

Figure an average of 28 dollars per ticket and capaxity of 33,000.00

28 x 33,000= $924,000

But the 28 is probably high (due to students getting in free and other discounts) and you have no gurantee of a sellout. 900-1000K in the bank gurantee is a safer bet financially wise.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I talked about this in my Ethics in Sports class I'm taking for my doctorate. I argued that while "body bag" games are good for the budget, it's not good in the longrun because you start the year off (usually) with an 0-2 or 0-3 record. Instead, you can have one "body bag" game, and then play two equal-level opponents (in FAU's case, UAB), and come out with a 2-1 or 1-2 record, and be ready for conference play. In a program like ours that isn't contending for a national title, unless we are very competitive and win our conference year-in and year-out, needing the magic 6-wins-number to be bowl eligible is key for national recognition and an extra paycheck at the end of the year.

However, I see the other side as well and the need to balance the budget.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: