Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Week Thread: FAU @ Texas - 11/20/10 @ 3:30 p.m.

Add topic

Re: Game Week Thread: FAU @ Texas - 11/20/10 @ 3:30 p.m.

I reached out to him and hopefully will be able to meet up with him before the game for a burger or brew. It's great to see alumni going public so-to-speak. Today to class I wore an FAU sweatshirt and found out that one of my students are going to the game with an FAU alumna, who is one of his clients.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Florida's Growing Pains Hardly Straining State's Big Three

They're growing a bumper crop in Florida these days, and we're not talking oranges.

South Florida hitched its wagon to the Big East and instantly became BCS-worthy. Central Florida leads the East Division of Conference USA and was ranked as recently as a week ago before falling out of the polls. Florida Atlantic and Florida International — the pride of the Sun Belt — play meat-grinder schedules to pay the bills, this week's 4-6 opponent Texas notwithstanding for FAU.

Meanwhile, Florida, Florida State and Miami have barely noticed.

Oh, they recognize the four new state schools that have opened their doors — two of them started football programs in the last decade or so — invited in huge enrollments, built or are building on-campus stadiums, except USF, and suited up football squads that can even reach and win bowl games.

Their impact on their big brothers?

Negligible.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Back to the top

Back to the top

dusky256fc said

I have confirmed that it is on ATT U Verse on Channel 1720 in high def.

For those with ATT & T U Verse the game has been moved to channel 1695.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I have Fox Sports Florida on Direct TV but the game is not showing up on the schedule. I hope its on there. It is showing up on the schedule for Fox Sports Southwest

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

dusky256fc said

Rick said

dusky256fc said

I have confirmed that it is on ATT U Verse on Channel 1720 in high def.

Any Comcast info??

Can anyone confirm if Fox Sports Florida is available on Comcast, I am trying to make plans for Saturday  and am trying to determine if I need to be home at 3:30.

FSN is channel 37; channel 401 in HD on digital cable
Cool, owls in HD
Back to the top

owlfamily said

I have Fox Sports Florida on Direct TV but the game is not showing up on the schedule. I hope its on there. It is showing up on the schedule for Fox Sports Southwest

Yeah, same here with Directv…channel 677.
Back to the top

Game Week Thread: FAU @ Texas - 11/20/10 @ 3:30 p.m.

Rick said

Hmmm…

Quiet before the storm, or just lost Hope and interest?

I'm a Texas ex-pat and yes this season is painful for the Longhorn fan base.  We've gotten quite spoiled in years past, with superb talent, great field leadership, and a terrific recruiter at the helm (Mack).  We've overcome 13 years of TERRIBLE offensive play calling by Greg Davis.  It just so happened, that the golden boy recruit at QB, while talented and an NFL prototype, has no leadership ability, no heart, and definitely no command of the field.  His college career is likely over if we can get the younger McCoy 25 LBS heavier over the off season.  The kid must have been a late bloomer or something for the coaches to not be willing to even give him a few snaps, and they are saying he's not ready, but ready or not, Gilbert can't get it done, and the offense doesn't believe in him.  Through the first few games we didn't know how bad he was, but when combined with a completely benign offensive strategy, and I use the word strategy very liberally, the defense which was playing strong has given up.

Gilbert has terrific arm strength, some short range precision, but no field of vision, and in high school he was a man among boys, but now he's playing against next level talent, and he's been found wanting.  He lacks any concept of the word "touch", the receivers need to catch more of the balls, but you can't throw rockets into traffic with young receivers and not have deflected balls for turnovers, or simply too hot to catch.  He's not a leader and the rest of the team knows that, and they are disheartened at the lack of ingenuity, and failure to rotate someone else in to the QB slot that might give them some hope.  Greg Davis has been so damned lucky that he has a job and that Mack has been so successful and I presume very lucky at times to get the field generals we have had over his tenure.  Without those, Davis would have long been exposed and booted and there would be nothing Mack could do about it, but we did win despite his lack of ability, and Mack's blind loyalty.  Now, with the team in complete disarray, and obviously checked out Mack Brown, and the same ole Greg Davis at the helm, we are on our way to our first losing season in 13 years, and quite frankly, I see no reason why this isn't an even match up as our usual superior talent simply isn't there, our defense has given up, and the Owl's have something to play for where we don't.

We might win today, but I'd taken even money that it goes the Owl's way.  A&M is going to stomp us next week and the pain will be over for the season, and the announcement will be made that either Mack is retiring, he's going to the AD spot, or that he's firing a number of offensive coaches.  There's no way Davis survives this, and Mack could certainly buy another two year before he's run out of town, but looking at our club, I'd say we need some really great coaching changes, some younger players to step up, McCoy putting on enough weight to take over at QB, and a running back, or we are looking at a complete collapse of our program with a 10 year turn around, or we make swift and brutal changes and fix this within 2 years.

Anyway, take heart Owl fans, as if you win today, yes, the media will play it down because Texas is so bad this year, but we are still Texas, and that's still DKR memorial field, and you have a very real opportunity to take home a once in a lifetime marquis win.  I'm still pulling for my boys to find some fire, but it's really really tough when I see no adjustments being made in the offensive scheme, nor are they allowing anyone else to take snaps.

Good luck today, and if you win, you deserve it.  Texas is playing for the only thing it has a chance to salvage, and that's some modicum of pride.  We lose these next two games, and the Longhorn faithful have a very long and painful next few years in front of us.  If we can salvage cross the 500 mark, and beat an former SWC rival to finish this awful season, we might find our heart and turn this thing around in 2 years.  Either way, I can't see how Davis and much of the offensive staff are keeping their jobs. It's the very least they could do for the Longhorn contributors that have been screaming for Davis's head even when we were winning 10 win seasons.  We should have been much more powerful as an offense over the past years, but great talent and heart can only take you so far, the play calling and strategy has to be delivered from the box, and that's not happening.  I've got no read on our current offensive talent, or if we really have any next level talent on the field (offense).  I'm not sure if our receivers are as bad as our QB, or if they've just caught a case of defeatism because they don't believe in him.  What ever the problem is, it's pan-organizational, and it's seeped in to every tiny corner of the program, and we need to overhaul that belief system, but you can only do that two ways.  One, a new crop of GREAT players and play makers with a strong leader under center, or a new coaching staff with some key player changes.  Either way, we need a QB that's more than a strong arm.  I will take heart and vision over talent every day and twice on Sunday and it would appear that our offense has neither of the attributes that make a great winning program.

Good luck FAU.  I don't think you'll need it, but I wish you well anyway.

Crying Burnt Orange Tears,

40Acres
Back to the top
Control functions: