Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU philosophy professor sues school for discrimination

Add topic

FAU professor Carol S. Gould is alleging that FAU exhibited ageism and anti-Semitism, and denied her rights to equal pay; amongst other allegations.

Gould makes $73,000 annually.

"The university denies any wrongdoing and will vigorously defend the lawsuit," said FAU spokeswoman Kristine Gobbo.

Sun Sentinel Report

Back to the top

Re: FAU philosophy professor sues school for discrimination

Rick said

FAU professor Carol S. Gould is alleging that FAU exhibited ageism and anti-Semitism, and denied her rights to equal pay; amongst other allegations.

"The university denies any wrongdoing and will vigorously defend the lawsuit," said FAU spokeswoman Kristine Gobbo.

Sun Sentinel Report

I took her class…for what she does she should be happy with 73k
Back to the top

owlmart said

Rick said

FAU professor Carol S. Gould is alleging that FAU exhibited ageism and antisemitism, and denied her rights to equal pay; amongst other allegations.

Sun Sentinel Report

Love my school, and support it in every way…but can never get passed how some professors, who don't live in a true market economy, think they are entitled to compensation that is simply unvalidated…try making a living outside of academia ("tax and spend" driven) and see how the skill set pays - it doesn't.
Back to the top

Rick said

owlmart said

Rick said

FAU professor Carol S. Gould is alleging that FAU exhibited ageism and antisemitism, and denied her rights to equal pay; amongst other allegations.

Sun Sentinel Report

Love my school, and support it in every way…but can never get passed how some professors, who don't live in a true market economy, think they are entitled to compensation that is simply unvalidated…try making a living outside of academia ("tax and spend" driven) and see how the skill set pays - it doesn't.

Agree, if I had to hear about how the money for the stadium should have went to the professors one more time…

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

FAU philosophy professor sues school for discrimination

The answer is most of them couldn't.  I really think that before anyone becomes a teacher or a government employee, they need to spend several years working in the private sector.  Most of these people have never been outside of academia and have no idea how decisions that they whimsically make effect the rest of us out here in the real world. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Rick said

owlmart said

Rick said

Sun Sentinel Report

Gotta be the only job where you can come in 15 minutes late to every class because 'the line for coffee was long' and have someone else (TA's) grade all the work/test/papers and all you do is talk for 2 hrs a day 4 days a week and can complain that 73k is not enough.  If she was not happy she could of taken her philosophy degree in the real world
Back to the top

owlmart said

Rick said

owlmart said

Rick said

Sun Sentinel Report

Gotta be the only job where you can come in 15 minutes late to every class because 'the line for coffee was long' and have someone else (TA's) grade all the work/test/papers and all you do is talk for 2 hrs a day 4 days a week and can complain that 73k is not enough.  If she was not happy she could of taken her philosophy degree in the real world

15 minutes?!?  The summer I took her class it was usually 30 minutes, followed by 30 minutes of telling us how much we're horrible students and things where different at SUNY.  Oh to be tenured  ::)

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

Never took this lady's class and it sounds like a cultural issue to me. I know this dean came into FAU on the run from pitchforks at his last school. Just another ugly media story for FAU. We should be almost numb to this by now.

Rick said

but can never get passed how some professors, who don't live in a true market economy, think they are entitled to compensation that is simply unvalidated…try making a living outside of academia ("tax and spend" driven) and see how the skill set pays - it doesn't.

What would validate her skill set, really? So she couldn't cut it in construction, in a hospital, or running a bank. She's in academia because it does pay for her skill set and some schools pay more for the same skill set.

Unfortunately, this is a continual problem at FAU. If you look at our professor salaries versus peer institutions, even within the state, almost all of our professors are being underpaid in comparison to their colleagues.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

What would validate her skill set, really? So she couldn't cut it in construction, in a hospital, or running a bank. She's in academia because it does pay for her skill set and some schools pay more for the same skill set.

Showing that $73,000 invested on her is yielding a fair return in quantifiable revenue returns…
Back to the top

If you go by that you could multiply the number of students taking her class x's tuition for 3 credit hours (taking into consideration the number of classes she teaches and how many semesters she teaches a year) at FAU and you have that return (ofcourse you have to add additional costs besides salary, like benefits her use of school facilities, etc) for a true analysis of what FAU makes in profit from her.  Really, I don't want to go into the merits of her case or not, but I think its a shame that we have to run down academia and professors at our Universities.  First, education is an industry.  She is in fact competing with other professors to maintain her job and FAU is competing with other universities to hire and retain the best professors possible.  That is their market place and it is a very competitive (from the perspective of both the employee and employer) one at that.  Second, FAU, I think, (and for sure FIU) underpays in the market palce when it comes to professors.  FIU has seen an increase in pay for its professors, but I think this is directly related to the hiring of medical school faculty which come at a higher price tag.  The fact is, the better the professors, the better the learning experience, the more succesful the alumni is professionally and the more that alumni will donate/feel connected to their university.  I know I had several professors who pushed me during school and encourage me later on to support and donate to FIU.  To this day, their contribution to FIU wasn't just in getting my tuition, but also in creating loyalty and subsequent donations to the school.

Rick said

owlcountry said

Showing that $73,000 invested on her is yielding a fair return in quantifiable revenue returns…
Back to the top
Control functions: