Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Gators Outmuscle Owls; Jarvis Pleased with Effort

Add topic

Gantt, Mavin combine for 27 points in homecoming

The Owls battled hard against the #16 Gators until foul trouble played its hand in a 79-66 loss tonight at the O’Connell Center in Gainesville.

“We basically played as hard as we could for forty (minutes)”, said head coach Mike Jarvis afterwards. “I think the team is going to continue to improve, and a game like tonight should help us a lot.”

Coming into the game, Florida Atlantic (3-3) knew it had to have a big performance from its frontcourt and saw glimpses of that in Kore White’s 12 points, and five rebounds.

But he joined Brett Royster with his fifth foul with just under 5:00 minutes to play, leaving the Owls to finish wounded, as Florida pulled away down the stretch.

Full Story

Back to the top

Re: Gators Outmuscle Owls; Jarvis Pleased with Effort

Gators Outmuscle Owls; Jarvis Pleased with Effort

This is a big improvement over some of the 90-45 scores of the past against ranked teams.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

FAU played very well, I think. This is definitely the most talented team we've had in years.

The fouls hurt, yeah, but this game was close: UF was only ever up by 4 at most in the first half, then up by 6-8 on average in the second. We weren't getting blown out. That bodes well for some of our other non-conf games like USF.

- Ray Taylor had an off night. Hate to say it but UF really capitalized on Ray's missed threes in the second half and that's how we went from being behind by 2-4 to being behind by 6-8. In his defense, we weren't having a lot of luck under the basket so it's no surprise he took open shots from so far away.
- Dennis Mavin is a beast; great, great pickup. This kid will be one of the best players on our team.
- McCoy should not be in the game - he adds nothing to it except fouls just like last year. I know he's trying and everything but…
- Kore White delivers in all the ways we hoped DeMonte Simpson, Justin Davis and Sammy Hernandez would. He's the real deal. Second Coming of C-Los? He's probably faster than Monroe was.
- Gantt can dunk. Wished I could see more of that.
- What's wrong with Richardson? Ankle or something, right? He didn't play tonight :(
- Tucker was a lock on sinking shots from the charity stripe. Good work Alex!
- Royster is going to foul out. That's what happens when you're the team's most aggressive shot blocker.

Overall, this is one loss we can be proud of. We played well. They just played a little better.

Back to the top

I agree with alot of what you said owlcountry, however…

-McCoy has given us solid minutes all year long and has greatly improved over last year on offense and on defense. Just look at his offensive numbers, plus he always seems to be around to snag a key rebound or loose ball.
-Kore White is NOWHERE near Carlos Monroe, he doesn't take up enough space under the rim and teams are getting too many easy rebounds. Carlos was a double-double guy every night. And more got most, if not all his points and rebounds in the paint, unlike White who I think favors a jumpshot rather than posting up. Not saying I don't like Kore at all, he adds a completely different aspect that I'm not sure we've had before which is a big man that can shoot. However at this time we don't need a big man that can shoot from the outside, we need a big man that's going to rebound and be a force in the paint-which White is not, at least right now.
-I could be wrong, but hasn't Royster usually been pretty good about not fouling out? I know he's fouled out once or twice this year, but I also think that's because he's not the team's most aggressive shot blocker, he IS the team's shot blocker. Especially when White isn't in to help down low.
-Tucker is having a phenomanal year. He's been fantastic on both sides of the ball and is a real leader on the team.

Overall this team showed tonight that it will not give up. I feel like we are really, really close to becoming a GREAT team. If we can only get our bigs to play…bigger, we'd be a FORCE to be reckoned with not only in the SBC but in our OOC games as well.

Anyways, great game, I think more would agree that the score was not indicative on just how close the game was for so long.
GO OWLS

Back to the top

McCoy has really grown up over the last year, he looks bigger and he's playing better…I don't think he's ever going to be our best player, but he's contributing more this year than last
I'm starting to like Kore's offensive abilities, shots from the top of the key, the 12ft jumper, sky hook, he needs just a bit of polish but I think he's going to be a good scorer for us. He is not banging down low like Los, but I think Carlos had 25lbs on him.
Denis Mavin is so fast! True freshman, and the guy looked mature and composed on the floor last night, he brings a different look from Ray.
What's going on with Ray? Mavin has been starting in his place all season.
Back to the top
Control functions: