Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls Bullied by Longhorns

Turnovers prove costly in 51-17 loss to Texas

Florida Atlantic hung around for a while, but too many errors led to a 51-17 beating by the University of Texas Saturday afternoon.

“At game’s end, it was obvious that The University of Texas is a better football team than we are,” FAU head coach Howard Schnellenberger said after the loss.

The Longhorns, who entered the game on a five-game losing streak, set the tempo early in the contest, showing that they wanted to run the ball with Cody Johnson and play a physical type of football game. They did just that with 259 yards and a season high 522 yards against the FAU defense.

“We didn’t make the big plays when we needed to", linebacker Michael Lockley said. "We had chances on offense and defense, and we let them get too much yardage."

The Owls had an answer early for Johnson, holding the Longhorns on a goal-line stand, and looking like they were ready to compete.

“We felt like we had them and we had no doubt about it because we are used to stopping people on the goal line. We were ready and coach trained us to do that, and it pumped us up a lot,” linebacker David Hinds said.

However, the momentum couldn’t carry over to the offensive side of the ball, as quarterback Jeff Van Camp tossed an interception on the team’s first drive. Texas capitalized on the turnover and punched the ball in from one-yard out to take an early 7-0 lead.

Full Story
Back to the top

Re: Owls Bullied by Longhorns

God I hate Texas and their whole athletic department. I was following the entire game on espn. I should mention that my younger cousin is going to FAU which is why they have become my second favorite team. Good luck winning out and getting your 3rd bowl bid in 4 years.
Back to the top

Owls Bullied by Longhorns

TbG - welcome and great to have a new Owls fan - we need all we can get. Owls fought hard but that early pick really hurt the D and the tone of the game - but still had our chances - close enough through 3 but then....
Back to the top

Was there for the 2nd time in 3 years; at least we made it much more of a game this time around.  Other than the game's outcome the trip to Austin was enjoyable.  Always is.
Back to the top

I didn't get to watch the game, but was being updated on my phone.  Scorewise, I was very impressed with the way we kept with the horns, but obviously things were not so good if you were watching it.  Still, we hung for 3 qtrs, and the score differential was slightly better than the last time.  That 4th qtr was brutal though.

But, on to MTSU.  GO OWLS!

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: