Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Day Thread: FAU @ Texas - 11/20/10 @ 3:30 p.m.

Add topic

Re: Game Day Thread: FAU @ Texas - 11/20/10 @ 3:30 p.m.

Nissanfan84 said

I couldn't watch anymore after that last TD…  At least we bring $900,000 home :)

Yup turned it off myself.

A 'Belt team HAS to play perfectly to beat a team like Texas even in a down year and we certainly didnt do that today.

But I saw a team come out and play today. And that gives me hope for the remaining games against Troy and MTSU.

Oh yeah, plus we got 900K   ;D

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Final FAU falls 51-17 to Texas…
Back to the top

Again, I've got to say this is still one of my favorite away game trips, the fans are really friendly and I had the pleasure of sitting with some very knowledgeable folks in the seats I was able to score.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

On more than one occasion I had people tell us that the score doesn't really show what that game was like, and they were all pretty nervous up through the 3rd quarter. Granted most of the people were saying, "I can't believe we are probably going to lose to Florida Atlantic" (their fan base is dejected). We were just a few plays away from really being in that game. I think some of the play calling really hurt us as well. To watch the final stand in the half with our prevent d being played for 5 straight downs was gut wrenching. The Texas fans had all gone to get a snack and everyone was shocked to see we'd let em score before the end of the half. That was a real back breaker in the game, because we come out of the half with the ball, it would have been a real game. It's not the D's fault they were told to play that scheme, but this is the first time I've disagreed with Van V.

On a positive note, the guy that covered Lester all night was going to leave after last season because his NFL draft prospects were so high, and Lester made him look like a joke. The kid can play.

A great trip overall to a pretty fun town, I ended up at the famous "Salt Lick" BBQ last night after the game and I have to say, there aren't enough BYOB restaurants in Florida, what an awesome concept!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

While the score looks kind of bad, the game was close through 3 qtrs. and as usual, we don't have the depth to stay with the "big boys" a full game.

Better recruiting will help that and it is amazing to hear that with just a few plays being different, we actually could have been ahead at the half - think South Carolina just last year.

Small programs ALWAYS have to play a perfect full game to pull these upsets, even if they are having on off year. Good job Owls…someday soon!
Back to the top

Just no margin for error in a game like this, and the Hail Mary was a backbreaker.  The INT after the first goal line stand hurt a great deal too.  Should have been closer than 24-7 at the half.

I can't agree regarding the FG on the last drive of the first half though.  We were at the 37 after the bad snap, not the 32.  That's a 54 yarder, and Texas had already partially blocked a punt and a FG earlier.  A punt probably ends up being a touchback.  With the pass play we end up turning the ball over on the Texas 18.  Not that big a difference, but two extra yards for the D to work with with only 40 seconds left.  There's just no excuse for giving up 82 yards in 40 seconds like that after making them burn their timeouts, no matter who you're playing.

Halftime adjustments were very good this game; Jean was consistenly open in the third quarter and Morris finally got some running room.  17 points instead of what should have been 7 (the 10 point swing at the end of the half) or even fewer (since we handed them the first 7 with the INT on the 9)…just too much to overcome.

Frustrating year with Troy and MTSU being so vulnerable.  Not taking care of business against UNT ended up haunting us all year.  Which, IMO, was a hangover from the final three minutes at Detroit.
Back to the top

Game Day Thread: FAU @ Texas - 11/20/10 @ 3:30 p.m.

Just catching up, but some great posts on the tail end of this thread!
Back to the top
Control functions: